Day 5... Getting nowhere :/

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you think will happen in just 5 days?
  • marlanaperry
    marlanaperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You won't see results in 5 days, and if you do, they're unhealthy results! weight loss that is sustainable and healthy will take a while. Hang in there! Also, the scale is the worst measurement of improvement. My scale hasn't budged in two weeks, but I have seen real improvement in that time. Go by how you feel, not by what that stupid scale says!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You won't see results in 5 days, and if you do, they're unhealthy results! weight loss that is sustainable and healthy will take a while. Hang in there! Also, the scale is the worst measurement of improvement. My scale hasn't budged in two weeks, but I have seen real improvement in that time. Go by how you feel, not by what that stupid scale says!

This is a good point, but also take measurements! They are a great indicator of success and you'll be amazed how many you lose.
  • DJ_1977
    DJ_1977 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been making a real effort here to change how I eat, and how I spend my free time, and to no avail. I can not seem to budge the scale at all... I am quickly losing any type of will power and motivation that I started out with here!

To be honest, 5 days is a very short period of time. Like some of people commenting with SUPPORTIVE feedback (not the *kitten* about pasta), you need to have a little more patience. As for what you're going through right now, try to think of it as your "first plateau". Because this isn't the first time it's happened. And it definitely won't be the last. - 5 days - and no results at all? This is a great initial challenge within the big battle to obtain your ultimate goal.

Right now, this is a challenge of "will power". How bad to you really want to succeed?

You have already taken the first step by downloading the app, logging your meals and exercises, and taking part in this "SUPPORTIVE" community. So, I think it's fair to say that you want to succeed pretty bad. As it was said before, "... have more patience". And you will get through this.

However, you (just like many of us) are just going to have to dig a little more deeper. Keep strong and focused. The results will come, I promise.

- DJ

P.S.
    I just started 3 weeks ago. A loss of 7lbs in the first 2 weeks. Now, on a deadlock plateau in this 3rd week.

But I refuse to let this get to me. I know it's just a matter of time.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is magical. But it is not quick. Effort you put in = results you get out.
  • KendraMartin85
    Options
    Keep up the good work girl. And every time you feel temptation, focus on how hard you've worked so far. Will that two second indulgence be worth the last week/month/year of will power, hard work and dedication?? Also, remember to drink water. Sounds dumb, but a lot of times we eat when we are bored, or just dehydrated. Drink water, wait 15 min and if you're still hungry, eat...healthy. Use smaller plates, to help with portion sizes.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day. Hence it will take longer than five days to learn how to take care of yourself. Keep weighing and logging your food. Keep moving your bod. Good things come to those that take charge.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I can't beleive somebody flagged the OP on this?
  • gossett331
    gossett331 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm only at day three myself. Just keep trying and remember to tell yourself it will take time, weight goes on really fast but it comes off slowly. Also try no to step on the scale every day. That's something I struggle with, but I find it just discourages me from sticking to my goals. I try to weigh my self only once a week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TommyBoy_ wrote: »
    When I first started exercising intensely and eating right I saw no changes for 2 weeks (actually my weight went up slightly). Keep doing what you're doing as your body will take time to adjust. If you've started exercising your body will be retaining water to protect and repair muscles that you haven't previously used to this extent.

I agree with this.

OP...5 days is nothing. I don't say that to be harsh/rude. I promise.

I started in March 2013 at 262 lb. It wasn't magical. I was down 3-4 lb in 30 days. But when that continues, you wind up being successful. By the 1 year mark I had lost 70 lb and now 90 lb on this site.

Honestly most of the people I know both on MFP and in real life, who have STAYED at their goal weight and/or continued losing steadily, had an average rate or even much slower than average loss. Sure there are wild success stories of the person who lost 50 lb in 2 months and kept it off. There's less glamour I guess in losing 100 lb over 2-3 years.

Patience. Sign on for the LONG TERM. You don't even have to make super drastic changes all at once, either. You're receiving a lot of good advice here.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's not a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change. It's taken me two years to lose 23 lbs. I'm still trying, but it takes time.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    And what if I don't like sticky sauce, hmm?

OP, like others have said, it took more than 5 days to put on the weight. It will take more than 5 days for it to come off. Slow and steady wins the race around here.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be trying to take on too much too fast. Try just one change at a time, and maybe things won't be so frustrating. Losing weight isn't easy or quick, and sometimes the math just doesn't work out the way it's supposed to. Be patient with yourself and focus on the little things, like eating more vegetables than you usually would, or being able to walk longer than you used to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Dude! Give it a week at LEAST. I know you want to see it gone now. Just keep at it and the weight loss fairy will come (this is how I picture it, similar to tooth fairy).
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to be reassured that weight going up in the beginning is normal. I knew I'd gain from muscle, but I didn't realize that cutting my calories way down wouldn't make up for that weight at all.

Best of luck to you, OP, and I hope you stick with it!
  • KPeriandri
    KPeriandri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me anytime you need to vent. Your body is changing whether the scale or tape measure shows it! 5 days is so soon to see any kind of results but don't let the lack of "instant gratification" trick your mind into thinking you can't do this.. because you CAN.
    Imagine yourself feeling amazing, a new you.
    Set goals for yourself! I do mini-goals.. baby steps. I treat myself to something every time Iose 10 pounds.. my second goal is right around the corner!
    You were strong enough to make the change, to start your journey.. that is the hardest part! You are well on your way to positive change. Keep your head up and keep moving forward. Soon enough, you will be boasting about your first goal being met!
    ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to be reassured that weight going up in the beginning is normal. I knew I'd gain from muscle, but I didn't realize that cutting my calories way down wouldn't make up for that weight at all.

You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Might be water weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You don't gain muscle in a calorie deficit; it's actually water retention when you begin a new exercise routine.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks Arditarose and Malibu927! I was unaware of that and clearly need to spend more time reading up on fitness.
  • KPeriandri
    KPeriandri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    DJ_1977 wrote: »
    I have been making a real effort here to change how I eat, and how I spend my free time, and to no avail. I can not seem to budge the scale at all... I am quickly losing any type of will power and motivation that I started out with here!

To be honest, 5 days is a very short period of time. Like some of people commenting with SUPPORTIVE feedback (not the *kitten* about pasta), you need to have a little more patience. As for what you're going through right now, try to think of it as your "first plateau". Because this isn't the first time it's happened. And it definitely won't be the last. - 5 days - and no results at all? This is a great initial challenge within the big battle to obtain your ultimate goal.

Right now, this is a challenge of "will power". How bad to you really want to succeed?

You have already taken the first step by downloading the app, logging your meals and exercises, and taking part in this "SUPPORTIVE" community. So, I think it's fair to say that you want to succeed pretty bad. As it was said before, "... have more patience". And you will get through this.

However, you (just like many of us) are just going to have to dig a little more deeper. Keep strong and focused. The results will come, I promise.

- DJ

P.S.
    I just started 3 weeks ago. A loss of 7lbs in the first 2 weeks. Now, on a deadlock plateau in this 3rd week.

But I refuse to let this get to me. I know it's just a matter of time.

THIS! Positivity. Surround yourself with it. Everyone has plateaus and everyone gets deadlocked at a weight.. ugh.. almost 3 weeks for me recently and it was KILLER. I kept pushing and moving and making smart choices.. the plateau is behind me.
    Also, keep up the good work, DJ! Your post made me smile. There aren't enough people on here helping.. someone always has something to say to bring others down.. it is so amazing to hear good, honest, kind people commenting (cheers to those above as well!)