Is sugar addiction real?

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Yes ! As bad an addiction as crack cocaine! Speaking from experience :sad:

Please tell me more about the last time your children went hungry because you spent all your money on cupcake frosting.

^ This. It's about time people stop using terms like "addicted" because they have self control issues.

Addiction is defined by the lack of self control. There is a range of difficulty in overcoming addiction, some find it more difficult than others. Ask anyone who has tried to quit smoking or caffeine.

A lack of self control is one aspect of it. I'm pretty familiar with real addictions, and while I understand that caffeine technically fits, I'd also find it amusing if someone was seriously trying to equate it with drug or alcohol addiction. Go ahead, make excuses, whine about how you can't. I've seen people overcome far more difficult things.

I do not "whine" about it--I just don't eat it--and haven't for a number of years now. Your attitude is unhelpful.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    After 24 hours, any leftover addiction is all in your head.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Please tell me more about the last time your children went hungry because you spent all your money on cupcake frosting.

^ This. It's about time people stop using terms like "addicted" because they have self control issues.

Addiction is defined by the lack of self control. There is a range of difficulty in overcoming addiction, some find it more difficult than others. Ask anyone who has tried to quit smoking or caffeine.

A lack of self control is one aspect of it. I'm pretty familiar with real addictions, and while I understand that caffeine technically fits, I'd also find it amusing if someone was seriously trying to equate it with drug or alcohol addiction. Go ahead, make excuses, whine about how you can't. I've seen people overcome far more difficult things.

I do not "whine" about it--I just don't eat it--and haven't for a number of years now. Your attitude is unhelpful.

I'm not concerned with what you think about my attitude. I am simply concerned with reality. There were a couple of very well thought out, albeit short, posts against the idea that sugar addiction is real and I quoted one of them. I also responded to the assertion that addiction = lack of self control, which is clearly not correct as it is not the entire story.

Oh, and having read a huge number of your posts, I will respectfully disagree with your assertion regarding whining.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    I dunno. Is bacon addiction real? because I really like bacon.
  • BeachIron

A lack of self control is one aspect of it. I'm pretty familiar with real addictions, and while I understand that caffeine technically fits, I'd also find it amusing if someone was seriously trying to equate it with drug or alcohol addiction. Go ahead, make excuses, whine about how you can't. I've seen people overcome far more difficult things

Try getting a humour! Your the one being serious!

Hum. I shall have to go search for "a humour." I wonder if they sell those on ebay . . .
  • SanteMulberry
    If you do not eat sugar what do you eat? Artifical sweeteners?

I tend not to eat artificial sweeteners for the same reason that recovering alcoholics often don't drink cola or ginger ale. Because they were accustomed to spiking it with some type of liquor. The sweet taste COULD make you crave the real thing (not saying it does for everyone, but for some people it does). I use a drop or two of liquid stevia occasionally in something like cole slaw--where the sweet/sour taste is indispensable. I use stevia-sweetened whey in smoothies but I dilute the sweet taste with avocado and unsweetened fruit.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Sugar addiction is completely real and I understand completely where you are coming from. My best advice is start tracking how you feel the next couple of days after a sugar binge like that. I found myself to be more crabby and irritable, not to mention an increased NEED to have more. These things are what I use to remind myself to remember the word MODERATION very well when I am headed in that area. I was shocked the other day, woman's favorite aunt came to town for her week long visit and it is a given I will crave chocolate. I went in and got a .25 cent bite size candy and was solid and pleased. You will turn it down if you really want, just like you will allow yourself the guilty pleasure on occasion too. You have the fault of being human. Stop that :wink:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I'll stay out of the debate and answer the "what to do about it" part of the question: just cut it out, temporarily at least. For a few weeks, do your absolute best to avoid foods with added sugars, and stick to lower-sugar fruits. Let your taste buds and hormones adjust. You can add cookie, cake, candy, whatever back in eventually, but form strong habits with non-triggering, nutrient-packed foods first, and when you begin to eat sugary food again, make it a treat. Also, make sure it's something you really, really WANT - it's easy to finish something because it's there even though you don't really like it or were satisfied with half a cookie instead of a whole one.
  • SanteMulberry

I'm not concerned with what you think about my attitude. I am simply concerned with reality.

