Article on clean eating

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Most of the people who bash "clean" eating know what people mean by "clean" and by "processing" but since the bashers chose not to follow the "clean" eating style, they make fun of it and intentionally misconstrue it and distort it.

Wrong. I point out that they don't typically eat less "processed" foods than most people here who care about health, so I ask why they are trying to claim some special high ground and what's wrong with the processed foods that I eat.

I'd be embarrassed to claim to eat clean, because there are processed foods I would never cut out and think add to my health (and others that I simply like, which are no more "processed" than my yogurt, for the most part). For example, I don't think that coffee or whole wheat flour is a terrible thing to eat. It's possible that the average person who claims to eat clean is more consistent than I think, in which case I'd love to know what's wrong with drinking coffee in moderation or eating yogurt. Or, as I suspect, said person is being a hypocrite and is no "cleaner" than I am.

And, sure, I'd be interested in a discussion of why I should switch 100% to organic if people really do think that's important. (Same with why I should eat ONLY seasonally, even if that means I'm basically eating meat and potatoes with perhaps some apples all winter.) That would be a more interesting conversation than the vague ones about eating "clean" that start with the premise that only those who use that term care about health.

Edited because it was b*tchier than I really need to be. I'm more interested in conversation than an argument.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Clean eating is usually just an excuse for people to consume as many calories as they did before but in a more 'healthy' way.

Then they scratch their heads and wonder why they continue to pile on the pounds.

It's a meaningless sound bite.

yep.....all people trying to eat "clean" (whatever it means to them) are all just looking for an excuse to keep eating the same amounts...they ALL do this...every single one of them

Not all of them, but a fair amount.

Now a question for you - will eating clean, which we'll assume for the sake of argument is mainly eating non-processed foods - make the slightest difference to fat loss if the same excessive calorie content is consumed?

Yes or no?

Nope. But that's not why all people eat clean. Most eat clean for their HEALTH.

Please explain two things:

1) What eating clean is? Specifically.
    2) Why whatever definition you use will improve health?

Because the reality is that eating sensibly and in moderation will do the same.

It's a pretty simple concept. People like you, who think there's one way and one way only to eat, like to make it more complicated then it really is. "Raw" foods aka unprocessed or minimally processed, refined, and handled- closest to their natural form.

define "minimally processed" ..if I kill a deer, skin it, gut it, and then cut it out into steaks, burgers, sausage, etc; is that minimally processed, or maximal processed?????

you want to nit pik? how do you cut a deer into sausage? is there a sausage section on the deer you kill? what do you mean by "maximal" processed? why invent arguments?

Do you seriously not know how one would make venison sausage?

for realz…venison sausage is the bomb!!!
  • ndj1979
    Clean eating is usually just an excuse for people to consume as many calories as they did before but in a more 'healthy' way.

Then they scratch their heads and wonder why they continue to pile on the pounds.

yep.....all people trying to eat "clean" (whatever it means to them) are all just looking for an excuse to keep eating the same amounts...they ALL do this...every single one of them

Now a question for you - will eating clean, which we'll assume for the sake of argument is mainly eating non-processed foods - make the slightest difference to fat loss if the same excessive calorie content is consumed?

Yes or no?

It's a pretty simple concept. People like you, who think there's one way and one way only to eat, like to make it more complicated then it really is. "Raw" foods aka unprocessed or minimally processed, refined, and handled- closest to their natural form.

define "minimally processed" ..if I kill a deer, skin it, gut it, and then cut it out into steaks, burgers, sausage, etc; is that minimally processed, or maximal processed?????

you want to nit pik? how do you cut a deer into sausage? is there a sausage section on the deer you kill? what do you mean by "maximal" processed? why invent arguments?

I don't care about clean eating or processed food, so I have no definition for "maximally processed" I will leave that to the clean eating zealots...
  • ndj1979
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    There is no one "diet" or eating plan that works for everyone. If you have something that works for you, great! Keep at it.

I have stated my thoughts on the subject. I have the support of my Physician and CNP.

Have a great day :)

calorie deficit works for everyone, period.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    This argument comes up every single week. Aren't you people tired of debating over it yet?
  • ndj1979
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    This argument comes up every single week. Aren't you people tired of debating over it yet?

if that is the standard for not arguing anymore, then we might as shut down MFP threads as the same arguments come up constantly …sugar, clean eating, detoxes, etc….
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Uh, no. Not everyone who "eats clean" does this.

