If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Well there goes my sanity status as I will try to watch it tonight if it is still available. Difficult to comment on something I haven't seen.

Not actually. If someone is espousing a position as an expert, but lacks expertise and credibility, you know it's a waste of time and will be a bull puckey tour du force.

Just like I don't go to politicians for my science knowledge.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    dbmata, how do you dismiss something as "bull pucky" without even seeing it? How do you dismiss people saying they lack expertise and credibility without knowing the calibre of the people involved or even who they are?

The trailer states, "Four years, 19 countries, and 24 experts in anthropology, medicine, ecology, and health ............"

Are they all idiots - I don't believe so. I still haven't seen it but I plan to keep an open mind until I do.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    dbmata, how do you dismiss something as "bull pucky" without even seeing it? How do you dismiss people saying they lack expertise and credibility without knowing the calibre of the people involved or even who they are?

The trailer states, "Four years, 19 countries, and 24 experts in anthropology, medicine, ecology, and health ............"

Are they all idiots - I don't believe so. I still haven't seen it but I plan to keep an open mind until I do.

I had a read of the type of people involved in well.org, and the producer's bio, and some of his claims, particularly on topics I know very well, and I knew it was a vanity project full of pseudoscience, peppered with just enough actual science to mislead the unwary.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Well there goes my sanity status as I will try to watch it tonight if it is still available. Difficult to comment on something I haven't seen.

Not actually. If someone is espousing a position as an expert, but lacks expertise and credibility, you know it's a waste of time and will be a bull puckey tour du force.

Just like I don't go to politicians for my science knowledge.

And this ^^^^

• LeenaGee
    Options
    Charlotte, I love all this "save the planet" stuff. Stop pollution, overuse of chemicals, toxins making us sick etc etc etc. Great believer in acupuncture, meditation, yoga, food is our medicine, back to nature - bit of a leftover from the hippy era really so I love reading Well org. and sites like that.
    We are all different, and I believe, entitled to our opinions and beliefs, it is what makes the world an interesting and better place.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Charlotte, I love all this "save the planet" stuff. Stop pollution, overuse of chemicals, toxins making us sick etc etc etc. Great believer in acupuncture, meditation, yoga, food is our medicine, back to nature - bit of a leftover from the hippy era really so I love reading Well org. and sites like that.
    We are all different, and I believe, entitled to our opinions and beliefs, it is what makes the world an interesting and better place.

So you've crossed the woo-becon. Nuff said.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options

That's fair enough Leena. You did say earlier that you don't care for the opinion of scientists or dietitians, which sounds to me like you are particularly anti-science, and not interested in a balanced view. You are suggesting that we keep open-minded when it seems that you are not prepared to do the same yourself.

That's how it seems to me anyway... :)
  • dodgethepodge
    dodgethepodge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's a mixture of reasons...
    1. Short term effects - sugar spike
    2. Taste Buds
    3. Media/Community/Acceptance

Of course the short term effect is a sugar spike and our bodies are designed to crave that when they think we are in need of it... especially when we haven't eaten enough and are in need of general energy boost - our bodies react thinking of the short term in this situation.

Taste buds... well, how many people don't like cake? Or some form of sweet?... then again aren't there some super sweet tasting berries out there... why aren't those as yummy to everyone?

The third option is what I conclude to as the reason for my personal craving of sugar. (note: This is my opinion and based on me, not science!) I recently wrote a post in my blog about this and how society thinks sweet is a good choice, which you are welcome to read. But in all, I was fed a hella lot of sweets when I was young. I was brought up with Cadbury's chocolate as a well done, feel better and a nice snack... thus (what I believe) creating my lifelong craving for sugar as a comfort food and go-to for emotional eating. Aside from that, after cutting out Cadbury's for a while, I recently tried some and discovered I don't actually like the taste! I do still like some chocolate so I can't say it's that. My only conclusion is that the comfort of the memories and conditioning of my brain made it nice!

