Options
2»

Replies

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/basics/causes/con-20034056

~Atherosclerosis (a buildup of fatty plaques in the arteries)
    ~Arrhythmia (messed up heart rhythms)
    ~Genetic defects
    ~Cardiomyopathy (thickening of the heart muscle)
    ~Heart infections (bacteria, viruses, parasites_
    ~Vascular disease (rheumatic fever, infections, connective tissue disorders)

I see you listed a bunch of common ways the heart can be diseased. Some are more rare, some more common.

I'm talking about the most common of all: atherosclerosis... which leads to arrhythmias and cardiomyopathy.

One person said it: processed food

Yup, that's what I'd say. Specifically because of the extreme excess of omega 6 fatty acids, trans fats, and sugar (and, yes, carbohydrates, in general).

Of course, I could go into far more depth on each of these and why. But, my point is... yes, my mind was blown this year by discovering this truth. I'm glad. And I feel more healthier now than ever. I just wish it was more mainstream. I wonder if others are coming to realization.

I'm not sure truth means what you think it means

Ooooo, intriguing.... can you elaborate?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    One can be labeled as having heart disease, even though all they had was a dissection. No plaque, cholesterol and completely healthy. I have 2 stents in my heart now because of it. sydui9rc1q5k.jpg
  • Crisseyda
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    The question is... what's causing the inflammation?

It's normal to have some degree of inflammation. "Inflammation" is how our bodies heal.

Of course many people have an imbalance with too much inflammation due to all sorts of factors. A lot of it is probably dietary, and processed foods are probably a big culprit. But unfortunately the answer is not as simple as just "processed foods."

Yes, inflammation is healing, but it is also often deadly. It is an underlying cause of debilitating chronic illnesses like asthma, Crohn's, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer; and it can also kill someone in a matter of hours from an allergen, bodily insult, or infection that turns into sepsis or acute respiratory distress syndrome. The doctor literally can't save the patient from drowning in their own inflammatory mediators. On the whole, nobody ever has a problem not having enough inflammation (unless they on are immunosuppressants, of course), but more than likely almost everyone in the U.S., following a standard diet and lifestyle, has too much inflammation.

Answers are never simple. I completely agree. I'm not seeking a simple answer. If the answer was as simple as processed foods, then someone could come along and say, "Any time you alter food it is processed," and feel like they've added something meaningful to the conversation by knocking down the premise.... oh, wait...

All I'm saying is that I see myself as an educated, health-conscious, open-minded person, and I've lived for the last 5-10 yrs thinking I was making the right choices, but now realizing how far off course I was. It is frustrating, and I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat. If you're not in the same place as me, that's totally fine! If you are accepting of mainstream nutritional data that we've all heard and believed for years, I totally get it. I'm not judging you.

.........................................................................................................

On a side note, I really don't understand the hostility that believing anything different brings out in certain people. I embrace differences, and it has brought me increased perspective, compassion, and connection to others. It makes life all the more fascinating to stay open to perceiving new concepts and paradigms. My MBTI says I am strong P, and I understand those J's need things a little more exact and concrete, so maybe it's just personality... and hopefully not character.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/basics/causes/con-20034056

~Genetic defects

I see you listed a bunch of common ways the heart can be diseased. Some are more rare, some more common.

I'm talking about the most common of all: atherosclerosis... which leads to arrhythmias and cardiomyopathy.

Yup, that's what I'd say. Specifically because of the extreme excess of omega 6 fatty acids, trans fats, and sugar (and, yes, carbohydrates, in general).

Of course, I could go into far more depth on each of these and why. But, my point is... yes, my mind was blown this year by discovering this truth. I'm glad. And I feel more healthier now than ever. I just wish it was more mainstream. I wonder if others are coming to realization.

What is truth as it relates to science? How do you deal with conflicting study results on the same subject matter?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

~Genetic defects

Carbohydrates in general?I You mean like the rice and yams in Okinawa and the pasta in the Mediterranean? Are those the carbs you mean?
  • Crisseyda
    edited November 2014
    Options

~Genetic defects

What is truth as it relates to science? How do you deal with conflicting study results on the same subject matter?

Here's a good guideline for how to deal with conflicting study results:

ebm.jpg

For example, a Cochrane Review would be far more weighted than a retrospective study.

You can also look at who funded the study, how it was conducted, whether it was peer-reviewed...

Here's an engaging TED Talk on some issues with interpreting evidence:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_battling_bad_science?language=en

;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

~Genetic defects

ebm.jpg

For example, a Cochrane Review would be far more weighted than a retrospective study.

You can also look at who funded the study, how it was conducted, whether it was peer-reviewed...

