If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    hahaha, just started watching that show.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What you describe is an eating disorder. I'm glad you've gotten a handle on it, and I hope you're able to one day address it in full. But that's really not the same thing as an addiction. A true addiction is a biological process.

Now, for the general population who don't have disordered eating patterns, eating too many calories is the problem, not binging on specific foods. Eating all foods in moderation does not make the average person sick, as is suggested in the OP.
    Interestingly, only substance addictions and gambling addiction are recognized in the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). Behavioral addictions have been proposed as a new class in DSM-5, but a gambling addiction is the only category currently included. Other "behavioral addictions" (food, sex, shopping, etc.) are not currently included.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    What you describe is an eating disorder. I'm glad you've gotten a handle on it, and I hope you're able to one day address it in full. But that's really not the same thing as an addiction. A true addiction is a biological process.

Now, for the general population who don't have disordered eating patterns, eating too many calories is the problem, not binging on specific foods. Eating all foods in moderation does not make the average person sick, as is suggested in the OP.
    Interestingly, only substance addictions and gambling addiction are recognized in the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). Behavioral addictions have been proposed as a new class in DSM-5, but a gambling addiction is the only category currently included. Other "behavioral addictions" (food, sex, shopping, etc.) are not currently included.
    Hmmm...that doesn't make much sense, now does it?
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow. I've just read all 25 pages of this thread. Around the baking soda bit I realized that this thread had become a train wreck, and I had accidentally walked into it with a can of gasoline in my hand. I thought I was responding to the OP and had no idea my post was on page 23, long after the OP was dead. And I too am beginning to suspect the OP was a troll.

This certainly has been highly entertaining.

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I think I will go get a cookie now.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Deidre, I hope the days to come are much better for you and that you can put all that behind you. xx
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    [quote="EatsNotTreats;

Australia now sounds even more awesome.[/quote]

Yes, Australia is a great place to live, I am very lucky. :) But if things go on the way they are we will no longer continue to be the lucky country. For the first time ever, children of today have a shorter lifespan than their parents. They are our grandchildren and things need to change if they are to have a bright future. Something is not right and the first place to look is at the food they are eating.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    Poor food, poor health, poor diet is killing more people than Cocaine.
    This part, at least, is true.

Is there data to back that up? Sounds absurd to me...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

Seeing as ischemic heart disease (heart attack) is directly related to diet the majority of the time, I would say so.

That's interesting, let's look at the risk factors. Risk factors (dietary) include high blood pressure, high cholesterol and or triglycerides, diabetes and obesity. That's interesting because it's the obesity that is most directly related to high blood pressure. May or may not be related to cholesterol. Definetely related to diabetes. Food in and of itself does not make us obese though, over-eaitng and sedentary lifestyle (no exercise) make us obese.

Other risk factors: tobacco use, age, family history, lack of physical activity, stress, illegal drug use, preeclampsia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. None related to diet...

So I would say heart attack is not directly related to diet at all...

Then you're fooling yourself.

In the majority of cases, no. Diet is not related directly to heart attack. A sedentary lifestyle and overeating any type of food at all, regardless of type, leading to obesity, will cause a major increase in the risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cancer. Genetics alone can cause an increase in the risk of higher cholesterol. You cannot blame any specific food group or diet on a higher level of cholesterol or risk of heart attack in the general population. Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women because there is an obesity epidemic happening not only in our own country but in almost all first-world countries.

And the obesity epidemic is related to an excess of food consumed ie diet.

I don't think anyone said any specific food group was responsible fir obesity but an excess intake of calories certainly is - hence diet, ie eating excess amounts, is related to heart attacks ( not the only factor, nobody is saying that either - but a very significant factor )

Along with lack of activity, sitting in front of the TV or computer, driving everywhere etc. Also, genetics.

Yes, no-one said diet was the only factor in obesity, of course inactivity is too.
    and no one said obesity, caused largely by diet, ie consuming an excess amount of calories, is the only factor in heart disease (in fact i made a point of saying it was not the only factor.)
    Nevertheless it is a very significant factor and it is a factor over which we have control - we cannot control our genetics or our gender - but we can control our weight.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Deidre, I hope the days to come are much better for you and that you can put all that behind you. xx

Thank you! I've been off the dessert cart for nearly 10 years, so it's all good now. I liken it to an ex-boyfriend -- I loved him then but there's no way I'm going back.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    Poor food, poor health, poor diet is killing more people than Cocaine.
    This part, at least, is true.

Is there data to back that up? Sounds absurd to me...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

Seeing as ischemic heart disease (heart attack) is directly related to diet the majority of the time, I would say so.

