Which is better?

Options
Hi !!!! I have been lurking on this site for a while, and I have a question about the daily caloric intake. I have been home since early October with a torn Hamstring muscle, so I am bit limited in what I can do. A friend of mine told me that I should set my Diet profile to "Maintain" my current weight, and eat approx 100 calories less each day, and I would lose. I did the math, and my intake would be 1950 cal a day..... But, if I set my profile to lose 1 lb per week, my calories drop down to 1450.. My profile also has me set to "Sedentary" as I'm not moving too fast... I'm looking for advice from those who have been around for awhile. Thanks Kat :)

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Put your stats into that, and then eat 10% - 20% less calories than your TDEE depending on how much you're trying to lose. If you're eating your maintenance calories, then you won't really be losing, or gaining. You'll just maintain hence why they're called "maintenance." Eating 100 calories less than maintenance will cause you to lose weight, but it might be too slow to be encouraging.
  • mawkishstoic
    mawkishstoic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I believe the rough math is a 500 calorie/day deficit will result in roughly 1lb a week of weight loss over time. So a 100 calorie/day deficit might result in a 1lb loss every 5 weeks, approximately. It's all up to you, where you want to go, and how you want to get there.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I eat 1470 a day to lose 0.5lb a week (I'm a shorty.) It can be pretty filling as long as you eat healthy stuff. Lean protein, veggies, wholegrains fruits and so forth. You can eat a good amount of those things for that amount of calories.

Perhaps, you should set it at 0.5lb p/week loss. That way you would get about 1800 calories a day. It would be a little faster loss than 100 cal deficit a day at least.

Although if you don't move much, I doubt you would feel hungry on 1450. But you kind of have to experiment for yourself and decide what's more comfortable.

Good Luck. :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi !!!! I have been lurking on this site for a while, and I have a question about the daily caloric intake. I have been home since early October with a torn Hamstring muscle, so I am bit limited in what I can do. A friend of mine told me that I should set my Diet profile to "Maintain" my current weight, and eat approx 100 calories less each day, and I would lose. I did the math, and my intake would be 1950 cal a day..... But, if I set my profile to lose 1 lb per week, my calories drop down to 1450.. My profile also has me set to "Sedentary" as I'm not moving too fast... I'm looking for advice from those who have been around for awhile. Thanks Kat :)

You would lose eating 100 calories less than your maintenance...it would be really slow though.

It's just math...to lose 1 Lb requires a deficit from maintenance of 3,500 calories...that equates to 500 calories per day...so if you get 1450 to lose 1 Lb per week, that means your maintenance would be that 1950...which sounds about right.

• Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ok, I understand that. Should I leave my profile at Sedentary, or lightly active? I mean, I can get around and all, I just can't do anything that would over exert my leg for a while
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    It depends how much you move.

This probably isn't accurate, but I've read that 5000+ steps a day is lightly and less than that is sedentary. Again you have to experiment and see if you lose. So try out both for a week, and see how much you lose on each one.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    After reading this I have a question. I have mine set for weight loss at 2lbs per week it estimates I will lose less than 1lb per week so i'm not sure to have it work out. However my recommended calorie intake is 1200/day which seems low. I am short 5'0 but still seems a bit low to me. I am sedentary mostly - desk job and travel. I have a set a goal of 4 work outs per week. Is 1200 too low?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    After reading this I have a question. I have mine set for weight loss at 2lbs per week it estimates I will lose less than 1lb per week so i'm not sure to have it work out. However my recommended calorie intake is 1200/day which seems low. I am short 5'0 but still seems a bit low to me. I am sedentary mostly - desk job and travel. I have a set a goal of 4 work outs per week. Is 1200 too low?

2 Lbs per week is an aggressive goal. Most females will default to 1200 calories per day for 2 Lbs per week...it is telling you that you'll lose a bit less than that though because 1200 is as low as MFP will go. You are also short...so unfortunately, you need less energy (calories) than someone taller.

You also need to understand how this tool works and the method it uses...i.e. you're supposed to eat back exercise calories when you work out. Your workout goals you set are just for you...they have no bearing on how many calories MFP gives you. I would implore you to play with the tool a bit to see what I mean.

Your calorie goal is only based on the activity level you tell MFP and your rate of loss goal. If you want to eat more then move more.

I would also want to know how much you actually have to lose...the less you have to lose, the less aggressive your goal should be...this is because the less you have to lose, the less energy (calories) your body requires also...your calorie requisites shrink as you get smaller. You also have to remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks again... Kat :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    While you'll lose with a 100 calorie per day deficit, it's very small, and very easy to blow with logging errors and estimations. If I were in your position, I'd probably set my goal to around 1700, somewhere in the middle of the two.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have around 30 pounds to lose. I am at 149 pounds right now and would like to get in the range of 120-125 which would be comfortable for my body I think. I went from 3-4 workouts a week to none with an 8 hour a day mostly desk job and 3-4 times per week 4 hours of driving, so I am back to the gym as of last week as my body was feeling terrible.