Replies

• Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The benefits I am hoping for when I am fit, strong and healthy:

- Can fight off bad guys on top of a moving train
    - Can out run zombies
    - Can conceal weapons inside an evening gown and still look hot
    - Can vault/leap/flip over all the obstacles in a construction site while making my get away
    - Can move quickly in high altitudes and cover mountainous terrain
    - Can deep water dive into secret caves
    - Can scale buildings/cliff faces/ancient monuments with less fear of falling to my death
    - Can bend, flex and contort into tiny spaces or around laser beams
    - Can slow my heart rate down to beat a lie detector

I will let you know how I go :D
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    ^ AHAHAHAHA!!!

I can climb hills faster on my bike, with less effort.
    When I sit down on the sofa, I no longer have to position my gut to be comfortable.
    Airplane seats are more comfortable.
    I can run again without putting too much strain on my joints.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Knowing I have something in my closet to wear to a party or a work function.
    Not having 5 different sizes of clothes in my closet.
    Being able to bend and not feel pregnant
    Walk up a flight of stairs without my heart beating out of my chest.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Personally, being thin-er is a side effect of being stronger and having more endurance.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I am already healthy and strong, but I want to be thin. It's very important for some of us to make that distinction so we're clear about our goals. I'm willing to give up strength for thinness.

There is a war on obesity, which means a war on fat people. Being fat is not a protected class because it's assumed to be a choice. Groups that attempt to preserve the health, rights, and dignity of fat people (Health At Any Size, Fat Acceptance Movement, etc) are generally considered jokes. My primary reason for losing weight is the rampant and growing discrimination against fat people. I don't need yet another reason to be discriminated against.

- Fat people are more likely to be fired, downsized, demoted. They are less likely to be hired even for jobs where physical appearance is irrelevant.

- Thin people are more likely to be promoted. A 10% salary increase for me just once in the next few years would equal an extra quarter million dollars between now and retirement. Now that I'm losing weight I can SEE the attitude of the people around me changing on a daily basis.

- At my office there is a literal tax on being fat. If you are thin you pay less in health insurance premiums.

- People associate good character traits with thinness and bad character traits with fatness. If you are fat, people assume you are lazy, slobby, and lack self-respect or self-worth.

- People (of all body weights) are literally disgusted by fat people.

If you need reasons to lose weight, go to any article about airline seat space and read the comments. That's what people think of you.

Also, the clothes :)
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I live in the country. The nearest town to me for shopping is a very poor area. Most of the women are hugely overweight and ill looking - even the teenage girls. The only queues you see outside shops are people waiting for fast food, chips and pies. I don't want to be like them. I was getting that way at 194lb. Now down to 160lb, but that's not safe enough - I want to be on the slim side.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Gosh I don't want to be thin... I want to be strong and healthy and have the sort of arms that people go..... NICE! I'm not into thin, I'm into toned and gorgeous and strong and healthy and being able to run really fast if I spot a snake or something :-)))
  • mtforrest07
    mtforrest07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Climbing stairs without feeling winded
    Playing with your kids with less effort
    Wearing clothes is not as much of a struggle
    Feeling an overall wellness knowing you're taking care of your body
    A thousand more reasons without the time to mention them all :smile:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I didn't go into this to be thin (needed a diet change for health and the weight started dropping), but let me just TELL you how flipping convenient it is:

1) More clothes to choose from.
    2) I fit in places better.
    3) No more concern trolling about being fat (The most circular of conversations.)
    4) No more finger wagging from health professionals based only on my size; they actually listen to me now!
    5) Sex is easier.

I am not happier or a better person. I'm just smaller.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    1. More energy
    2. Increased endurance
    3. Better clothing options
    4. More self confidence
    5. Better sleep
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For me? Lower my risk of cancer...
    Does body weight affect cancer risk?
    An estimated 1 out of every 3 cancer deaths in the United States is linked to excess body weight, poor nutrition, and/or physical inactivity. These factors are all related and may all contribute to cancer risk, but body weight seems to have the strongest evidence linking it to cancer. Excess body weight contributes to as many as 1 out of 5 of all cancer-related deaths. (continued on linked website)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    almc170 wrote: »
    I'm donating a kidney to my husband in two weeks. By taking care of my health, I'm able to do something that will improve his life.

Ok first you are awesome and I think this is a wonderful reason to be healthy - good luck to both of you!

Second if that is your cat in your profile pic it looks just like my first cat Floyd, so that makes you double awesome.

It makes my reason of wanting to be thin and healthy to help me get a new job (I have read that if the choice is between two otherwise equal candidates an employer is more likely to pick the one less likely to have a lot of health issues which could cause time off or insurance costs - not sure if that is true or not but might as well try to get an advantage) look kind of silly. But I seriously despise my job and work with some truly horrible women, and so losing weight hopefully will help me get a better job and also I know it makes them crazy because I am successful and they try and try and fail and fail (lots of yo-yo dieters). Plus the health benefits, feeling better about myself because I can get up the stairs and not be out of breath - that kind of stuff too.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Health
    Energy
    Looks

24458877.png
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The real issue is that there is nothing good about being fat. Unless you have a goal to look like Buddha or a Sumo Wrestler.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't know about anybody else, but for me personally, being thin (and fit) looks good and it feels good. And when I say thin, I don't mean scrawny, weak, or sickly - I mean lean, fit and healthy. Some people's bodies look better thinner and some people look better a little thicker. As long as you're fit and healthy it's all good.

Sometimes I see people mocking thin people in a manner similar to the way overweight people are often harassed, and it's a bit irritating. Being thin is nothing to be ashamed of - and it doesn't guarantee that you're weak or unhealthy, either, just as having a few extra pounds doesn't necessarily mean you are a lazy slob with a host of latent health problems. There isn't just one ideal body type. :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    being able to reach and clean your whole body without feeling that it's a chore.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Easier to outrun the zombies (or at least outrun your fat friends during the zombie apocalypse).

What if the zombie ran track in high school before becoming a zombie? What a you gonna do then smart guy???

That's where outrunning the fat friends comes in.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Better sex life
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Don't know about anybody else, but for me personally, being thin (and fit) looks good and it feels good. And when I say thin, I don't mean scrawny, weak, or sickly - I mean lean, fit and healthy. Some people's bodies look better thinner and some people look better a little thicker. As long as you're fit and healthy it's all good.

Sometimes I see people mocking thin people in a manner similar to the way overweight people are often harassed, and it's a bit irritating. Being thin is nothing to be ashamed of - and it doesn't guarantee that you're weak or unhealthy, either, just as having a few extra pounds doesn't necessarily mean you are a lazy slob with a host of latent health problems. There isn't just one ideal body type. :)

But.... you just did the same mocking. "Scrawny, weak, sickly"?