If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options
1444546474850»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I just want everyone to know.

I ate some sodium bicarbonate. I just received my last rites.

Will I get better?

tumblr_mxueg1vp7G1sf53lco3_500.gif

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    If you make a burger with lean beef, you're still getting some fat, plus you're most likely going to add more fat when you cook it. Also, whole grain bread (especially if it's made from sprouted flour or sourdough) has more micro nutrients.

So lean beef is healthier because it has some fat and I'll probably add more fat when I cook it? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Which micro nutrients am I getting from whole grain bread (or sourdough) that I'm not getting from...less-than-whole grain bread? Are these micro nutrients in which I am deficient? (If not, do I get extra healthy credit for exceeding a certain amount of micro nutrients beyond what is necessary for optimal health?)
    For people that are trying to lower saturated fat consumption, going for a leaner cut of beef and cooking with plant based oil would do it.

As for whole grain bread, the fermentation process in sourdough allows the micronutrients (like magnesium) to be absorbed better. There are substances like phytic acid naturally occurring in grains that allow for lower nutrient absorption, whereas the sourdough process helps to neutralize this.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why would you lower fat consumption? If you're not eating at a surplus, restricting a need macro makes sense why?

Whole grain bread and sourdough are not the same things.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    If 40% of someone's calories happens to be from fat, it might not be a bad thing to lower it in that case.
    Also, it is possible to have whole grain sourdough bread. I regularly eat homemade bread that has been made from whole grain flour and has also been fermented.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't care what you think is possible. Whole grain bread does not mean sourdough, and vice versa. You can have sourdough whole grain bread, but that is a variant.

Also, if 40% of someone's calories are from fat, and there aren't existing health issues, why lower it? What would you replace it with? Why are you implying that dietary lipid intake is bad?
  • ForecasterJason
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't care what you think is possible. Whole grain bread does not mean sourdough, and vice versa. You can have sourdough whole grain bread, but that is a variant.

Also, if 40% of someone's calories are from fat, and there aren't existing health issues, why lower it? What would you replace it with? Why are you implying that dietary lipid intake is bad?
    Ok, I knew that whole grain bread is not automatically sourdough, but was simply using that as an example.

And I'm not saying that someone must reduce their fat consumption if they're at 40%, but if someone wants to increase their carb or protein consumption it would make sense to reduce fat.
    Essentially, I think the point that jgennace was making is that there's a difference between taking out some of the fat in the beef, replacing it with something like olive oil (if you cook it in that oil), versus simply getting a burger at a fast food place.
  • dbmata
    Options
    There is a very big difference, I'll agree with that.

However, you made this claim:
    If 40% of someone's calories happens to be from fat, it might not be a bad thing to lower it in that case.

You didn't say anything about adjusting macros. Simply the implication that there was something wrong with a 40% fat intake. So, assuming that there is no outlier like medical issue, or a caloric surplus. What specifically is wrong with 40% of daily intake coming from fats?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Assuming there are no medical issues (or a likely tendency to develop a medical condition that could be related to fat consumption), I don't think there is an issue with that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Roger that.

PS - I'm still dying from acute sodium bicarbonate exposure. :(
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Roger that.

PS - I'm still dying from acute sodium bicarbonate exposure. :(

Drink some vinegar. That always helps me.

Just stay away from that freaking dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff'll KILL YOU DEAD.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I fell into a pool of it once.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I fell into a pool of it once.
    I think it's even nastier in its solid chemical state.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Sodium Bicarbonate dissolved my kidney stone. Instead of listening to the doctor and taking pain meds and letting it pass on it's own, I found out on the internet that baking soda dissolves certain types of kidney stones. For me it worked, no more pain.

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda-for-kidney-stones
  • dbmata
    Options
    You kidney stones were obviously god's punishment and a lesson.

Now we have proof that sodium bicarbonate does the devil's work and undoes god's lessons!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You kidney stones were obviously god's punishment and a lesson.

Now we have proof that sodium bicarbonate does the devil's work and undoes god's lessons!
    No, sodium bicarbonate is not the villain! Kidney stones have to be the devil's work. lol