;)

Funny many of the carbs are bad, specifically the sugar is the devil studies fall under the bad science tent.
  • Crisseyda
    Options

~Genetic defects

Carbohydrates in general?I You mean like the rice and yams in Okinawa and the pasta in the Mediterranean? Are those the carbs you mean?

You sound alarmed. So out of respect, I will assume you are not passive-aggressively and sarcastically trying to incite controversy, and I will attempt to assauge your fears...

The connection between processed foods and excess carbohydrates in a diet is that the former tends to generate the latter. Do you follow me? Seems pretty obvious that humans need all macronutrients in balanced ratios.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol do not contribute to heart disease.

I've never seen anything to make me think the above statement is true. Had you said "cause" instead of "contribute", then yeah. But I think many things contribute to heart disease. Some dietary, some not. It seems more about balance than anything else. Balanced diet, balanced life.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

~Genetic defects

ebm.jpg

;)

I can't be the only one who read that as the "Cocain Review" can I???
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So, here's a question. I know a lot of people say no carbs, no proccessed fats, etc. as things not to eat. But do any of them have actual hard scientific data to share to support it? Not an article you've read in some journal or newspaper, but the actual scientific study data that supports it. All I've ever seen is random reports, and they're constantly changing, which tells me there's little to no actual data or proper studies made. A lot of them are based on either old studies that may not have been done correctly, or something one scientist said somewhere with a poor study or his/her opinion based on passive observation.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, inflammation is healing, but it is also often deadly. It is an underlying cause of debilitating chronic illnesses like asthma, Crohn's, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer; and it can also kill someone in a matter of hours from an allergen, bodily insult, or infection that turns into sepsis or acute respiratory distress syndrome. The doctor literally can't save the patient from drowning in their own inflammatory mediators. On the whole, nobody ever has a problem not having enough inflammation (unless they on are immunosuppressants, of course), but more than likely almost everyone in the U.S., following a standard diet and lifestyle, has too much inflammation.

Answers are never simple. I completely agree. I'm not seeking a simple answer. If the answer was as simple as processed foods, then someone could come along and say, "Any time you alter food it is processed," and feel like they've added something meaningful to the conversation by knocking down the premise.... oh, wait...

All I'm saying is that I see myself as an educated, health-conscious, open-minded person, and I've lived for the last 5-10 yrs thinking I was making the right choices, but now realizing how far off course I was. It is frustrating, and I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat. If you're not in the same place as me, that's totally fine! If you are accepting of mainstream nutritional data that we've all heard and believed for years, I totally get it. I'm not judging you.

Well when the data that exonerated saturated fat (and fats in general) came out several years ago a lot of people's minds were blown. A lot of us were just down right angry too. How many years did I spend drinking skim milk, eating low fat cheese, etc?

In regard to inflammation: if you had less "inflammation" then you would be susceptible to infections and heal slowly. In this day and age those issues wouldn't be fatal but 100 years ago they would have been. Of course, there are issues with processed foods and processed oils possibly causing excess inflammation which is probably bad. But I don't think the answer is going to be that simple. We're probably exposed to pollutants as adults, not exposed to enough germs as children, too obese, not active enough, etc. There are many possible causes of dysfunctional levels of inflammation.
    .........................................................................................................

On a side note, I really don't understand the hostility that believing anything different brings out in certain people. I embrace differences, and it has brought me increased perspective, compassion, and connection to others. It makes life all the more fascinating to stay open to perceiving new concepts and paradigms. My MBTI says I am strong P, and I understand those J's need things a little more exact and concrete, so maybe it's just personality... and hopefully not character.

I think the hostility is present b/c everyone is sick of one particular thing being blamed. We already got burned with saturated fats, then it was carbs, then processed foods (which can be hard to define, but there are some good definitions).

BTW, I strongly agree that we should minimize highly processed foods, added sugar, and highly processed oils. It would probably reduce athersclerosis, but it wouldn't completely stop it.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    So, here's a question. I know a lot of people say no carbs, no proccessed fats, etc. as things not to eat. But do any of them have actual hard scientific data to share to support it? Not an article you've read in some journal or newspaper, but the actual scientific study data that supports it. All I've ever seen is random reports, and they're constantly changing, which tells me there's little to no actual data or proper studies made. A lot of them are based on either old studies that may not have been done correctly, or something one scientist said somewhere with a poor study or his/her opinion based on passive observation.

Yes, I agree. The information out there is circuitous and tangled. One thing, however--there is enough evidence to support processed fats as detrimental for the FDA to attempt to reduce industrially produced trans fats in our foods.

Here's another starter talk, if you are interested in hearing different perspectives on saturated fat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHGiid6N9Q