Do you use Mfp maintanance calories?

Options
If so, are they enough and not to low? I am at point were I am happy with the way I look and want to start maintaining my weight. However, i am planning to still track my food using mfp.So does anyone use mfp maintanance calories?

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do! And it works!! I need the accountability of logging every day and making sure I'm sticking pretty close to the same amount of calories because otherwise, I tend to overeat and I'd really rather not get fat and out of shape again! : :p
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I do. Well, I'm *almost* at maintenance (trying to "float" down another 3-5 pounds slowly). But, yeah, I set MFP to "maintain my weight", and eat that plus almost every exercise calorie I earn (I use a Fitbit to count those).

So far, the number I get seems right. I leave 100-150 calories uneaten everyday, and I'm still losing at a snail's pace (as a 100-150 deficit would indicate). So, I'd say the number MFP gives me is pretty spot on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    MFP numbers are off for me if I were to use the activity numbers to indicate my total energy use (including exercise). Depending which external calculator will actually be close to my real TDEE, MFP is either over or under by about 100 calories.

But all calculators are estimates. If you set it to maintenance and you still lose, then just manually increase the calories. If you gain, manually lower them.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    MFP says I would maintain at ~1700 but I actually maintain around 2000.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    My TDEE & MFP calories to maintain are pretty close.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    My TDEE & MFP calories to maintain are pretty close.

Same here--within 50-75 cals a day
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    MFP numbers are off for me if I were to use the activity numbers to indicate my total energy use (including exercise). Depending which external calculator will actually be close to my real TDEE, MFP is either over or under by about 100 calories.

But all calculators are estimates. If you set it to maintenance and you still lose, then just manually increase the calories. If you gain, manually lower them.

I would think if the calculator is within 100 calories either way,that is pretty close
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.

I have found both MFP weight loss calories and now maitenance calories are pretty accurate for me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I maintain, I find maintenance calories to be too high for me, but then again I have a medical condition to explain that and adjust accordingly. Experiment and see where yours fall.
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maintenance for me has been great. I eat exactly what MFP has given me, and I've maintained since July.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I freaking hope MFP maintenance calories aren't right for me. Man I want at least 2000!
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    they are about right I need to eat back excersize calories to maintain tho.. it gives me 2010 am averaging about 2500 a day ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh, right...MFP calories are not your TDEE, so you do get to eat your exercise cals back if you use it...correct?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, but its fairly close to what MFP gives me.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh, right...MFP calories are not your TDEE, so you do get to eat your exercise cals back if you use it...correct?

I eat back at least half sometimes more and sometimes over.. Twice this week I was over 3000 calories and I was still the same weight this morning!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes that is correct.

Although some people say the exercise calories are over estimated so eat 1/2 or 3/4 back, not all of them.

But eating exercise calories back is the way the MFP number works, unlike TDEE number where they are built in already.

• crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and lost 40lbs on MFP. Kept the weight off by logging and exercising and eating every calorie. I have had 100% success, but then again I really work the program.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I raised the MFP maintenance # by about 150 calories a day. I went 10 pounds below my goal with MFPs actual #. I have been in maintenance for a little over a year. I eat back almost all exercise calories. It has worked out very well.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    They seem more or less correct but you have to understand that overestimation in exercise and adjust accordingly.