Do you use Mfp maintanance calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am at year 2 in maintenance. Yes, it is more or less correct. There is a certain amount of variability in weight that is natural but weekly weight monitoring is all that is really needed. I still log my food. I left a little deficit most days but things seem pretty close

You probably know that exercise in MFP can overestimate calorie expenditure. So keep that in mind.

I am resuming weight loss for running/racing purposes, but I have been satisfied with the results in maintenance.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh, right...MFP calories are not your TDEE, so you do get to eat your exercise cals back if you use it...correct?

Yes that is correct.

Although some people say the exercise calories are over estimated so eat 1/2 or 3/4 back, not all of them.

But eating exercise calories back is the way the MFP number works, unlike TDEE number where they are built in already.

Yeah I know, I've just been switching between the two and getting so confused lately. I completely forgot that if you use MFP maintenance you can eat back some calories from exercise. Still don't know what I'm doing at the moment ;)
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a Garmin 15 activity tracker,which gives me my calories burned at days end, I use IIFYM's tdee and i use MFP. I have a Garmin 220 HRM to log my formal exercise,which than syncs with MFP. ALL of these are within 50-75 calories of each other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any calculator is going to be an estimate...if you use this tool properly (i.e. understand the method and why you eat back exercise calories) it should be reasonably close...but you have to make adjustments as per your real world results.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My MFP maintenance and TDEE are pretty close. I, however, have set my calorie goal to TDEE and log my exercises as 1 calorie expended. My exercise routine is constant, so I just find that method way easier.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My MFP maintenance and TDEE are pretty close. I, however, have set my calorie goal to TDEE and log my exercises as 1 calorie expended. My exercise routine is constant, so I just find that method way easier.

I do this also
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've adjusted MFP's maintenance calories up by 100-150 calories and eat back 100% of my exercise calories. Continuing to log keeps me consistent and accountable.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My MFP maintenance seems pretty accurate. It has me at about 1900 cals/day. My FitBit says I burn about 2100 cals/day and that seems reasonable that I would get about 200 extra calories from exercise (usually just walking or an exercise DVD).

Right now I'm still set a little under 1700 because I had some summer time weight creep on and though I've gotten back down to my goal weight, I think I will keep the calorie goal lower through the holidays just to help keep me on track, without sweating if I go over because I know I have a buffer built in.

I'm going to reassess my numbers (weight and calorie goals) in January just in time for the brigade of 1,200 cal resolutioners to join MFP...
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am in the boat as Kruggeri - some weight creep over the summer and now staying at 1700 cals per day until the new year - again no sweat if I go over the odd dat., Xmas/New year are really dangerous times of year for me. I just don't want to blow all my hard work.

Back to the question MFP set my maintenance around 2,100 and FBit approx 2,400. I normally ate 1,800-2,000 which allowed for some extras at the weekends. Exercise I ate back 50% max. I am still getting comfortable with maintenance and once I am back to norm will start to move up my cals to see what happens - would love to eat 2,200 daily plus eat back exercise cals and not gain weight.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't. MFP has me at 1350 to maintain, but I lose weight that low (without exercise). My maintenance is closer to 1600-1700 average calories at lightly active.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    MFP would have me maintain at 2650 calories a day, but I'm maintaining at ~3k right now. My Fitbit puts me at 3100 cals to maintain.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1690 calories to maintain, which I rounded up to 1700, and then use Garmin Connect (vivofit/HRM) to adjust exercise calories above the lightly active setting I used in MFP. Over the last month or so my weight has been remarkably stable.
  • Penny5518
    Penny5518 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    MFP puts me at 1750 to maintain, whereas I actually maintain on more like 2000 (Yay!).