Living in the city of thin people

Options

Replies

• QueenKristine7
    Options
    it's like comparing apples and oranges, try not to compare yourself to others. And who cares what they look like, be happy with you
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    When traveling abroad a general rule is that if there is a white person and they are fat they area almost always either American or German.

When I was in the Philippines if I saw an obese person in the corner of my eye, I'd pretty much guarantee that it was a white guy in his 50's-60's. Just like any woman there wearing a dress, 50% chance she was South Korean.

When I go to Queenstown, New Zealand ("The adventure capital of the world") I can't believe how slim people are. It's like going back to the 80's.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I opened this with the assumption that it was about Los Angeles (backing out of thread). :|
    I find it funny when people say that about LA. I'm like, have you ever really been to LA? By and large, they are just as large as people from other areas I've been.

Denver people are smaller. :D;)
    I wonder how much longer that will hold. What, with you all getting the munchies :p

Valid. >:)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think the OP was just making an observation. Why are people getting so offended? I've traveled all over the world and I've made similar observations. So what?

I work with a department full of largely over weight and mostly incompetent people.

just making an observation.

shrug some how I'm okay doing it because "I'm just making an observation"

sometimes you just gotta keep it to yourself because in the world of things worth giving a FCK about- this isn't one of those things.

Secondly- holy insecurities batman.

The part about insecurities...huh?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the South Pacific is the most obese part of the world. Putting this up again: vizhub.healthdata.org/obesity/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Don't they have poutine in Toronto? One of the most calorie laden foods ever? Maybe only in Quebec. C'est la vie.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was just making an observation. Why are people getting so offended? I've traveled all over the world and I've made similar observations. So what?

I work with a department full of largely over weight and mostly incompetent people.

sometimes you just gotta keep it to yourself because in the world of things worth giving a FCK about- this isn't one of those things.

If you walk around a city and all you can think- is holy cow I'm surrounded by thin people- that says a lot about your on insecurities.

I'm neither fat nor thin- among some crowds I'm fat- and among some crowds I'm thin.

At no point have I ever obsessed about being either fat or thin surrounded by other types of people- why? Because I'm very comfortable with my body. Even when I auditioned for a modelling show- and I was very much surrounded by tall thin women- I never thought anything of it.

This post is 100% about the OP's insecurities speaking.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    It is hard to live in the land of skinny people. I live in China, and I'm a westerner. I'm skinny now, but I wasn't before and yet I'm still huge compared with the Chinese women. I've had to get over the fact that I have to buy a large when I'd buy a small/medium in the West.

The big thing that has helped me get over it? Realizing that I'm not them, and I'd never want to look like them. For me, being healthy means having muscles. My job can require some physical labor at time so I'd never be able to do it if I looked like them.

Many of the Chinese women are all skinny fat. Skinny as twigs but no muscles/muscle tone. Mostly due to the fact that that's the preference, and more western Chinese have told me that the men prefer their women not to have visible muscles. In fact there's a term for woman who have muscles and aren't afraid to do work that requires using muscles "nu hanzi" (kind of translates to woman-boy). A lot of women are afraid of becoming a nu hanzi. I've seen women at the gym struggle to do a weight exercise with a 1 kg weight and stop as soon as they break a sweat. This is not typical of all Chinese women though. There are a small percentage of Chinese woman (most of my gym friends including one woman who's nothing but abs and muscles) who do enjoy weights. But they're like 1 in 20 women. And it's a bit unfortunate to say that in a way we all have come together because we don't want to be skinny fat.

I may get stared at at the gym, had to work to convince pump instructor at the new gym in the area I moved to that doing weights heavier then the men was my normal and I wouldn't hurt myself. But ultimately, I'd prefer to look healthy and muscled than skinny fat. Let them stare. Maybe I'll inspire somebody that you're not going to get huge and muscled from doing weights.

Plus having an *kitten* is so much nicer than all the women who look awful from behind because they have no butt to hold up their pants. Needless to say, living where I do has made me never want to be skinny fat.

Don't measure yourself to them. Measure yourself against you.

can you say the words "skinny fat" again? i didn't hear you the first 5 times. that's like the most offensive phrase on here. people need to stop. not to mention, your post is extremely offensive and racist against asains who look just fine. you can be happy with your body without putting down others.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

If you walk around a city and all you can think- is holy cow I'm surrounded by thin people- that says a lot about your on insecurities.

I'm neither fat nor thin- among some crowds I'm fat- and among some crowds I'm thin.

At no point have I ever obsessed about being either fat or thin surrounded by other types of people- why? Because I'm very comfortable with my body. Even when I auditioned for a modelling show- and I was very much surrounded by tall thin women- I never thought anything of it.

This post is 100% about the OP's insecurities speaking.

Oh...right...good for you then. I thought you were referring to MY insecurities, of which I have none... haha...

