Living in the city of thin people

I live in Toronto, which is a city of very thin women. There are a lot of Chinese girls who are absolutely teeny-tiny. The rest of us aren't far behind. Seriously, walking down super-fashionable Queen West, nobody is over a size 8. I'm 5'6 131 lbs, 25 inch waist, and always feel big boned, even though I know I probably look the same as everyone else. I went to London, UK and the girls were much heavier in general than Toronto girls. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    5'6" and 131 lbs IS thin.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited November 2014
    5'6" and 131 lbs IS thin.

^This. And of course a 5'6" woman towers over a 4'10"-5" one (assuming the Asian population of Toronto tends toward shorter stature like they do here). I'm the "Amazonian" woman at my school (I guess people around my area tend to be short?). But I'm slender, like you, too. But I don't feel big boned at all--just tall (relatively). Because I am.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    I live in Toronto, which is a city of very thin women. There are a lot of Chinese girls who are absolutely teeny-tiny. The rest of us aren't far behind. Seriously, walking down super-fashionable Queen West, nobody is over a size 8. I'm 5'6 131 lbs, 25 inch waist, and always feel big boned, even though I know I probably look the same as everyone else. I went to London, UK and the girls were much heavier in general than Toronto girls. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have been to Toronto and while it is more fit than almost all US cities, it is certainly not at thin as you make it sound.

Try traveling to Asia or Africa where in many places the average BMI is 20 or 21

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member

I'm tired so sorry if I have completely missed something but what is your question / statement? Women in London are fatter than women in Toronto?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

I'm tired so sorry if I have completely missed something but what is your question / statement? Women in London are fatter than women in Toronto?

I think that's it
  • trinatrina1984
    arditarose wrote: »

I think that's it

Thanks for confirming

OP, I don't know what response you are expecting so I'm just gonna go with this

200.gif

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    I think that is quite rude to say women in London etc are heavier. Britain is part of the European union, and European's are curvy women. Obvious troll. And yeah, Asian women are practically forced to be teeny tiny by their families, and the media. Ever seen K-pop?
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    And honestly, if you are actually serious, then you really need to see your doctor. To think you are big boned at that weight and height is not healthy whatsoever.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Are you bragging or complaining?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Does this remind anyone of Hot in Clevleand only about weight instead of looks?

tumblr_mvt1bbt3DM1rqu3aso1_500.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • trinatrina1984
    200.gif
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    25" waist is tiny! I'm 5'4", 105 lbs and I think that I have a 26" waist.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Please don't judge your body based on completely different sets of genetics. Just be happy being a healthy you!

Perhaps you need to update your wardrobe to take advantage of your shape! :D
  • sdwis
    sdwis Posts: 4 Member
    I agree with Aemely. You cannot compare yourself to someone of another ethnicity and use the same standards to determine what you should look like, aspire to look like, or feel bad about. I've been to Toronto and outlying suburbs of Canada quite a few times, and my observation is that the Caucasian women are more similar in size to their American Caucasian counterparts, and are on the average or heavier side, not too many considered 'thin'. I am 5'10, American and weigh 140 lbs. I wear size 2-4 in clothing, but if I order a size 2-4 or small directly from China or go into a clothing shop in Chinatown, it is usually too short and looks like a pre-teen undeveloped girl could wear it. Even though I have small legs and hips, I still have 38D natural breasts, meaning I am small, but still shaped like a woman.

I've traveled and lived in lots of different cities all over the world, and in North America particularly, most women aren't thin. As of late, it is starting to concern me that a lot of people (men, women, black, white, red, yellow, brown) I am seeing are not just overweight, but downright DANGEROUSLY OBESE. As someone who isn't, I am still concerned about what is happening to our society in general when it comes to this epidemic.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

explain-wisconsin-16.gif
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    edited November 2014
    I live in Toronto and yes, the population is much more fit than other areas-- compared to the GTA suburbs anyway. The reason is because everyone walks/bikes everywhere, nothing to do with ethnicity!

I do get it though, I have often felt that everyone in this city is so damn skinny, why can't I be?! That motivated me to lose the weight!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    So I agree that this is ridiculous, but I have to say-I lived in the country for awhile, and now I live in the city. It SEEMS like less people are overweight here in the city. But that doesn't really seem like a fair assessment, considering how much more densely populate the area is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Just move then.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    +1 for leaving Canada. :) I liked London better anyway.