Body Shaming - Your Views/Opinions and Experiences

Options

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    Disagree. Not speaking up gives the impression that no one objects, and the behavior continues unabated.
    Let's test that theory.
    Right now you are refreshing your screen to come back and see if I retorted. Right?
    And you would keep doing so, until I responded.
    And you would have felt "let-down" if I in turn, never countered or posted back.
    And now that I have retorted, you are already crafting, in your mind, a witty, powerful, "show-stopper" of a response.
    And I planned the whole thing, from the second I posted word one.

People that are easily offended, are easily controlled.
    When you know how someone is going to react, you can calculate ways to manipulate those individuals... like I just did here to prove my point.

(Not that you're easily offended... I'm just evil, and REALLY REALLY good at winning arguments :smiley: )

Unrelated, I like your glasses.

You want to know what's funny? I went off to get some work done and forgot all about this thread until now...

Thank you for the compliment!

• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Google image search of this model is NSFW. She is obviously verrrrry comfortable with her "plus-sizedness". :o
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    as someone who has lost 113lbs...im not in favor od shaming people, but lets be real.....plus size models are fat and we shouldnt be enabling fatness.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    Why do you care what other people think?
    if I cared I wouldnt quote this remark and reply. Oh wait...FARKKKKKKK
  • greenminimalist
    Options
    I body-shame myself all the time, and I have been at both ends of the spectrum. I never feel I can win. I'm either too fat or I'm too skinny. Which is it? It's whatever works for them at the time. I'm a happy healthy size 14.

I blame half of my issue on the media, half on my family and friends out of jealously.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    as someone who has lost 113lbs...im not in favor od shaming people, but lets be real.....plus size models are fat and we shouldnt be enabling fatness.
    "enabling unhealthy lifestyles"
    Agreed.

I liked fatness better, but we can go with the more appropriate PC term, since I dont want to be banned by the mods for the 6th time.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    I body-shame myself all the time, and I have been at both ends of the spectrum. I never feel I can win. I'm either too fat or I'm too skinny. Which is it? It's whatever works for them at the time. I'm a happy healthy size 14.

I blame half of my issue on the media, half on my family and friends out of jealously.

none of it is the stupid mirror's fault? I kid, I kid.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    What gets me is that a lot of body-shaming is really just a constant reminder that women's bodies are public property. Like I OWE it to all the dudes out there to watch my weight so they can enjoy looking at me.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    "enabling unhealthy lifestyles"
    Agreed.

I liked fatness better, but we can go with the more appropriate PC term, since I dont want to be banned by the mods for the 6th time.
    6??
    Oh, young Jedi. The force is strong in you, but you still have much to learn.
    I could knock 6 out in a weekend. Hahaha

Young Jedi? Ah, Grand Poobah, Its been a while since Ive been young and I am none too wise be a jedi. Still, being banned 6x and not having to deac and getting back in the forums, does show a modicum of skill, does it not?
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    What gets me is that a lot of body-shaming is really just a constant reminder that women's bodies are public property. Like I OWE it to all the dudes out there to watch my weight so they can enjoy looking at me.

well, uh. Yes.

• LoneWolf_70
    Options
    public property usually requires constant upkeep and care, so I assume you're especially well groomed? #askingforafriend
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    "Too thin or too fat - body shaming is NOT cool."

"they will never feel good enough unless they are starving themselves or pumping themselves with steroids to achieve what we now portray as 'beautiful'."

these two statements contradict each other. If body shaming is not cool, why imply that people who have reached society's "ideal" must be deprived to the point of unhealthy or using enhancement drugs? That's the same as assuming that all overweight people drink so much soda that their blood is 50% corn syrup and risk heart attacks simply by looking at a treadmill. :\

I agree that body shaming is unacceptable, but it goes both ways. Be more careful what you put out there - it comes back to you.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

I didn't think she looked fat. She isn't model thin.

I don't know that plus size models that look more like someone of average weight enable obesity.

Do you think Meghan Trainor enables fatness with it's all about the bass?

I have no argument here. I am torn. I want people to feel good in their own skin. I also know there can be issues with being overweight.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I've experienced skinny shaming much more than fat shaming.

Been there too .. neither is a good thing. I am much happier being some where in the middle.