Dealing with fatigue

Options
13»

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Quality of sleep is pretty good I think. I go to bed around 10-10:30 and I'm up at 6:45. I can usually fall asleep pretty quickly, too.

And no, I'm not hungry, which is why I previously said I can't eat any more than I do. If I ate more, I would be full all the time!

I'll try just adding some peanut butter to my morning apple and having a little avocado or nuts with my lunch. I already drink plenty of water... I try to drink close to 3L a day.
    What I was really looking for if there's something in particular you guys have to eat before you workout that gives you an extra boost, or if there's a certain stretching routine you do in the morning that you find energizing. I workout after work, around 4:30, and usually have a handful of almonds (15-20) and a cup of tea about an hour before. But stilllll find myself dragging/napping.

I think thats a perfect idea. I workout before work at 4:30 in the morning. It helps me sleep better at night.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Quality of sleep is pretty good I think. I go to bed around 10-10:30 and I'm up at 6:45. I can usually fall asleep pretty quickly, too.

And no, I'm not hungry, which is why I previously said I can't eat any more than I do. If I ate more, I would be full all the time!

I'll try just adding some peanut butter to my morning apple and having a little avocado or nuts with my lunch. I already drink plenty of water... I try to drink close to 3L a day.

What I was really looking for if there's something in particular you guys have to eat before you workout that gives you an extra boost, or if there's a certain stretching routine you do in the morning that you find energizing. I workout after work, around 4:30, and usually have a handful of almonds (15-20) and a cup of tea about an hour before. But stilllll find myself dragging/napping.

switching calorie sparse foods for some calorie dense foods can help with calorie intake without dramatically increasing volume of food eaten.

To your question about a boost before a workout... caffeine, caffeine, and more caffeine.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

switching calorie sparse foods for some calorie dense foods can help with calorie intake without dramatically increasing volume of food eaten.

To your question about a boost before a workout... caffeine, caffeine, and more caffeine.

oh yes...i forgot about caffeine. smart man right there!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    skullshank wrote: »
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    non-junky calories.

what are those?

Oats, dairy, eggs, fruits, veggies, red meats, poultry, seafood, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, protein shakes, etc. We mostly eat/cook in so we increase his servings to get him to his necessary caloric intake to maintain. Restaurants add too much sodium.

a sensible list! how refreshing.
    i was afraid you were going to say cauliflower cookies and kale. ;)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Yeah, caffeine works but it causes my heart to race sometimes during workouts. I use a pre-workout that has low dose caffeine with a lot of B-12 and creatine. Too much caffeine gives me the jitters.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Open to hearing any suggestions. I'm at my wit's end.

Eat more. You're underfuelled.

It really is that simple

Yeah, OP doesn't want to hear that, but that's the case.

which makes me sad. because i actually have been there. but i listened to other people...still have managed to lose 87 pounds and well i have more energy than ever. At least I have never had to post the help I am eating 1200 calorie diet and so hungry all the time....because I think that post will be in 2 weeks.

I was having a particularly stressful few weeks before I went back to college.... was lifting hard and maybe eating 800 calories or less? Lasted three days until I had amazing cramps all over my body.

and let me guess...you decided to eat more and felt a bit better after a few days?

Yup, right as rain.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Yeah, caffeine works but it causes my heart to race sometimes during workouts. I use a pre-workout that has low dose caffeine with a lot of B-12 and creatine. Too much caffeine gives me the jitters.

Me too! I get shaky hands and heart palpitations if I have more than one cup of coffee a day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I fixed that, just started taking caffeine pills.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion with bloodwork - get it checked again. And, eat more.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I take an herbal supplement called Astragalus (it's a plant from the pea plant family, not something weird or freaky) and I take one gel twice a day and it helps a whole lot with feeling awake and with it rather than cold and tired. I do take thyroid meds but even so I get pretty sluggish, so I turned to supplements for a boost. Liquid B vitamins can help also.