2500 calories - how?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I can understand your struggles. The bulk of my diet is made up of whole wheat foods, potatoes, fruit, cheese, yogurt, nuts, along with some foods that are not so healthy. For me, I think it's the fiber content of my diet that makes it hard sometimes for me to reach my calorie goal for slow bulking. But at the same time, given that I'm already eating some empty calories regularly, I don't want to significantly reduce the overall quality of my diet. But I have to admit that it is really easy to get in additional calories by eating cookies, cakes, and chips.

define "empty calories" ..do they not count or something???
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I can understand your struggles. The bulk of my diet is made up of whole wheat foods, potatoes, fruit, cheese, yogurt, nuts, along with some foods that are not so healthy. For me, I think it's the fiber content of my diet that makes it hard sometimes for me to reach my calorie goal for slow bulking. But at the same time, given that I'm already eating some empty calories regularly, I don't want to significantly reduce the overall quality of my diet. But I have to admit that it is really easy to get in additional calories by eating cookies, cakes, and chips.

By "empty", I mean foods that provide little nutritional benefits (other than simply calories).

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem sometimes - I find it quite easy to maul through prodigious amounts of food when I really want to. v___v
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

By "empty", I mean foods that provide little nutritional benefits (other than simply calories).
    Such as what specifically?

Do the carbs and fat in the foods count for anything?
    Perhaps empty is not the best word. But I'm referring to foods such as cookies, cake, pie. Obviously those foods can be high in carbs and fat, but they have little micronutrients.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

But, if the issue is not consuming enough cals, not nutrient deficiencies, what is the problem with "empty cals"?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

But, if the issue is not consuming enough cals, not nutrient deficiencies, what is the problem with "empty cals"?
    As long as one is at least getting in some nutritious food, I don't see any problem with eating some junk food while bulking.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    vladatwork wrote: »
    The day's almost over, I'm 1400 calories behind and if I so much as see another egg I'll barf.

How do you pack in so many calories daily?

So many? 2000 is cutting it down for me and is so difficult. I might be able to not be starving if I could get 2500. Maybe try some milk, or some juice. Not bad for you, and high in calories.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

As long as one is at least getting in some nutritious food, I don't see any problem with eating some junk food while bulking.

So why are you having a hard time reaching your slow bulking cals? Did I miss something?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories is a very good solution. Juices can be pretty high calorie, and smoothies with whole bananas and nut butter along with some protein powder can be very nutritious and calorie dense. Drink milk between meals, and try drinking cups of non-chunky soups, like tomato or butternut squash or anything smooth/creamy, with your meals instead of water, tea or soda.

Also, try some nut/seed butters other than peanut. Almond contains a lot of good fats, sesame tahini is a little higher in calories, and sunflower seed butter is amazing. They all have a distinct flavor profile...put some on bread with a little honey and cinnamon for extra taste and calories.

Adding cheese and/or olive oil to everything that pairs well with it is also a good calorie booster.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited November 2014
    Options

So why are you having a hard time reaching your slow bulking cals? Did I miss something?
    A lot of the healthy foods I eat (like whole grains, dairy, nuts) are either high fiber or high fat, which are pretty satiating. Also, my digestive system is a bit more sensitive than normal, and I can't drink much milk and probably can't do regular protein shakes (though I do eat cheese and yogurt). I don't really need fruit juice with the fruit I'm eating. Some days I do reach my target though.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

A lot of the healthy foods I eat (like whole grains, dairy, nuts) are either high fiber or high fat, which are pretty satiating. Also, my digestive system is a bit more sensitive than normal, and I can't drink much milk and probably can't do regular protein shakes (though I do eat cheese and yogurt). I don't really need fruit juice with the fruit I'm eating.

So how much extra do you need in a day? You don't need the nutrients of the fruit juice, but if it is the most comfortable way for you to hit your cal needs, why avoid them?
  • ForecasterJason
    edited November 2014
    Options

A lot of the healthy foods I eat (like whole grains, dairy, nuts) are either high fiber or high fat, which are pretty satiating. Also, my digestive system is a bit more sensitive than normal, and I can't drink much milk and probably can't do regular protein shakes (though I do eat cheese and yogurt). I don't really need fruit juice with the fruit I'm eating.

So how much extra do you need in a day? You don't need the nutrients of the fruit juice, but if it is the most comfortable way for you to hit your cal needs, why avoid them?
    I've bounced around with the rate at which I want to bulk, but right now I'm looking to do one pound a month, which I believe should be around a 125 calorie surplus. Most days now I'm eating at least that amount if not more than I was before I started training. But even though my workout volume is not that high, it seems as if my maintenance calories shot up by more than that. So, I'm having some difficulty just trying to figure out what my maintenance really is (whether it's closer to 2125, 2150, 2175, or 2200).

As for the fruit juice, I think my digestive tract is already running along very fast, so I don't really want to add additional fiber or anything that would make me more "regular".

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options

A lot of the healthy foods I eat (like whole grains, dairy, nuts) are either high fiber or high fat, which are pretty satiating. Also, my digestive system is a bit more sensitive than normal, and I can't drink much milk and probably can't do regular protein shakes (though I do eat cheese and yogurt). I don't really need fruit juice with the fruit I'm eating. Some days I do reach my target though.

You don't have to use milk for protein shakes. Almond, rice, soy or hemp milk works just as well. Also, water, although that isn't as tasty.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I had 2500 for after dinner dinner last night. HTFU
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »

I'm sure that the OP finds comments like this to be very helpful and motivating! Thank you for your contribution! >:)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ate over 2400 calories today, that's eating at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney and Disney Quest. :wink:

ETA: Today's rest day.

Just eat higher calorie foods, like: peanutbutter, nuts, glass of milk, ice cream and ice cream.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »

I'm sure that the OP finds comments like this to be very helpful and motivating! Thank you for your contribution! >:)

No probs. Have a good day :)