Emotional Dessert Eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• LilyandO
    Options
    Hi there,

Absolutely understand what you are going through - I used to have/have a massive sweet tooth and here are some of the things that came to my mind while I read your posts:

- what is emotion behind the eating? what do you feel when you crave the sugar? are you going thru a tough phase or are battling childhood issues that "seem" to go away when you eat sugar? I think its worth looking into this, so yes, a therapist would really help.

- do you have the option of cooking your own food if you dont like whats in the canteen/buffet? I think if you had more of the food you liked (for eg. if I dont Indian food atleast 2 times a week, I go bat crazy and lose the plot)

- Multivitamins, esp magnesium as it helps curb sugar cravings

- Replace one dessert a day with full-fat yoghurt and fruit (low fat anything tends to have more sugar, so best avoided)..and then in a few weeks, replace the second dessert with 2-3 dates

- Mindful when you think about and express your thoughts about food. It is not out to get you. Eat many meals during the day, a full breakfast with protein and little snacks between meals. DONT go hungry, the sugar pangs will go insane.

Sugar is addictive just like drugs, so your body will hate it and hate you for it. Make small changes, be mindful and do the best you can. You wont always succeed but you will start to see a healthier mindset and patterns.

Good luck!