Well... that's my take on it. It helped me to learn this about myself, maybe someone else has a similar experience or another person can read this and relate... xxx
  • dbmata
    Options

It's a project designed to mislead the easily lead.

Sorry.
  • dbmata
    Options

That's fair enough Leena. You did say earlier that you don't care for the opinion of scientists or dietitians, which sounds to me like you are particularly anti-science, and not interested in a balanced view. You are suggesting that we keep open-minded when it seems that you are not prepared to do the same yourself.

^^^^ and this.

My previous comment stands, stuff like this is for the people who have replaced knowledge with belief.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Instead of focusing on what you eat, focus on how much. I see from your profile you are recently married and have 92 pounds to lose. Is it fair to your family to choose to have a shorter life expectancy because of your weight? Of course not! If you won't count calories for yourself then do it for them.

Its okay if you consume some fast food and candy as long as you hit your calorie and macro targets.
  • LeenaGee
    edited November 2014
    Options

Did I really say that, oops can't remember but I will try to have a balanced view in the future. Pull me up if you think I am becoming narrow minded. I don't think I am anti-science as scientist have been responsible for too many amazing things in the past.

Thanks to those who are trying to bring the thread back to topic. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

1. I clearly gave up on this thread too soon. This is pure forum gold.

2. Are the remaining 18 pages yet unread filled with similar nuggets? If so...

I_Know_What_Were_Gonna_Do_Today.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in a process for removing paint and corrosion called sodablasting; the process is particularly suitable for cleaning aluminium panels which can be distorted by other types of abrasive. It can be administered to pools, spas, and garden ponds to raise pH levels.[11] It has weak disinfectant properties,[12][13] and it may be an effective fungicide against some organisms.[14] Because baking soda will absorb musty smells, it has become a reliable method for used-book sellers when making books less malodorous.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

1. I clearly gave up on this thread too soon. This is pure forum gold.

2. Are the remaining 18 pages yet unread filled with similar nuggets? If so...

I_Know_What_Were_Gonna_Do_Today.jpg

It did get a little boring for the last 8 or so pages but yes the section where we learned baking soda is toxic was classic...
  • jgennace
    jgennace Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Make healthier version of the junkie crap food you enjoy. Make a home made big mac with lean meat and whole grain bun for example.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jgennace wrote: »
    Make healthier version of the junkie crap food you enjoy. Make a home made big mac with lean meat and whole grain bun for example.

What do you have against beef fat and what makes a whole grain bun automatically healthier?

Also, what is your position on sodium bicarbonate?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Niemom wrote: »
    Hello Catsheep. I know of some all natural products that could help you with these cravings/habits. I went from eating ice cream nightly to eating it occasionally. That was a huge change for me. Shoot me an email and we can discuss it further. [snipped]
    Looking forward to sharing some amazing products with you.

Thanks,
    Hoppe

Flagged for spam.

If you're going to quote a spammer, at least edit out their contact information. Even though the spam post has been nuked, their sales pitch lives on in your post.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you make a burger with lean beef, you're still getting some fat, plus you're most likely going to add more fat when you cook it. Also, whole grain bread (especially if it's made from sprouted flour or sourdough) has more micro nutrients.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I just want everyone to know.

I ate some sodium bicarbonate. I just received my last rites.

Will I get better?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    If you make a burger with lean beef, you're still getting some fat, plus you're most likely going to add more fat when you cook it. Also, whole grain bread (especially if it's made from sprouted flour or sourdough) has more micro nutrients.

So lean beef is healthier because it has some fat and I'll probably add more fat when I cook it? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Which micro nutrients am I getting from whole grain bread (or sourdough) that I'm not getting from...less-than-whole grain bread? Are these micro nutrients in which I am deficient? (If not, do I get extra healthy credit for exceeding a certain amount of micro nutrients beyond what is necessary for optimal health?)