That's interesting, let's look at the risk factors. Risk factors (dietary) include high blood pressure, high cholesterol and or triglycerides, diabetes and obesity. That's interesting because it's the obesity that is most directly related to high blood pressure. May or may not be related to cholesterol. Definetely related to diabetes. Food in and of itself does not make us obese though, over-eaitng and sedentary lifestyle (no exercise) make us obese.

Other risk factors: tobacco use, age, family history, lack of physical activity, stress, illegal drug use, preeclampsia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. None related to diet...

So I would say heart attack is not directly related to diet at all...

Then you're fooling yourself.

In the majority of cases, no. Diet is not related directly to heart attack. A sedentary lifestyle and overeating any type of food at all, regardless of type, leading to obesity, will cause a major increase in the risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cancer. Genetics alone can cause an increase in the risk of higher cholesterol. You cannot blame any specific food group or diet on a higher level of cholesterol or risk of heart attack in the general population. Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women because there is an obesity epidemic happening not only in our own country but in almost all first-world countries.

Right, and diet=how much, as well as, what, you eat.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that most, if not all of the time when people bring up diet, it is generally more about the what then the how much.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I don't think anyone said any specific food group was responsible fir obesity

On the contrary they have... MFP is littered with people making the claim that sugar and "processed" carbs are the sole reason for obesity and disease...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in since Friday morning, and honestly, I'm a touch pleasantly surprised this thread is still going.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I haven't logged in since Friday morning, and honestly, I'm a touch pleasantly surprised this thread is still going.

Same here. But I kinda want the toxic chicken lady to come back.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Same here. But I kinda want the toxic chicken lady to come back.

Ditto. I was actually wondering if we could just sticky those 10 or so pages somewhere.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if we put toxic chicken lady, freelee the banana girl, the skinny stealther and RGv2 in the same room?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Yes, no-one said diet was the only factor in obesity, of course inactivity is too. and no one said obesity, caused largely by diet, ie consuming an excess amount of calories, is the only factor in heart disease (in fact i made a point of saying it was not the only factor.)
    Nevertheless it is a very significant factor and it is a factor over which we have control - we cannot control our genetics or our gender - but we can control our weight.

I would argue that obesity is less about diet and more about inactivity. No matter what diet you choose, you have to exercise daily in order to have success in the longterm. You can out-train a caloric surplus (within reason) but your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I wrote and truly believe the following statement -

I believe we are on the brink of a revolution to change the way people think about food as, certainly here in Australia, people are looking more and more at the types of food they eat and are starting to turn their backs on processed food because they are concerned about the additives and chemicals that are in that food.

really?

I havent noticed people in Australia doing that.

Yes paperpudding, things are changing and I am surprised you haven't noticed because it is all around us.

Currently, in Australia there is a petition to the Heart Foundation to revise their method of using and distributing the once highly respected "tick."
    It is now felt the "tick of approval" is given to the company with the most money regardless of whether their product is deemed by current changing views as to what is healthy. People are becoming more aware of what is a healthy product and what is not. Thus the petition "To Flick the Tick" Processed foods and additives are not deemed healthy - just profit making.

Restaurants are having to make adjustments to their menus to accommodate the changing tastes of customers and the trend toward gluten free and healthy. Paleo inspired restaurants are opening around the country.

One of the chef's from the highest rating cooking show on Australia TV has a Facebook following of nearly 400,000 people all learning about eating as close to nature as possible. His cookbooks are selling in massive numbers as are the following trends in cookbooks for 2014 -

1. Stovetop Travel.
    2. Live-Fire Cooking.
    3. Farm to Fork.
    4. Healthy, Healthy, Healthy.
    5. Gluten-Free Living.
    6. Eat Your Veggies.
    7&8. Wine Inspired cookbooks. (Oops how did they hit the list!!)

Fruits and vegetables shops are becoming highly successful and in the case of our small local shop, I counted 60 plus people in there when I passed yesterday.

My own friends are changing their eating habits and turning their backs on processed food & sugar and are reading labels and wanting to know where their food comes from and what is in it.

These are just my personal observations and there are many, many more.

Yes things are changing and I think for the better. :)

I'm in Australia and I haven't noticed it either.

Is the celebrity chef you are referring to 'Paleo' Pete Evans? He is considered a joke by most of the scientific and dietetic community. He talks such nonsense. I'm surprised that people are taken in by him, but I suppose it has a lot to do with his celeb profile, which I believe he abuses to spread his silliness. It's similar to the I Quit Sugar book by Sarah Whatshername, a model passing herself off as a nutrition expert, promoting fear-mongering.

I do think that it's great that people are embracing a healthy lifestyle, with increased intake of veges and fruit, and limiting highly processed calorie dense food, but it's a shame to see non-qualified celebs given credibility as believable sources of nutrition and health advice.

Instead of Paleo restaurants (which fortunately I haven't seen), I believe we need greater scientific literacy!

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    People have tread addictions.