The poster said "usually".

That means "not everyone".

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Yes or no?

It's not nit-picking, it's a valid question.

One that remains unanswered....
  • ndj1979
    I guess this must always get heated.

Maybe let's just agree that we all have different ideas about why people lose weight based on our own collection of personal readings and experience that we have done. There are certainly a few ways to get towards the left of the scale. Not just one.

With respect to overall health (which is not always in parallel with weight loss), we all have our own ideas about what contributes to that as well, again, based on which readings and experience have resounded with us. If we are all young enough, we won't know who is right until about 40 years from now.

I just think if a way of life makes you truly happy and invigorated and gives you a sense of purpose in life, then that happiness alone is probably doing your body a hell of a lot of favors!!!!

And ironically at the end of the day, you can achieve all the weight loss and health you ever dreamed of then get hit by a bus shortly after. So no point in arguing, just get out there and do what makes you happy!

actually there is only one way ..eat in a calorie deficit, period.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member

Yes or no?

If they are not eating at a deficit they will not lose weight. You are correct.

For me, aside from weight loss, the point of eating "clean" is to eliminate preservatives, feed my body more nutrients in a form that the body processes more efficiently, and to eliminate as many empty calories as possible. By striving for clean I am paying more attention to labels past the calorie/fat counts.

By eating more clean I am eating more healthy.

I also get my health and nutrition information and guidance from my Physician and Health and Wellness CNP, not the internet.

Again, define clean.

Washing your hands before you eat your cookies!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Eating clean is great. I dont personally but I like the idea of reducing the chemicals in my food and eating more wholefoods. But its not the be all and end all and I get sick of my facebook feed being taken over by zealots who sneer at people who dont eat clean. Even not eating clean I get a good balance of protein, carbs and fats and get plenty of vits in
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I still don't understand the difference between the newfangled "clean eating" and the old fashioned "whole foods." Why develop a new catchphrase for an old idea, particularly when the new one connotes a value judgment against anyone who does not participate. It also seems to have developed a devout cult following.

Is Kool Aid even clean?
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    I still don't understand the difference between the newfangled "clean eating" and the old fashioned "whole foods." Why develop a new catchphrase for an old idea, particularly when the new one connotes a value judgment against anyone who does not participate. It also seems to have developed a devout cult following.

Is Kool Aid even clean?

Depends. Does it contain baking soda?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member

Is Kool Aid even clean?

Completely agree. I would much prefer it to be called whole foods or whatever

But what if you slice up the whole food? It isn't whole anymore. What then?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    There is no one "diet" or eating plan that works for everyone. If you have something that works for you, great! Keep at it.

I have stated my thoughts on the subject. I have the support of my Physician and CNP.

Fine, and I respect that. I suspect your Physician and CNP are defining 'clean' as a healthy and balanced diet, which has a calorie deficit sufficient to lose fat. Which is cool - we could use a hell of a lot more of that kind of thinking.

My concern is more for the people who think substituting brown bread for white, cookies for bananas, and chicken breast for KFC is going to do the job for them. It isn't.

For some, it makes all the difference in the world.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014

Fine, and I respect that. I suspect your Physician and CNP are defining 'clean' as a healthy and balanced diet, which has a calorie deficit sufficient to lose fat. Which is cool - we could use a hell of a lot more of that kind of thinking.

My concern is more for the people who think substituting brown bread for white, cookies for bananas, and chicken breast for KFC is going to do the job for them. It isn't.

By what mechanism? By helping them maintain a calorie deficit, or through some other magic having to do with them not containing unpronouncable ingredients?

Because I'm pretty good at pronouncing those.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

By what mechanism? By helping them maintain a calorie deficit, or through some other magic having to do with them not containing unpronouncable ingredients?

Because I'm pretty good at pronouncing those.

People who have medical conditions… typically autoimmune diseases.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Why develop a new catchphrase for an old idea, particularly when the new one connotes a value judgment against anyone who does not participate.

It is puzzling indeed.
    Is Kool Aid even clean?

Heh.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Thanks for posting article OP Gidzmo, my comments were just directed at the article and the general terminology, not at you.

No worries, Eats. I've never really had an idea of "clean eating", but I know that some prefer their food to have as little preservatives and processing as possible.

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    edited November 2014

It might not be a total change of diet, but it's a start, Herr. :D