Is sugar addiction real?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP - since this thread is about you and your needs, my suggestion is to stay away from this subject and certain groups and members that are associated with it, and to focus instead on people who have been successful in transforming their lives. There is quite a bit of real support on here and a number of people who will push you to be your best. Learning to moderate your food intake is not always easy but it can be done. Eliminating sugar from your diet would eliminate fruit among other foods. This is one of many reasons I believe that equating sugar cravings with the likes of alcoholism and drug addiction is unfair, and that the solution that would naturally be proposed (the complete elimination of sugar from your diet), is not reasonable or sustainable.

Wrong on several points. I have been quite successful so far and continue to have success. I would stop short of saying that anything physical would ever "transform" my life, but I am enjoying better health than I have for a long time. What you define as "real support" is sarcastic and attempts to shame in some misguided notion of "pushing" someone to "be your best". I am VERY moderate in my food intake--if you would see my food diary (which is only available for viewing by MFP friends, you would see that. I am very specific to say that I have eliminated "sugary foods"--that is food with added sugar and fruit is part of MY daily diet---unlike another "sugar lover" here who will remain nameless. He published a list of foods that HE ate and even though Pop-Tarts and ice cream were there, there was NO fruit--and I pointed that out to him. :tongue:

To the contrary, my diet is quite sustainable and I have proved it by staying on it for over three years while my weight has slowly crept downward. You really don't have a leg to stand on here.

This thread is not about you. It is about the OP.

Um--I NEVER said it was about me. You were the one who sought to discredit what I was saying by focusing on me and my situation (ad hominem). I was merely giving what many here consider to be sound advice. Again, if you have nothing positive to contribute, perhaps it is best for you to refrain from commenting.

I will comment when I deem it appropriate, your constant diatribes about me attacking you notwithstanding. Let me remind you that disagreeing with you is not the same as attacking you. I will also point out that it was not I that commented to your post, but the other way around.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes it is.

My mother is addicted to sugar. She's learned to keep it out of the house. I've seen her go on crazy eating binges when I was younger... whole tins of Oreo's, brownies, Full cartons of ice cream...

She still has fruit, and more "natural" sugars. But she knows she can't just stop at one cookie. I apparently don't take after her, I can have 2 cookies and say ok, I'm done.

Yes, I think it is dependent on a number of factors. One factor is leptin-resistance. Most obese women are leptin-resistant and that is part of the picture of food addiction. Many obesity researchers feel that sugar consumption is at the heart of food addiction. What are the foods people binge on?---candy, cookies, ice cream, etc. I think the sugar-habit gets one used to the feeling of being "high" on sugar and then, when that person is not, he/she craves getting "high" again. It is very similar to alcohol addiction (in fact, sugar is processed in the body in ways that are very similar to the ways that alcohol and sugar alcohols--mannitol, zylitol, maltitol, etc. are.) What is interesting is that I have run into several recovering alcoholics over the years and often they will complain that they have replaced their alcohol habit with a sugar habit (and gained a lot of weight because of it). OR, they will say that they can't even eat or drink anything sweet, as it makes them crave alcohol--I knew one man who would not drink fruit juice or soda pop because of that. Interesting.

Here is a link to the proceedings from a conference on "food addiction" from several years ago. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

One of the presenters (Richard J. Johnson, M.D. Head of the Renal Division at the medical center at the University of Colorado) said that he and his team of researchers were able to create "metabolic syndrome" in a majority of normal weight men during a two week study, by giving them supplemental sweet drinks. They did give them a fairly large dose but normally, "metabolic syndrome" takes decades to produce and what was striking even to the researchers was that it only took TWO WEEKS in this case. Fortunately, the subjects of the study returned to normal after the testing period was over.

Fairly large, as in subjects were given an additional 200g of fructose daily, on top of their normal diet? lol
  • Acg67
    Options
    In for answers on the diagnostic criteria for "sugar addiction" and proof that doesn't involve rats

I don't understand what this comment means?

It means someone likes to argue......and YES, sugar addiction is real.......says about 98% of humans, not rats......seems you are once again outnumbered :laugh: :laugh:

So approx 7 billion people agree that sugar addiction is real? You'd think if that was the case there would be pretty clear and uniform diagnostic criteria for it. Does health insurance typically cover sugar addiction treatment or is there a premier rehab clinic for sugar addiction?
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    In for answers on the diagnostic criteria for "sugar addiction" and proof that doesn't involve rats

It means someone likes to argue......and YES, sugar addiction is real.......says about 98% of humans, not rats......seems you are once again outnumbered :laugh: :laugh:

So approx 7 billion people agree that sugar addiction is real? You'd think if that was the case there would be pretty clear and uniform diagnostic criteria for it. Does health insurance typically cover sugar addiction treatment or is there a premier rehab clinic for sugar addiction?

