Ladies, what do you bench press?

Options
124»

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Did 3 reps at 50kg tuesday...um so 110lb? Have only been doing it about 5 weeks though
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ya'll done good there.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Warmup with 1x10 @ 95lbs, for my working sets depends on the number of reps I'm doing...right now for 8 repsx4 I lift 125lbs
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My squat is only 10lbs more than my bench. I suck at the squats. :'(
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Jeez, any tips or advice as to how I can improve (increase weight) on bench pressing. Thus far my max is 4 reps at 40#. I would really like to add more weight, but 40# is a struggle for me.

Great job!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    amessam8 wrote: »
    Jeez, any tips or advice as to how I can improve (increase weight) on bench pressing. Thus far my max is 4 reps at 40#. I would really like to add more weight, but 40# is a struggle for me.

Great job!

Follow a program that has you increasing reps and/or weight on a regular basis. All Pro's beginner, Stronglifts, etc. Also, your diet can play a factor. I don't mean "clean eating." I mean eating enough to fuel your body, whether at deficit or maintenance or while gaining weight.
  • dbmata
    Options

Great job!

and really review your form. Keep in mind as well, you can lift more with a barbell than a dumb bell. Open grip, elbows in at 45 degrees, right bar path, and bringing the bar to your nipple line. (Well, I don't know if that's right for women...)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Great job!

and really review your form. Keep in mind as well, you can lift more with a barbell than a dumb bell. Open grip, elbows in at 45 degrees, right bar path, and bringing the bar to your nipple line. (Well, I don't know if that's right for women...)

Actually I prefer a bit lower; hitting my xyphoid process. When I arch, that's the highest point off the bench.

• dbmata
    Options
    some of the arches I've seen are pretty intense, and your bar point is really low. I tried for that once and ended up losing the bar and it ejecting towards my feet. Unexpectedly funny.
  • kimdaygettingfit
    Options
    I'm a baby lifter [...I don't lift babies; I should say I'm a newbie to lifting]. Started in Mid-October:
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 155 :neutral_face:
    Current bench: 65lbs x 8 reps
  • kserres32
    Options
    I love to see so many women lifters on here! I'm doing circuit work at the moment so am lifting light for me.

Current bench - 2x8 @ 115

I maxed out at 190 earlier this year. I've been lifting a long time though so all of you keep up the good work!
  • cierrashadows
    Options
    I got up to 95lbs a couple weeks ago! 105lbs is great!!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Few tips for anyone trying to improve bench press which will improve a lift almost instantly.

Make sure you really squeeze the bar the entire time. Squeeze it like you are trying to crush the bar between your fingers. You'll be able to lift a noticeably more amount of weight just by squeezing as hard as you can.

Drive your feet into the ground. Pretend like you are trying to push the earth away from you. A strong lift starts with a strong foundation.

Push your chest out and retract your shoulder blades in the back. Pretend like you have an object in between your shoulders and you are trying to pinch it there and hold it. This will protect your shoulders.

Never use a suicide grip. It is the dumbest thing in the world and you're asking for trouble. Wrap that thumb around the bar every single time.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^That.

Once you get your body into the proper position and your form is locked-in, you're more like a spring than anything in this movement - just ah, don't bounce the bar off your chest.