How do you deal with negativity from family?

Options
2»

Replies

• ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    In other words, there is no reason to accept disparaging remarks from anyone, particularly family. Family and blood stick together as a battle unit against all others. When that unit breaks down, the leader must correct it.

There's no two ways about it.

Family and blood aren't always the same thing. I haven't spoken to some blood relatives in years because they are toxic. Family consists of the people that accept you for you and support you. My best friend of 15 years...she's family. My biological grandparents on my father's side? They aren't even a part of my life.

Find people that support you, and realize those are your family. They're the ones who care and aren't toxic.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Indeed. There's a reason I mentioned family and blood as separate things.

The K still remains. You control that stuff to make sure nothing goes off the rails, and you correct them when it does.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    your family being dysfunctional is not besides the point. it is the point.

the best thing you can do for yourself is distance yourself from toxic dysfunctional people. i speak from experience.

it will be strange and hard and it will seem like things are getting worse instead of better b/c your dysfunctional family will not understand. but you have to trust yourself and know better that distance from them is better. the only way to heal yourself. its good for them to.