I realize you want to throw the burden of proof on others......but again I ask you, where's your proof? Since you are so opinionated on the subject......got anything to back it up other than your opinion? And the health insurance thing......there is a lot they don't cover, doesn't mean the person's health issue isn't real. :wink:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

health insurance doesnt call it sugar addiction. It calls it diabetes.
  • Acg67
    Options

I realize you want to throw the burden of proof on others......but again I ask you, where's your proof? Since you are so opinionated on the subject......got anything to back it up other than your opinion? And the health insurance thing......there is a lot they don't cover, doesn't mean the person's health issue isn't real. :wink:

The burden of proof is on the claim maker, so still awaiting you to present your evidence of it's existence. So far we've gotten anecdotal evidence and studies on rats.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    don't forget dr oz.
    Options

The burden of proof is on the claim maker, so still awaiting you to present your evidence of it's existence. So far we've gotten anecdotal evidence and studies on rats.

waiting.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........that's what I thought. :noway:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    oh, and bacon addiction.

(I hesitate to bring it up ... but, acg, I think you may be an ice cream addict.)
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes ! As bad an addiction as crack cocaine! Speaking from experience :sad:

Please tell me more about the last time your children went hungry because you spent all your money on cupcake frosting.

Yes, I am curious about this as well.

Simple answer... I am sure it is easier to afford a 5 pound bag of sugar compared to 5lbs of crack cocaine... unless we are talking about 5 pounds of cocaine weight less than 5 pounds of sugar...LOL
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Have you ever prostituted yourself to go buy a dime bag of Ores? If not then you are not even lose to addicted. Have you ever stolen from someone to go buy Sees candy? Sorry your not an addict.
    Options
    Have you ever prostituted yourself to go buy a dime bag of Ores?

yes :blushing: That settles it! I am an addict.....Yes!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Have you ever prostituted yourself to go buy a dime bag of Ores? If not then you are not even lose to addicted. Have you ever stolen from someone to go buy Sees candy? Sorry your not an addict.
    I stole from my husband's change canister last week to buy See's candy. He is now keeping it in the car. Guess I'm a see's *kitten*?! I'll blow him tonight for oreos.
    Options
    I stole from my husband's change canister last week to buy See's candy. He is now keeping it in the car. Guess I'm a see's *kitten*?! I'll blow him tonight for oreos.

:laugh: :laugh: :blushing:
  • Acg67
    Options

waiting.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........that's what I thought. :noway:

You'll have to please quote what claim you want substantiated.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    IDK, but theres' definitely something to it. When I used to do a low carb diet that required quitting sugar completely it wasn't easy. Then once "clean" off the sugar, it was like if I had too much in the form of a simple sugar like cookie, cake, whatnot, it started me craving sugary foods and carbs in general. So to my mind, it's some kind of a trigger for wanting more of itself, so unsure what to call it but an addiction sounds close. Although I know addiction is the topic of the day, and so I hesitate to say it since I know some people are up in arms about the misuse of the word.

For sure though too much sugar makes you want more. That I know.

I beilieve that sugar is addictive, moreover, add wheat to sugar and you're hooked! You can't stop eating...or I can't when I've combined them in the past...bowls of sweetened cereal, cookies, cakes, donuts...couldn't stop til they were all gone...and then I'd crave some more. I read Wheat Belly last December, and it clicked. I stopped eating grains (and also sugar) and I honestly don't want them at all...I don't even think about them anymore.
    Options

You'll have to please quote what claim you want substantiated.

As I said, so far I've only seen you post your opinion about sugar addiction but nothing to back it up. Just proof, plain and simple.......and per your self-imposed rules; no rats, please.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'll make no comment on 'sugar addiction', because it makes a mockery of real addiction.

But sugar is definitely 'more-ish'. I find that if I eat sugary snacks when I'm not hungry, they will actually make me feel hungry and want more. I can only assume it's generations of genetic programming, the body saying "hey, this is a great energy source, stock up before it goes away!"
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I beilieve that sugar is addictive, moreover, add wheat to sugar and you're hooked! You can't stop eating...or I can't when I've combined them in the past...bowls of sweetened cereal, cookies, cakes, donuts...couldn't stop til they were all gone...and then I'd crave some more. I read Wheat Belly last December, and it clicked. I stopped eating grains (and also sugar) and I honestly don't want them at all...I don't even think about them anymore.

Doesn't the fact that you could simply stop eating them fly in the face of them being truly addictive?

I think it's a rare crack addict that wakes up and says "this is bad for me" and quits cold turkey.

I think you are confusing tasty and 'more-ish' for addiction.
    Options
    IDK, but theres' definitely something to it. When I used to do a low carb diet that required quitting sugar completely it wasn't easy. Then once "clean" off the sugar, it was like if I had too much in the form of a simple sugar like cookie, cake, whatnot, it started me craving sugary foods and carbs in general. So to my mind, it's some kind of a trigger for wanting more of itself, so unsure what to call it but an addiction sounds close. Although I know addiction is the topic of the day, and so I hesitate to say it since I know some people are up in arms about the misuse of the word.

For sure though too much sugar makes you want more. That I know.

Congrats! I've been thinking about reading that too. I'm practicing 80/20 primal. I've done it before and felt so much better.
This discussion has been closed.