What are you reading? Would you recommend it?

Options

Replies

• Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just finished NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, and the Unwind series. Both really good
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl...it's alright. It's trying a bit too hard.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm reading The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers. I'm reading it for a freelance job and I'm only through the first two chapters, but the writing is good and it's a good story so far.

I most recently finished (for myself) Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Not the best book ever, but enjoyable. And the last book I gave more than three stars to was Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It's the first from The Dresden Files. It was a quick, easy read. A little bit noir, but fun. I've been told they get better, but I haven't had a chance to try another one.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I recently finished Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult (do not recommend), and The Invention of Wings (do recommend). I'm currently reading King's newest, Revival - so far, it's fabulous.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    NutureShock, by Po Bensen
    What if we told you... that dishonesty in children is a positive trait that arguing in front of your kids can make you a good role model and that if you praise your children you risk making them fail ...and it was all true?
    nurtureshock.jpg
  • TeddyCharlton
    TeddyCharlton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "Boys in the Boat", absolutely a great read. PNW crew team over comes a tremendous amount to gain the gold in Germany...1936. Incredible read.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Reading Revival by Stephen King right now - his newest that just came out. Halfway through it, it's good. Mr. Mercedes, his last one, was good too! I'm also working on re-reading the Legend series by Marie Lu, those are excellent. Her newest, The Young Elite is quite good. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater is a lovely read a well. One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here's a few I recently enjoyed.
    Pillar to the Sky William Forstchen
    One Second After William Forstchen
    Silo Series by Hugh Howey (1. Wood 2. Shift 3. Dust)
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    naiharvest wrote: »
    A Clockwork Orange.
    I've seen the movie before and liked it so I was curious about the book.
    So far so good.
    I've never read that. It's funny how many books I haven't read because I really loved the movie. And yet, the book is always better!

• Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Reading Revival by Stephen King right now - his newest that just came out. Halfway through it, it's good. Mr. Mercedes, his last one, was good too! I'm also working on re-reading the Legend series by Marie Lu, those are excellent. Her newest, The Young Elite is quite good. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater is a lovely read a well. One of the most beautiful books I've ever read.

I was really excited for Legend, but it ended up reading like bad fanfic to me. Really Mary Suey.

It was a shame because I really wanted to like it, I'm glad you did though! :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Currently working through the collected stories of H. P. Lovecraft. I always enjoy going back to the father of modern horror around Halloween (started a few weeks ago). He's definitely racist, but I can write it off as a product of the times and of his general fear of absolutely everything. Debating rereading Catch 22 next or reading Team of Rivals.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Re-reading Death Masks by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) right now just for fun. Also 15 pages left of a copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey stashed under the bathroom sink at work. Soooo very much better than the movie.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Just finished this thread and it wasn't that great.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading King's newest, Revival - so far, it's fabulous.
    I want to read both that one, and Mr. Mercedes, but they're both rather expensive for Kindle. Funny- It never bothered me to pay $25 for a hardback- but paying $12 for something that doesn't really exist I find kind of offensive.

• mccindy72
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »
    I want to read both that one, and Mr. Mercedes, but they're both rather expensive for Kindle. Funny- It never bothered me to pay $25 for a hardback- but paying $12 for something that doesn't really exist I find kind of offensive.

Pretty sure it exists, as I'm reading it right now. When I get done, I'll re-read Mr. Mercedes. Just as I would with a paper book. If it didn't exist, I couldn't read it....
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. Definitely recommend it! A Song of Ice and Fire is awesome!

8830689.png
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Jury is still out on the recommendation, I'm only 100 pages in, but so far I'm enjoying it!

If you're only 100 pages in on The Gunslinger, you have such marvels ahead of you, my dear. The entire series is a marvel. Each book gets better. You'll be so invested by book 7, you will weep, I guarantee it.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    Currently working through the collected stories of H. P. Lovecraft. I always enjoy going back to the father of modern horror around Halloween (started a few weeks ago). He's definitely racist, but I can write it off as a product of the times and of his general fear of absolutely everything. Debating rereading Catch 22 next or reading Team of Rivals.

great to see another HPL fan!

I'm kind of stuck on a few books. I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to lately. I'm in the middle of The City and the City by China Miéville, and God and the Multiverse: Humanity's Expanding View of the Cosmos by Victor Stenger. Both are great so far. I hope to get back to them soon.

I also kind of started Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain, but am going to start that over after I finish God and The Multiverse.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »

I *really* enjoyed Mr. Mercedes.

What about the library? Do you use Overdrive?