I NEED to start working out in the AM before work. Help!

Options
I really need to start working out before work. I have full access to a gym as well as spin classes in the AM twice a week. I don't need to be in to work until about 8:45. I have NO excuse not to just DO IT. But instead I'll set the alarm, get up, and then immediately think OH HELL NO and sleep for another hour!

I know once I am in the habit it will be so much easier, but I just can't seem to get there yet. Anyone have success going from so-not-a-morning person to hopping out of bed and hitting the pavement???? Tips? Tricks?

I'm trying to ween myself off caffeine, which doesn't help :/

Thanks!

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There's no way other than just doing it. Your body will adjust over time but it can't adjust if you never get started...
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Need to get to bed early enough to get the sleep you need, and then just push yourself out of bed in the morning. Slowly moving your wakeup time earlier may help, too. Set it 10 minutes earlier, for a month, then move it forward another 10, and another 10, etc, until you can get up in time to get the workout you want. You will adjust eventually. My training routine includes at least 6 hours of cardio 6 days a week, and I've slowly adjusted to getting up at 4am, sometime without an alarm, after my requisite 6.5 hours of sleep. I used to need 8 to 9 hours of sleep, but losing weight and getting in shape allow me to sleep deeper and get the rest I need in a shorter time.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's hard to get up early if you don't want to.

I've been posting this everywhere, so here goes.

1. 50% of those who start a workout program, quit. The odds are against you, especially if you don't have a history of being active.

2. Noone can motivate someone else. If you want to get up and go, you will. The suggestions you will get, you already know.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There are morning people----who are fresher in the morning and able to get more done. And there are later in the day-night people who function better at those hours. I'm a morning person and married the opposite. He has overcome his adversion to early mornings by going to bed earlier, and just really trying. We both go to the pool at 8:15 now--but he's up at 7:00 for breakfast, and I'm up at my usual 6:00. It is not easy to change your orientation---you have to want to. Meeting a friend to exercise together at the early hour may haul you out of bed. Try it. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's not easy to change that habit, as snowflake954 said. You have to make yourself go to bed earlier, which is hard if you're an owl. Avoid caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime, keep your bedroom uncluttered and comfortable, and don't read or use a device in bed. When the alarm goes off, get up, and stay up. If at all possible, don't sleep in on weekends, because that will destroy your hard work over the course of the week.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a Pre-sleep routine?

No caffeine after 3:00, and after dinner, turn the lights down, no loud music or TV, and reduced activity. Dim your computer screen or iPad, too. Try to wind down, and calm down. Maybe relaxing music, or reading (evening reading for me is super boring and puts me right out).
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies and messages! all great advice. I know its something that I just need to DO and once I'm in the habit it will get easier but it will be a big shift from night owl behaviors!

uncluttering my bedroom is a really great idea- I always feel more relaxed when it is clean.

I'm going to start slow with 9:30AM yoga tomorrow (not really early :P ) and then try and go one whole entire work week, M-F with SOME gym time in the morning, even if its just a ten minute run. Anyone who wants to join me in this endeavor shoot me a message!!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You can also go to the gym in the evenings
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You can also go to the gym in the evenings

haha true! but the issue for me is by the time I get home after a long day I often lack the energy/ motivation for it, and I am more likely to go if I get into the habit of going in the morning. Also, my ultimate goal is working out in the morning and yoga after work. That has been my regime in the past and it felt great in terms of energy and weight loss. Trying to get back to that now.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Oh cool. When I used to work out, I would take a nap after work then go to the gym
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself do it. You remind yourself when that alarm gies off that you want this! And it wirks for me. I don't do my 4 ams every single day but I aim for every single day. :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I also pre prep what im going to wear socks shies etc in one spot. And that cuts down my get out of house time too.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think its a about routine. You need to try and break out of the routine of getting up late and get into the routine of getting up early. I would plan your week and put it down on paper. I understand your troubles because I sometimes have them too but I know as soon as I change my routine getting up just happens - the more I do it the easier it is as well. I think the people who say you just have to bite the bullet and do it are right.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I also pre prep what im going to wear socks shies etc in one spot. And that cuts down my get out of house time too.

I'll go with this as well get your kit ready the night before so you don't waste time blethering around half asleep looking for your socks. My stuff is all over the lounge floor in dressing order so I can do it half asleep :-)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Heck no, I can't do anything in the morning. Sorry can't offer you anything, I will only work out in the afternoon and early evening. Mornings are a no go, absolutely not.
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been focusing on getting to bed earlier. I guess it only makes sense that I should start waking up earlier too. I'm going to shoot for 8:30 AM workouts this week. Historically, mornings haven't been a good time for me to workout. I end up feeling pretty sick for the next few hours. I'll give it another try though.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I used to hit my snooze button multiple times every morning. I gave that up, which wasn't easy, but giving up snoozing has helped me get up for morning workouts when needed. Than being said, I still hate morning workouts, but if I know I can't get it done after work, I will go in the morning.
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I work out early. I love it, but the only way I can do it is to go to bed super early (if I'm not sleeping enough, I make bad food decisions) and have all the next days meals planned so there is no messing around in the morning. If I wait until after work, I can always find excuses not to workout.
  • melsal9902
    melsal9902 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find your own motivation as these are all good suggestions. I have to get up early to let the dogs out so I allow myself some time to sit for a moment and DRINK WATER. Usually the dehydration is the reason I don't want to get started. That usually wakes me up enough to get going. I work out in my home which makes it a little easier as I don't have to drive anywhere. Good Luck