Short People Unite!

Options
Heya people, I'm a 5'0 woman looking for other shorties to encourage/get encouraged by, complain and spread sympathy, and understand how hard it is for short people! When some people gain a pound, eh, you can't see it. When SHORT people gain a pound, it's obvious! It sucks! Anyone can add me as a friend, male or female, maintain gain or loose, lets do this thing!

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What I hate is chicks who are 5'10" and who exercise 20 hours a day telling me that I will starve to death if I only eat 1,200 calories per day. No. I. Won't. If I ate 1,600 calories a day, I wouldn't gain weight, but I wouldn't lose a single ounce, either. Short girls who homeschool their children and who have to fit their exercise into 45 minutes a day have low TDEEs. Really.

That being said, I'm 5'2", so I know of what you speak. :D
  • lovinglean
    lovinglean Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hey all I can relate as well , 5'0" and old as the hills lol 62 yrs.
  • lovinglean
    lovinglean Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and I got 45 to lose.
  • draco25000
    draco25000 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    heyy short people unite, I'm 157cm so... I feel the pain
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a shortie and I love it! I don't know why, but I've always really loved being small. Well, now I'm not so small, LOL...but you know what I mean...In school when we had to line up for different things (for example, the class picture) I was always the last kid in line because they went from tall in the back, to short in the front for the full-class picture. That sort of thing. I never minded.

I am no longer the shortest adult I know - I am 5'1". My best friend is actually shorter than I am, barely five feet! It's weird to look "down" into somebody's eyes so I don't wear heels around her, LOL!

Anyway...just another shortie checking in. (waving) Hi. :)

ETA: Oh oops...47 years old, 75 pounds to lose.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    4'9 (145cm) here, I think that actually makes me a midget LOL

I'm maintaining now, and don't know too many people actually shorter than me other than my children lol Although the boy will not be too far away from over-taking me... and he's 7.... :wink:
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yup! 5' 0" woman here! *waves*

I've about 17 lb left to lose! :)
  • Forest91
    Forest91 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11"
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey 5'3 here :) anyone said fun sized yet ?!

PokeyBug I hear you on the low TDEE, at 1660 mines close to yours!!! That's with an hours dog walking thrown in!
  • Goalinsight
    Goalinsight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    5'0 here too. Sending you a friend request and happy to link up with any other 'shorties' who want to add me. :)
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am short, but not little. I've always been muscular, always been 5 ft,1 1/2 inches. Till I "grew" a half inch after double hip replacements surgery. Now I'm 5'2" Woo hoo!

Plus, I am definitely fun size!
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Im 4"11 i have 50 pounds to lose!
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    5'2" here...with 30lbs more to lose. It may be more after that, but its been so long since I was 155 I wanna see how I feel. I am large frame, so at 180lbs I will hit the "overweight" category. WOOHOO! Oh..and I am 38.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking I was 5'3" but when I actually measured it was 5'2" - doesn't sound like much but it meant I had to lower my BMI goal another 5 lbs.
    I started MFP at 60yo/178 lbs. and now 1 year later I am at 144 lbs. - still have some more to go.
    It's not a cliche - good things do come in small packages!!
  • dw7711
    dw7711 Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5'0" here. Sure would be nice if the "standard" 2,000 calories a day wasn't enough to make people my size gain, heh. I've been doing 1,200 a day and actually having a hard time meeting that most days. It makes me nervous when I read stuff claiming eating that much isn't too far off from starvation until I remember that those articles don't apply to me. :P
  • MaddyFerg44
    Options
    Yup - 5'1" here myself and and am looking to drop 20-25 lbs that I've picked up over the last few years. New here and glad to friend any fellow shorties so feel free to send me a friend request and I'll do the same. Looking forward to swapping success stories with everyone!

And yes, Dancer - good things do come in small packages!

• EK00001
    Options
    I'm 5 '6 male and height has never concerned me at all.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    What I hate is chicks who are 5'10" and who exercise 20 hours a day telling me that I will starve to death if I only eat 1,200 calories per day. No. I. Won't. :D

Glad to see some folks speaking out against the (ahem) sometimes-all-too-prevalent notion on forums that somehow 1200 calories a day is a starvation diet. I'm sure it CAN be, but from what I've seen, it's mostly big bulky guys or super-active women (who I'd bet are tall gals with long marathon legs) who post comments insisting that folks eating 1200 are self-flagellating spaghetti sticks in waiting.

I've been eating 1200, losing steadily so far (knock on wood) at a perfectly reasonable rate (about a pound a week), and actually not starving at all. But then again, I'm 5 ft 2. Well, 5 ft 1.75 inches :smile: So I really do wish that people wouldn't make assumptions about what other people "should" and "shouldn't" do -- whether it's 1200 calories (or not), limiting carbs (or not), or whatever. Everyone's got a different body, different lifestyle, and in many cases, a different culture that has an impact on the choices that do or don't work for us. (End rant.)

Incidentally, where I live (Nepal), I'm actually rather tall for a woman! It's funny, and a little odd, since I don't think I'll ever quite get used to looking over other women's heads. But I've found that I shrink and grow based on which country I'm in. People are surprised to hear that I'm considered short in the US. I feel sorry for the poor tall Westerners here, who are eternally banging their heads on doorways LOL.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out what my calorie needs are yet and i am so glad to see the numbers you are all putting out there. I was guessing it would be somewhere around 1200 but then i was also thinking i was shooting too low. I am 5'3 and i can't copy the eating habits of anyone i know. My boyfriend is 5'1 and he can eat anything he wants and as much of it as he wants, for now. My best friend is almost 6' tall so i definitely can't eat the same as her. Then there are my beautiful amazon children. Somehow they got the best possible genetics they could from me and are incredibly tall.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    hello from UK 5'1/2" here last few lbs hardest to lose