What are some good reasons to be thin?

Options

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    BZAH, I got there with a LOT of help, not just lifestyle changes. I have a team assigned to me including a Dietitian, a Physio therapist, a Psychologist, and a Surgeon. I had gastric bypass surgery this past summer, losing 40 lbs before surgery and now 40 lbs afterwards. Your mom is right to be concerned if she can do this on her own.

We each do what works for us. I don't have a team assigned to me (since I didn't have bypass surgery) but I'm determined to lose over 100 pounds. Including what I lost prior to finding MFP, I'm close to 60 down right now. Losing another 50 will happen. That's what's so great about being able to use MFP, IMO, the tools are free and the process works!

I think her mom CAN do it on her own, if she has the right mindset.

55835802.png

• yuiconnor
    Options
    save money.. lol

Literally can wear the same pair of jeans from 2-4 years ago
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't to be thin. I am going for athleticism and maximizing strength, power, explosiveness, quickness, and speed. Cannot hit all those goals while being thin.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd rather replace "thin" with healthy & strong... just saying. I don't want to be thin.

You can be thin and healthy and strong. Whoever that is in your profile pic looks pretty thin.

I appreciate the compliment, but I am still 34lbs overweight for my height. ;)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

If you're basing that on BMI, you should know that it's notoriously inaccurate for anyone with a low body fat percentage.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Fitting comfortably in the seats on an airplane is as good of reason as any.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There are so many for being healthy not thin and just to make someone think or smile Skinny has one disadvantage when it comes to winter you are freezing compared to others. Not a reason to be obese but to stay in healthy range not thin or skinny
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

If you're basing that on BMI, you should know that it's notoriously inaccurate for anyone with a low body fat percentage.

Not really, especially for women.
  • segacs
    Options
    ucabucca wrote: »
    There are so many for being healthy not thin and just to make someone think or smile Skinny has one disadvantage when it comes to winter you are freezing compared to others. Not a reason to be obese but to stay in healthy range not thin or skinny

I've always hated the heat and loved the cold, even in my "thin" days. Besides, cold weather always has the option of adding more layers. Whereas hot weather, there's only so many layers you can take off.
  • marialoveu1
    Options
    no chubby rash between your thighs !!! major struggle for me :(
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Yup... I am quite sure I don't fit into the category of persons with low BF%.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ucabucca wrote: »

I don't understand why so many think thin means underweight.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Avoiding diabetes keeps me motivated. I really don't want to have to poke my fingers to check my blood sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I could care less about "thin"...but there are numerous...far to many benefits to list...numerous benefits to being healthy, strong, and fit.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For me I get sleep apnea if I weight too much and my family has a history of metabolic syndrome so those are good reasons for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    When your friends ask you to come rock climbing/hiking/cycling/skydiving with them, you never have to worry about being so out of shape you can't participate.
  • segacs
    Options
    Avoiding diabetes keeps me motivated. I really don't want to have to poke my fingers to check my blood sugar.

As a needle phobic, I'd agree with you. The incidence of Type 2 Diabetes among younger adults is alarming. I really don't want this to happen to me.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm donating a kidney to my husband in two weeks. By taking care of my health, I'm able to do something that will improve his life.
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like the replacing thin with healthy part.

For men extra belly fat can double hear attack risk. It just makes sense to be at a healthy weight.

For me a big part of losing my excess weight is for the purpose of athletic performance. 20 pounds will have a huge impact on my running times. Can't wait to run my next marathon 20 pounds down. Not only will I be faster but it will be so much better on my joints.

Confidence is a big factor as well. Seeing my gut disappear is a huge boost!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You fit in places you didn't before (e.g. You can walk around the grocery cart in the checkout lane to empty it)
    That was my first thought -- you can scooch into tight spots to get past people who are clogging up an aisle in a store. Particularly handy at this time of year as the Xmas shopping gets into gear.

Btw, "thin" is no guarantee of good sleep. :(