I NEED to start working out in the AM before work. Help!

Options

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Set the alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn it off.

I still go back to sleep hahaha
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    you just gotta do it. after a few days or a week, it'll get easier. and why in the world would you want to give up coffee?
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    I'm a big offender of this as well! I always end up doing evening workouts!

Im the same way..ive tried and tried and i cant do it..so afternoons it is...

however considering my day starts at 6:00 am...8:45 is late and mornings wouldnt be an issue then.

You are very different then! I could get up at 7.00 and do a 30 minute workout as I don't leave the house until 8.30 I just like my sleep :D
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »
    1. do you have a window facing east? ditch curtains.
    2. set the alarm and place it across the room
    3. if possible, wear some/all workout clothes to bed & prep everything beforehand so you can just stagger out the door within a few minutes
    4. see if anyone at the gym has the schedule you want and be workout partners?
    5. no tv/caffeine the night before

This is what I do #2 is very important.

• notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »
    1. do you have a window facing east? ditch curtains.
    2. set the alarm and place it across the room
    3. if possible, wear some/all workout clothes to bed & prep everything beforehand so you can just stagger out the door within a few minutes
    4. see if anyone at the gym has the schedule you want and be workout partners?
    5. no tv/caffeine the night before

This is what I do #2 is very important.

I think yours and everyone's suggestion is great (alarm clock across the room) I know this is a good idea so might try it next week. Once I am out of bed it is ok!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    you have to want it bad enough...and honestly its well worth the effort. You can retrain your body to love the mornings and if you persist with morning workouts in a matter of weeks you will no longer think of it as a chore. I've been getting up early for 2 yrs to get my workout done and its the best way to start the day :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Have your clothes all laid out the night before. I did that for several months early this year was great. Then the kids got out for summer break and I have had a hard time starting it again. I loved it when I was doing it seemed to make me feel energized for the day and was awesome starting out the day with a huge calorie deficit. Some times at lunch I would just be starting to go over the burned calories. Good Luck
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    you know what an amazing gift you can give yourself?

the morning.

The morning can be magical because so many people opt out of it in order to keep their eyes closed for another hour and then scramble off to work to start their day.

Imagine starting your day in a peaceful quiet house, where you can sit and sip coffee and read a little and have a nice little workout and a non-rushed breakfast. Imagine showing up to work already awake and mentally ready for the day that you started hours ago. It makes your job just something you do for awhile in the middle of the day.

And if you had that quiet 'me' time in the morning, and then you get to come home after work and have more time to get other stuff done. And your whole mood is evened out and you feel so productive and kickass before most of the world even rolls over and hits snooze.

That's a win you can carry with you all day.

It takes a little time to make it a habit, but once you sink your teeth in, you won't wanna part with your new mornings. :D

this gets a hell yeah! it's all true and wonderful and exactly why i love mornings and running in the morning :smile:
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have a song that makes me happy, as an alarm.

At the moment, it's Circle Of Life, from The Lion King!

Waking up with "Aaaaaaazebenejaaaaamanimissinamaaaaa" is awesome!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »

that is awesome lol...time it with sunrise and wooo..lets go run a marathon!

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I read this idea recently and I think it's a good one. I have used it myself on occasion.

Don't worry about working out, just make your goal getting to the gym. Sometimes, it's not so much the idea of early rising that makes me lazy, it's the idea of a work out. So I just tell myself to go to the gym. If I don't want to work out once I get there, I don't have too - I can go home. But, once I'm there, I stay. Goal accomplished.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Squirrelzzrule, is your alarm clock close to your bed? On a night table, maybe? THAT is the first thing you need to change. Move your alarm clock across the room. Force yourself to get out of bed just to turn it off. (Put it in the bathroom if it's loud enough!) Once you are actually out of bed and your body is moving, it's a lot easier to get it in gear and get going. I have heard it takes approximately 13 weeks to establish a habit. That's pretty close to the truth. I know after a couple or three months, for me, I started waking ten, fifteen minutes before the alarm went off. What did I do? I just got up! So I set the alarm for the earlier time. Pretty soon, I'm waking up before THAT time set. I Now get up around 4:15, get to my gym. I'm fortunate to have an almost complete gym at home so I don't even have to leave the house!.

I also have an alarm on my cell phone, set for fifteen minutes after the alarm clock, just in case the walking across the bedroom thing doesn't work. =)

Good luck!
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    you know what an amazing gift you can give yourself?

the morning.

The morning can be magical because so many people opt out of it in order to keep their eyes closed for another hour and then scramble off to work to start their day.

Imagine starting your day in a peaceful quiet house, where you can sit and sip coffee and read a little and have a nice little workout and a non-rushed breakfast. Imagine showing up to work already awake and mentally ready for the day that you started hours ago. It makes your job just something you do for awhile in the middle of the day.

And if you had that quiet 'me' time in the morning, and then you get to come home after work and have more time to get other stuff done. And your whole mood is evened out and you feel so productive and kickass before most of the world even rolls over and hits snooze.

That's a win you can carry with you all day.

It takes a little time to make it a habit, but once you sink your teeth in, you won't wanna part with your new mornings. :D

this gets a hell yeah! it's all true and wonderful and exactly why i love mornings and running in the morning :smile:

I think I need to print this out and stick it next to my bed!
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »

i need this!
  • lizabethtru
    lizabethtru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have my clothes and shoes ready. I get up at 4:40 every morning. So I can get in an hour at the gym before I have to get back home and get my kids up and ready for school and go to work. Luckily my son is 16 so I can go in the mornings.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to get into the habit of waking up at 4am to drive an hour to the gym so I could work out and then go to work. I also work a different job in the evenings so its hard to get enough sleep! Make sure that you get a sleep routine together before you try to go hard at the gym in the mornings.
    When my alarm goes off - I ask myself, is sleeping that extra hour REALLY going to make me any less tired at the end of the day? Then I remind myself, that if I work out now, I 1. dont have to do it later and 2. will eat better because my workout is done and I dont have the chance to make it up to myself later. Finally, I remind myself that the extra hour of sleep throws off my whole routine and could ruin the rest of my week (not really, but that is what I tell myself) and I roll my *kitten* out of bed!
    - Be consistent :)
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly, but there are alarm apps that force you to get up and go into another room before they turn off (like you must scan xyz item in the kitchen, etc) - maybe try one of those so you're up and around and awake?
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    You are all making me feel very lazy.
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    You are all making me feel very lazy.
    justcat206 wrote: »
    This might sound silly, but there are alarm apps that force you to get up and go into another room before they turn off (like you must scan xyz item in the kitchen, etc) - maybe try one of those so you're up and around and awake?

Thanks so much! Just found them http://lifehacker.com/5979811/the-most-sadistic-apps-that-force-you-to-get-stuff-done
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I started by getting a mini stepper machine for $50 at Walmart and doing 200 steps in the morning while watching TV. It takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes, doesn't require getting dressed and going to the gym, and helps build a good morning workout habit. As previous poster already mentioned, there are even short aerobic workouts on youtube. Just start somewhere small.