Day 5... Getting nowhere :/

Options
I have been making a real effort here to change how I eat, and how I spend my free time, and to no avail. I can not seem to budge the scale at all... I am quickly losing any type of will power and motivation that I started out with here!

Replies

• SydneyMichelle1127
    Options
    Give it some time, darlin'. Rome wasn't built in a day. :) Just stay positive and know that you are stronger than you think. Make sure you absolutely do not drink your calories. Even if it's a rocky start, it doesn't mean it's the end. You're capable of doing anything if you want it bad enough to reach hard for it. You'll see results after a month if you hold yourself accountable and stay on track. Don't give up! :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It didn't take you 5 days to get where you are now, it's going to a while to get where you want to be.

A few things that might help:

Make sure you log EVERYTHING. The butter you cook your eggs in. The sprinkle of olive oil you add to your pasta so it doesn't stick. The handful of almonds you grabbed, and the sugar in your coffee. If you don't have a food scale, get one. Weigh everything, even pre-packaged things. Measure all liquids. Don't use entries like medium banana or small orange - those are estimations. Be as absolutely accurate as you can.

If you're going to use MFP's exercise database, log half of the actual workout minutes. I find MFP's estimations to be very high.

Make sure you have the correct activity level set on here. You need to make sure you're active if you put active in there - you get a bigger calorie allotment the more active you are.

5 days is nothing, though it feels like it right now. You can do this. It's worth it.
  • TommyBoy_
    Options
    When I first started exercising intensely and eating right I saw no changes for 2 weeks (actually my weight went up slightly). Keep doing what you're doing as your body will take time to adjust. If you've started exercising your body will be retaining water to protect and repair muscles that you haven't previously used to this extent.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    rkg2014 wrote: »
    It didn't take you 5 days to get where you are now, it's going to a while to get where you want to be.

Make sure you log EVERYTHING. The butter you cook your eggs in. The sprinkle of olive oil you add to your pasta so it doesn't stick. The handful of almonds you grabbed, and the sugar in your coffee. If you don't have a food scale, get one. Weigh everything, even pre-packaged things. Measure all liquids. Don't use entries like medium banana or small orange - those are estimations. Be as absolutely accurate as you can.

If you're going to use MFP's exercise database, log half of the actual workout minutes. I find MFP's estimations to be very high.

Make sure you have the correct activity level set on here. You need to make sure you're active if you put active in there - you get a bigger calorie allotment the more active you are.

5 days is nothing, though it feels like it right now. You can do this. It's worth it.

culinary student here...you DO NOT add any type of oil to pasta while it's cooking.

Um I don't. It's after it's drained, before it's served.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    calories in, calories out. It is definitely a math thing. Also get some friends on here for support, it helps a lot. you can do this.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Did you gain all that weight in 5 days? The answer is no, and it takes time to lose it. You need to have patience. This is a lifestyle change, and it's going to be slow, but you have to stick with it. If you keep it up, you will see progress. But it takes time. To give you an idea, I've been doing this faithfully for one year, and have only lost 20 pounds. Granted, I didn't have much to lose to begin with, but I'm only losing like 2 pounds a month. Easy to give up when it's that slow. But I'm still here, and I'm 20 pounds lighter because of it. You will too if you keep doing it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. When you first start out, five days feels like a really long time! But you just need to give it more time.

You might find this post very informative--I know that I did. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You can do this!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

culinary student here...you DO NOT add any type of oil to pasta while it's cooking.

do you put any type of sauce on it?

Homemade tomato sauce usually. Why?
  • RivenV
    edited November 2014
    Options

/clutches pearls

But the oil keeps the sauce from sticking to the noodles, as well as to each other!

/fans self

*Edit: not a culinary student.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    5 days is too short of a period to evaluate your results. Keep working and results will come
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »

/clutches pearls

But the oil keeps the sauce from sticking to the noodles, as well as to each other!

/fans self

Oh my. May I borrow your fan?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Day 5? Nothing happens in 5 days. That's not even a week. What results are you looking for in that time frame?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

You do if it's brown rice pasta. The instruction are on the box. Just sayin'.

Aaaaaanyway.....OP, be patient. Give it at least a few weeks. And read that sexypants thread that RivenV posted. It is fantastic information.
  • RivenV
    Options

/clutches pearls

/fans self

Of course!

Honestly, I've done it both ways and the difference is marginal, at best. I just knew where that person was going.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

/clutches pearls

/fans self

Of course!

Honestly, I've done it both ways and the difference is marginal, at best. I just knew where that person was going.

After being married to a chef, I pucker as soon as someone states their "qualifications" before giving culinary advice.

Disclaimer: NOT a chef or culinary student. Just a lady who really likes to cook--which is why I'm fat and on MFP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's been five days. Be patient.
  • TomInAiken
    TomInAiken Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you set realistic goals for yourself? Break them down into small steps and write them down with an estimated date you want to complete them. Use MFP to establish a workable daily calorie intake based on how much exercise you are committed to do (what is termed "Net Calories"). Then choose a diet plan that makes sense to you. Don't jump on the fad bandwagon - spend some time researching the multitude of plans available then choose one that makes sense to you and that you will commit to follow. Get some MFP friends to help you - there are thousands of success stories here and every one of them started somewhere. Think positive.
  • mikeRVA88
    mikeRVA88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Does it matter? Her point is spot on
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

If you want the sauce to actually stick to the pasta (like it's supposed to), you don't add oil to it...first thing we learned in school...lol

I've been cooking from scratch for over 15 years. I'll stick with my way, thanks. :)