The 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving dinner -- myth or reality?

Options
12346»

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cup and some of gravy, butter in everything, pie, cookies, wine, cheeses, dinner rolls slathered in more butter... oh and portioning, what is that again? That figure sounds legit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think I could eat 3000 including wine and dessert.
    Low performer.

I'm shooting for 3k in pumpkin pie and pumpkin ale.

Oh. No one calls me a low performer. It's on. I will eat SIX THOUSAND in pie and wine.
    just... more pie than wine.

Well... maybe more wine than pie actually. Pie rental. lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think I could eat 3000 including wine and dessert.
    Low performer.

I'm shooting for 3k in pumpkin pie and pumpkin ale.

Oh. No one calls me a low performer. It's on. I will eat SIX THOUSAND in pie and wine.
    just... more pie than wine.

Well... maybe more wine than pie actually. Pie rental. lol.

I wonder how much pie and wine that would be...maybe like one and a half pies and a bottle of wine?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Well, I have a raw vegan coconut pie I make...
    6k per pie. Super easy to eat the whole thing.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well, I have a raw vegan coconut pie I make...
    6k per pie. Super easy to eat the whole thing.

dayum. I was way off. Are you vegan? Vegan goodies give me such a bad stomach ache.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh god no.

I do like to eat the food that my food eats from time to time. Just for perspective. Most vegan goodies are bunk, but... this one... oh man. This one. It's a coconut cream pie.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh god no.

I do like to eat the food that my food eats from time to time. Just for perspective. Most vegan goodies are bunk, but... this one... oh man. This one. It's a coconut cream pie.

Sounds delicious. Pie=My favorite dessert.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    From all of the family Thanksgiving dinners I've ever been at, with multiple families, I don't think it's an exaggeration at all and 3,000 average calories sounds about right.

For realz. (*)

• dbmata
    Options
    I snagged the recipe from this hipster goofball cult hippy place in SF called Cafe Gratitude. They had dishes, that didn't have names of like food, but were affirmations.

You didn't order a cold strawberry and tomato soup. You ordered a "I am Adventurous."

This coconut pie though, you could go in and buy the cream by the pint for $15 (back in 07), easily 3k calories in it, and I "accidently" ate one full pint while doing homework once...

This year though, beta testing a new recipe, pumpkin meringue pie.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Dude, I think 3,000 calories is totally realistic. Last year, I tracked everything I ate to the best of my ability, and I ate pretty moderately... and I still logged about 2,700 calories. So 3,000 honestly seems about right.
  • arditarose
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »
    Dude, I think 3,000 calories is totally realistic. Last year, I tracked everything I ate to the best of my ability, and I ate pretty moderately... and I still logged about 2,700 calories. So 3,000 honestly seems about right.

For dinner or the whole day?
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When my family gets together for Thanskgiving ... it is a feast, visually and gastronomically. We always say we'll cut back next year and then we don't.

Usually have some appetizers around ... like shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, cheese slices and pepperoni, crackers, veggie bowl with dip, maybe some one brings a crab dip, or hummus, or a taco dip. There's always some candy around ... not much, but some. Maybe some nuts also.

Then comes dinner ...
    salad
    Turkey or ham, take your pick cause they are both there. Sometimes a chicken also.
    stuffing, with meat in it ... two kinds, one inside the bird and one in the casserole dish.
    mashed potatoes ... the regular kind made with butter and milk
    yams
    broccoli
    brussel sprouts
    corn
    canned cranberry jelly
    home made fresh cranberry and citrus salad
    carrot/pineapple mold (made with whipped cream)
    home made butter rolls --- enough for everyone to have several if they want.
    butter
    gravy
    milk if you want it
    pop if you drink it
    coffee, tea, water ... take your pick
    a bottle or two of wine for those that drink it

Then ... comes the dessert
    pumpkin pie
    apple pie
    cream pie with coconut
    cream pie with banana
    cream chocolate pie
    sometimes we have a cheese cake
    maybe a dump bread like banana or blueberry bundt if someone brings it.

It's all there ... you take your pick of what and how much you want. There are usually enough left overs for each family to take a bunch of food stuffs home ... you usually go home with more food than what you brought and feast for days.

The reason we go so nuts is because we are a largish group and everyone has favorites. So those favorites are included in the choices. Some eat lots and lots, some not ... it's all good. We all feel good when we end the night and our belts didn't have to get undone.

It's what you make it.

• thedaydreamer92
    thedaydreamer92 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had an early Thanksgiving dinner the other day. It wasn't as bad as some people's feast are, but it was about 1,400 calories for everything.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    We don't thanksgiving in Australia, but Xmas? Sure. Wine, lollies, cheese, salami, other cold meats, dips, crackers, cherries, then the main meal (usually cold food as it's the middle of summer here) potato, pasta salad, cold chicken, ham, prawns (with seafood sauce), then pudding, icecream and custard or pavalova or trifle or other desert. I would say 3000 cals would be a very very low estimate. I can do 3000 cals in wine alone (at 750 cals a bottle).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    lift, eat, be merry.

#gainz
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lmao, 3000 sounds low when I consider the sheer amount of food my dad's sister's family prepares each year. My seemingly always hungry cousins could pound that out, no prob. It really isn't the meat, either - it's the mashed potatoes, potato salad, endless SODA, mac and cheese, cocktail weiners, desserts and various sauces/toppings that do it. Let's not even talk about the SODIUM.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not going to bother looking up the cals cuz I don't care, it's Thanksgiving and I freaking love food. I typically eat..

The turkey with the skin, sometimes extra skin on the side
    The brown sugar spiraled ham with a few heaping tablespoons of the brown sugar goodness over it
    At least four deviled eggs
    At least ten swedish meatballs
    One cup of mashed potatoes with gravy
    Two cups of stuffing (cuz, yknow, I gotta try the kind from the box and the kind that was cooked in the turkey)
    One cup sweet potato casserole with the marshmallow noms on top
    Half a cup cranberry sauce
    Two buttered rolls
    Lord knows how much "cheese stuff" (this dip my dad makes where he combines all kinds of soft cheeses together with worcestershire sauce) and celery
    One cup of squash/mushrooms/whatever veggie is there
    An endless amount of mixed nuts. Especially the cashews and pistachios, because I'm that person that picks out specific nuts from the bowl

I'm probably missing a few side dishes but that's the stuff I go for first.

And that is just the regular food. I'll also be putting away some alcohol, and sample each of the desserts (ambrosia, coconut cream pie, lemon meringue, chocolate meringue). I don't like pumpkin pie much so skipping over that one.

I. Can't. Wait.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Maybe it was a typo? Maybe they meant 3,000 calories for the day?

The claim I saw last year was that it was 3,000 for the meal ALONE, plus 1,500 calories in appetizers, plus whatever you eat at the other two meals. 3,000 for the day would be easy-peasy.

I have to confess -- appetizers on Thanksgiving are a foreign concept to me. When I was growing up, we had Thanksgiving dinner mid-day (1-ish) and we weren't supposed to eat anything before dinner because Mom didn't want us to "spoil our appetite."

And I did, indeed, as some have pointed out, forget the yams. Dang. And I did probably pile too much meat on the plate.