Oh, and having read a huge number of your posts, I will respectfully disagree with your assertion regarding whining.

Um--you want to explain that personal attack, sir? I am quite content with my situation and your hostility notwithstanding, find that there are many people in similar circumstances to where I was a few years ago and I am attempting to help them. It is apparent that you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion.
  • BeachIron

I'm not concerned with what you think about my attitude. I am simply concerned with reality.

Um--you want to explain that personal attack, sir? I am quite content with my situation and your hostility notwithstanding, find that there are many people in similar circumstances here who I am attempting to help.

I find that trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who constantly pushes pseudoscience to be a most unproductive use of my time. Best of luck with your continuing struggles. :flowerforyou:
  • tsh0ck
    no answer yet ... but I'm hopeful. bacon addiction: real?
  • SanteMulberry

Um--you want to explain that personal attack, sir? I am quite content with my situation and your hostility notwithstanding, find that there are many people in similar circumstances here who I am attempting to help.

I find that trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who constantly pushes pseudoscience to be a most unproductive use of my time. Best of luck with your continuing struggles. :flowerforyou:

It is NOT "pseudoscience"--it is the subject of real research by qualified medical researchers. If you have nothing intelligent to use in conversation, perhaps you should just not converse. I do not HAVE continuing struggles, thank you very much. Oh, and :flowerforyou: too!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member

Hell no!
    Eat fruits!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member

Apply for a grant and study the hell out of this.
  • tsh0ck

Hell no!
    Eat fruits!

unpossible. they have sugar.
  • BeachIron
    OP - since this thread is about you and your needs, my suggestion is to stay away from this subject and certain groups and members that are associated with it, and to focus instead on people who have been successful in transforming their lives. There is quite a bit of real support on here and a number of people who will push you to be your best. Learning to moderate your food intake is not always easy but it can be done. Eliminating sugar from your diet would eliminate fruit among other foods. This is one of many reasons I believe that equating sugar cravings with the likes of alcoholism and drug addiction is unfair, and that the solution that would naturally be proposed (the complete elimination of sugar from your diet), is not reasonable or sustainable.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Apply for a grant and study the hell out of this.

I'd like to volunteer for this study.
  • In for answers on the diagnostic criteria for "sugar addiction" and proof that doesn't involve rats

I don't understand what this comment means?

It means someone likes to argue......and YES, sugar addiction is real.......says about 98% of humans, not rats......seems you are once again outnumbered :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Saw a episode on Dr. Oz...he said it is true. He said that everyone has different taste buds, and some of us react different to sugar and salt. They did a test on the show with 6 people in a 3 week course. Four out of 6 craved more sugar when given to them. The other two craved salt. I believe it is true!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    To the OP may be it could be finding another way to deal with stress/anxiety.

A lot of things we turn to in life are habit or routine and we have to stay out of our comfort zones, especially if they involve foods or things that we know are going to undo any good work we have done.

Change the habit/routine when you feel the urge for a biscuit/sugar etc (this is an extreme example) do 5 jumping jacks ( you can replace this with something different)

It may sound silly but it is a simple case of breaking a habit/routine

What is interesting is that jumping up and down is EXACTLY what researchers from Japan have discovered as causing a reduction in the "hunger hormone" ghrelin. The article detailing their research was published in the 2013 issue of the scientific journal, "Appetite". And here is another article that speaks to the issue of vigorous exercise reducing response to food. The research was conducted at Brigham Young University. http://www.livescience.com/23138-morning-workout-may-curb-appetite.html

And here is yet another article that reports on research being done on ghrelin and its affects on weight gain/loss. http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/1401-weight-loss-surgery-hormones-dieting-obesity.html
This discussion has been closed.