New here and letting this diet destroy me

Options
13»

Replies

• seththealmighty
    seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks chief. Just usually 1-1.5hours of cardio per day. Going by the HRM it says around mid 700s for 1 hour on the elliptical. Now I switched to doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid workout. It's really showing me how out of shape I am, but once I get back in shape, I may get back to doing long cardio also (one in the morning, one in the evening).

I'm no longer having problems with the calories and getting them in. Something in my body clicked and it started begging for them. Bought some oats so I can make a fruit oatmeal snack throughout the day when I need an extra 400-500 calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Set for too aggressive of a weekly goal based on your desired total loss ... eating too little after setting too aggressive of a goal (MFP is only a calculator, and only as good or foolish as the inputs) ... your estimated burns are wrong ...

and those are just the very simple to note glaring issues.
  • seththealmighty
    Options
    Well whatever the case may be, the weight is appearing lower. I'm a happy man, and I'm feeling good. No headaches yet, my knees are feeling stronger, and I've got more energy.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I personally don't usually eat back my exercise calories because I like to have one day a week I like to eat at maintenance calories. I average about 1400 calories a day and lose a little over a pound a week. I'm 28 with 14 lbs left to my goal of 125. I'm sure people would think I undereat just like you but I don't care, I do what works for me. I work out 5 days a week but I don't really consider myself having an active lifestyle outside of that. Have you tried protein shakes as a meal or to up your calories?

BTW: I'm a Marylander too. I'm a transplant though closer to the DE border. I'll always be a Jersey girl at heart.
  • seththealmighty
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sweet! If you are into snowboarding, feel free to add me. I hope I can make snowboarding a social group thing this year. Usually its just me and a couple of close friends.

and Yay! You're my MFP altersex twinsie. lol 28, MD resident, parents, sedentary lifestyle, and no *kitten* given about naysayers. :lol: Yea, my plan is working out great so far. Depending on my weight fluctuations, I could be at 3lbs less than my original weigh in last weekend. If it fluctuates up, I'll still be at a 2lb weight loss. Win-win

I'm not a fan of supplements, as I'd rather get my nutrients from healthy foods, but I do use 1 scoop of protein after my workout. Usually wake up, drink a cup of coffee, workout, and then fix myself a nutrient heavy breakfast like old fashioned oatmeal using banana and soy milk, and drink a vanilla protein shake (water) with it.

I have no problem reaching my calories anymore. It was just the first couple of days on my diet that were killing me since I was going from one 500 calorie meal a day to eating a full schedule of 3-4 times the calories. My body got used to it quickly though.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry to highjack the thread, neighbors, but have you guys been to either Liberty or Whitetail? We usually go to Snowshoe but this year we want to try something closer. My son (aged 10) wants to try snowboarding for the first time. Thx for your recommendations. :)
  • seththealmighty
    Options
    I have only lived here for about a year now, so I havn't had a chance to check out the local resorts, but I'll be checking out each one within 1.5 hrs from here come snow season, so I know where to get my season pass. There is one that does military and student discounts that I always get recommended to, but I forget which one.

I usually do Snowshoe, and some resorts up further in PA as well; but only hit those once or twice a month. I need a daily slope as well that I can hit up 3-4x a week. I'll be teaching my 3yr old daughter how to snowboard this winter. Your 10yr old should find it a breeze.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Only 5 days into my new diet and I've already lost 2lbs. I was set to only lose 2lbs/week, but may look like I might reach 2.5lbs per week. #ecstatic

edit: Looks like I'm doing something right. (although, I'm hoping its not just a weight fluctuation. Guess I'll see after the end of the 2nd week)

Ok I think you need to learn about weight loss - we all do when we are new

1) as a 28 year old male your target net calories is far too low - unless you are severely obese

2) forget macros to begin with and get your calories right -you didn't gain weight by not being able to eat enough - add oils, heavy cream, but butters, nuts, chocolate, ice cream, full fat yogurt -anything that is calorie dense to your diet

3) do not believe MFP/gym machine calorie burn estimates - aim for 50 - 75% of them - they overestimate

4) weight loss is not linear - whooshes, fits, starts, gains, losses even when you stick to it religiously

5) take photos and measurements

6) it doesn't matter when you eat and if you want 1 meal a day do it

7) raise your calorie goal - seriously

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio and not enough heavy weights
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Katie, not sure how overestimating is really brought up. If anything, I'm betting underestimating

somuchbetter: hello neighbor! lol Yes, I filled out strength training, but it gave me no calories burned, however the cardio did. edit: hell, i could net that in 1 meal with some spicy pork and rice. lol

Hi...This seems a little silly, but I find if I want calorie credit for weight lifting on MFP, I have to enter it into the Cardiovascular section (there are categories for strenghth training, bodyweight training, and calisthenics). The part where you enter your sets, reps, and weight used for different lifts is just for you to keep track of your workouts. You may find that the calories earned for weight training seem a little low for how much effort it is, but really the benefits of weight training are realized more long-term (i.e. more muscle mass results in higher bmr).

Hope this helps. Good luck :)
  • seththealmighty
    Options
    Someone mentioned measurements.
    I'm 1/2 to 1'' skinnier everywhere except arms and legs. Arms gained 1/2'' and legs gained even more. 1 week weigh in puts me 2.2lbs less than original weigh in. Same weigh in time of the day; right after a work out, with 1 bottle of water put in me during the workout.

Thanks for all the super friendly and positive motivation guys ;)