When I'm in northern Europe I feel like a dwarf and when I'm in Latin America I feel like a giant. It's fun.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Toronto is full of hotties

sorry OP move to Windsor
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto. As one of my European friends once commented "the funny thing about coming to Toronto (or anywhere else in North America, for that matter) is that men think women are hot if they're thin because it's so rare, whereas in France, because it's so common we actually focus on beauty, not just weight."

In other words he thinks that North American men's standards for "hotness" are skewed because they're more likely to overlook a mediocre face in favour of a hot body.

I'm inclined to agree with him. See it all the time in Toronto.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Next time, travel to Beverly Hills/Hollywood, where a size 2 is considered obese. Or, simply be happy with yourself as you are.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    It is hard to live in the land of skinny people. I live in China, and I'm a westerner. I'm skinny now, but I wasn't before and yet I'm still huge compared with the Chinese women. I've had to get over the fact that I have to buy a large when I'd buy a small/medium in the West.

The big thing that has helped me get over it? Realizing that I'm not them, and I'd never want to look like them. For me, being healthy means having muscles. My job can require some physical labor at time so I'd never be able to do it if I looked like them.

Many of the Chinese women are all skinny fat. Skinny as twigs but no muscles/muscle tone. Mostly due to the fact that that's the preference, and more western Chinese have told me that the men prefer their women not to have visible muscles. In fact there's a term for woman who have muscles and aren't afraid to do work that requires using muscles "nu hanzi" (kind of translates to woman-boy). A lot of women are afraid of becoming a nu hanzi. I've seen women at the gym struggle to do a weight exercise with a 1 kg weight and stop as soon as they break a sweat. This is not typical of all Chinese women though. There are a small percentage of Chinese woman (most of my gym friends including one woman who's nothing but abs and muscles) who do enjoy weights. But they're like 1 in 20 women. And it's a bit unfortunate to say that in a way we all have come together because we don't want to be skinny fat.

I may get stared at at the gym, had to work to convince pump instructor at the new gym in the area I moved to that doing weights heavier then the men was my normal and I wouldn't hurt myself. But ultimately, I'd prefer to look healthy and muscled than skinny fat. Let them stare. Maybe I'll inspire somebody that you're not going to get huge and muscled from doing weights.

Plus having an *kitten* is so much nicer than all the women who look awful from behind because they have no butt to hold up their pants. Needless to say, living where I do has made me never want to be skinny fat.

can you say the words "skinny fat" again? i didn't hear you the first 5 times. that's like the most offensive phrase on here. people need to stop. not to mention, your post is extremely offensive and racist against asains who look just fine. you can be happy with your body without putting down others.

^^^^^^

This

There is a term "normal weight-obese" for people with normal bmi but high %bf. or you could just describe what you mean. Skinny-fat has no meaning and is offensive.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

^^^^^^

This

There is a term "normal weight-obese" for people with normal bmi but high %bf. or you could just describe what you mean. Skinny-fat has no meaning and is offensive.

I also highly doubt that these asian women are "skinny-fat" or "normal weight-obese". They are just skinny. People have extended the term "skinny-fat" to include all women who don't have muscles and that's completely offensive. Wasn't enough to body shame overweight women. Have to go after skinny women too. ridiculous.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

whoa! Touchy much? I'm sorry you see my experiences directly dealing with working with the Chinese and going to the gym in China as offensive and racist. Having Chinese friends and dealing with the gyms, unfortunately these are not my observations, they are theirs that I am repeating. And also the gyms--when I moved to the new area I live in and was looking for a gym I had a lot of them tell me that they only offer Chinese dancing-type classes as everything else was too difficult for the Chinese and would cause them to sweat and become nu hanzi. These were the people at the gym telling me this unfortunately. Which I knew not to be true having gone to another gym in another part of the city where people were active participants and broke the stereotypes presented by the people who run the gyms in the new part of the city I live in.

It's too bad that my direct observations, repeating words of my Chinese friends and what gyms have told me is considered offensive and racist. I guess the people I have had experience with are racist and offensive against their own people.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I also highly doubt that these asian women are "skinny-fat" or "normal weight-obese". They are just skinny. People have extended the term "skinny-fat" to include all women who don't have muscles and that's completely offensive. Wasn't enough to body shame overweight women. Have to go after skinny women too. ridiculous.

Exactly. If you're slim but not working out, you're "skinny fat". That's the case for men too. Hence why I'll never post a photo of me at goal weight because someone will inevitably say I need to lift weights.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to have upset the skinny fat police. I will leave this thread now as it seems those of us who are living in places like this can't express views without being jumped on as the other poster who lives in China experienced. Please leave it alone from here on out as I am not going to check here anymore.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Is "skinny chubby" acceptable
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Don't forget to consider those with a genetic predispositon to flat *kitten* syndrome, and those with bodies that find it difficult to gain muscle. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but don't go degrading other people's bodies because you never really know whether it's choice or not.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I opened this with the assumption that it was about Los Angeles (backing out of thread). :|

I did too, except I did not back out of the thread but jumped headlong in.