What are some good reasons to be thin?

Options

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Easier to outrun the zombies (or at least outrun your fat friends during the zombie apocalypse).

What if the zombie ran track in high school before becoming a zombie? What a you gonna do then smart guy???
    This made me laugh.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Cheaper clothes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It contributes to being healthier

You look better
    You feel better (Less aches and pains!)
    More energy
    Ability to do exercises you couldn't do before
    Cuter clothes
    Cuter bras
    Faster showers (and less soap required!)
    Less $ spent on groceries (you can eat less)
    You fit in places you didn't before (e.g. You can walk around the grocery cart in the checkout lane to empty it)
    Less hot on the summer! (but colder in winter, so trade-off)
    Less self-conscious at the pool
    Driving is easier and more comfortable (especially nice on long trips!)
    You fit into airplane seats
    You fit into rollercoaster seats, car seats, on toilet seats (you just fit everywhere you should)
    Clothes take up less room in washer and suitcase, saving time and money
    Strangers are nicer, more friendly
    You never have to worry about being the fattest one in the room
    No speech from the doctor about your weight (and no guilt about making yourself unhealthy)
    Gardening is easier
    Washing the floor on your knees is easier
    Tying your shoes isn't a production
    Pretty much EVERYTHING is easier when you don't have fat involved, in the way and slowing you down
    You feel sexier during sex
    Shopping is more fun (and can shop with thin friends, in the same store)
    More room under desks, can cross your legs
    Running up stairs is easier (and faster)
    You spend a million less minutes thinking and worrying about fat, which lets you think about other, better things - you're happier. :)

You're proud of yourself

You can be the thinner person who doesn't do mean things to fat people, like say, "Oh, I'm so fat!" to someone 2-3x bigger than you, talk about how gross fat is in front of them or give unsought advice.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Not getting upset while trying on clothes
    Having more confidence and secure about yourself
    Overall better health
    More stamina
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I want to sleep better. That is honestly about 95% of my motivation.The other 5% is not wanting to buy new clothes because I'm lazy
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd rather replace "thin" with healthy & strong... just saying. I don't want to be thin.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    As you get older, it's a lot easier to move around when you aren't overweight. So it keeps you young. I am assuming you mean "healthy" or "fit" as opposed to just "skinny" or "thin". I'm not sure why anyone would want to be thin or skinny. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as lean and fit. And it doesn't feel anywhere near as good either.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    I'd rather replace "thin" with healthy & strong... just saying. I don't want to be thin.
    Ahhh yes great point. Why the hell wasn't I even thinking like that when I posted?! I don't want to be thin either. I want to be fit, healthy and curvy.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    More clothing choices
    Cheaper clothing choices (plus size clothes are always more expensive)
    Better bathing suits
    Easier to buy bras
    Can shop in the juniors section if you need more selection
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    sex
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Health
    Comfort
    Vanity
    Because you want to
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    As you get older, it's a lot easier to move around when you aren't overweight. So it keeps you young. I am assuming you mean "healthy" or "fit" as opposed to just "skinny" or "thin". I'm not sure why anyone would want to be thin or skinny. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as lean and fit. And it doesn't feel anywhere near as good either.

Well I find when I'm at my fittest and healthiest, I'm thin. Or lean, if you prefer. I don't understand what's wrong with the word thin.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    kelly39014 wrote: »
    As opposed to being overweight just looking for some extra motivation!

As someone who has been overweight 75% of their life, I can say this with some measure of confidence. There *are* reasons to be 'thin'. But to an overweight person, 'thin' is what the rest of the world calls 'normal'. Most overweight people are not trying to become underweight. Me @ 150 lbs, in a size 12, is 'thin' to someone who is 300 lbs in a size 24.

What has becoming NORMAL done for me?

Yes, I've had a huge number of health benefits - my high cholesterol was completely resolved, my insulin resistance retreated, my periods became normal again (first time in over 20 years). I have blood work done annually (about 15 vials of blood at a time) to confirm that I am staying healthy.

But there are a lot of NSV's (non-scale victories) that go with it. I'm more confident that my body can handle random physical exertion. People invite me to do athletic things with them, without fear that I'm going to hold the rest of the group back. This includes things like rock-climbing, hiking, camping, ice-skating. I may not be any good at it, but I'm *included* now.

I learned to ride a motorcycle. I spontaneously ran upstairs without thinking. I can find clothes in almost any store, even a thrift shop, that don't cost an arm & a leg. I was on my way to the gym once, and realized I'd forgotten a shirt. It was cheaper for me to run by Plato's closet and grab a shirt out of the dollar bin than it was to spend the gas to drive home & get one I already owned.

I can sit in the middle seat on an airplane and not feel like I'm in a torture device. People who sit next to me are relieved to see me because they know they'll have room. People (both men & women) hold doors open for me. I can cross my legs - even twice (wrapping my foot around my ankle after my legs are crossed). This is especially nice when I'm cold. I am *comfortable* in 85-90 degree temps. I spent all summer outside by the pool with friends in a bathing suit.

I can walk around in high heels for several hours without too much discomfort. (They have to be good shoes, but still). I have *chair* on either side of me when I sit down. I'm willing to buy more expensive fitted clothing (like coats) because I will actually wear it year after year. Yet I spend less money on clothes overall because my wardrobe stays the same size year after year. The CIO of my company (a woman) complimented my style!

It has done *wonders* for my career. I am taken seriously now, and have doubled and almost tripled my income in the last five years! (I lost most of my weight 8-9 years ago). I have always been a rockstar at work, but I never got the support that I needed to move ahead until I reached a normal size. All because I fit in, because I look good. That's not health - that's appearance, and it *does* count.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    BZAH, I got there with a LOT of help, not just lifestyle changes. I have a team assigned to me including a Dietitian, a Physio therapist, a Psychologist, and a Surgeon. I had gastric bypass surgery this past summer, losing 40 lbs before surgery and now 40 lbs afterwards. Your mom is right to be concerned if she can do this on her own.

But, YOU still had to do the actual work! I really can't meddle too much when it comes to my mom. It just strikes me when I see examples like you who DID overcome so much, even though it took some assistance from others. The end result is a healthier you, and that's all that matters.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You can be thin and healthy and strong. Whoever that is in your profile pic looks pretty thin.
  • C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Avoiding death for as long as possible.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    "Yes, I've had a huge number of health benefits - my high cholesterol was completely resolved, my insulin resistance retreated, my periods became normal again (first time in over 20 years). I have blood work done annually (about 15 vials of blood at a time) to confirm that I am staying healthy."
    - Blackthorne99, your story is inspiring, too! Thanks for sharing. And, 15 vials of blood at once??? Faint. Literally. I fainted at the doctor's office one time when they took 3 vials. :(
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Well I find when I'm at my fittest and healthiest, I'm thin. Or lean, if you prefer. I don't understand what's wrong with the word thin.

There's nothing wrong with being thin if that's what's healthy for your body. I think most people were just saying that "thin" is incidental -- it shouldn't be the primary goal. "Fit" or "healthy" should be the primary goal.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the "healthy, not thin" group, but I guess the best reason I can think of would be:

Not having people assume that you're unhealthy because of your weight.

Oh, and not having people look down on you because of your weight.

Same book, different chapter.