To cold to walk outside

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ? I have to assume that is Fahrenheit, which works out at minus 9 Celsius. Layer up, hat, scarf, gloves, good boots. I was walking in minus 31 Fahrenheit (windchill) when I came to Canada, and got too hot (except my face that is, which nearly cracked off).

I love walking in the cold. Rain? no, but cold weather? yep.

There is no such thing bas bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    But, I think that you're creating an excuse situation here that doesn't need to exist. You *can* exercise outside in winter.

I think she's doing the opposite: trying to find alternatives rather than making excuses for not exercising at all. I'm an outdoor runner and I don't want to run in the winter. I do other things. That's all she's asking for, is suggestions for "other things." But I 100% agree with you that there are a ton of choices for people who choose not to exercise outdoors when it's cold. Lots and lots right in this very thread, and many of them free! :)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing! But if you seriously dislike the cold (everyone has different cold tolerance) lots of great suggestions above (there are lots of people who do the mall walks here, keeps you moving and doesn't cost anything!)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I still say walk in the cold. Bundle up some. Also the body uses more calories to stay warm in cold weather, so that's a plus.
    That's my opinion too. Some nice base layer clothes to help keep warm, unless there's a medical reason not too.

The only thing that keeps me inside is -40C.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Canadian here, in the arctic city of Edmonton. It dropped to -20C last week (that's -4F). It just so happens I signed up to a running class for ten weeks at the same time, and I had just taken a thirty minute lesson on how to dress for the weather. I shopped at our local work world shop and bought T-Max full leg stockings, a wicking running shirt, a balaclava, and extra socks. I dress in layers, and a simple windbreaker goes over all. It was -5C last night and after my run I was stripping off layers I was so hot.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    I live in Chicago and I walk every day, including in the winter. Even last winter, with the extreme cold and snow, I only missed 5 days. I walk with a group every morning. We bundle up in layers. You'd be surprised how fun it actually is. We start off feeling cold and as we walk we start unbuttoning coats and removing layers -- we're quite warm at the end of the one hour walk.

What kind of shoes do you wear?! I'd love to get to walking/jogging outside too. I've got warm running bottoms, and a jacket, but my feet are getting cold.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Another Canadian here, in Montreal. And I love to walk in the winter, and our weather certainly gets MUCH colder than that. Sunshine, vitamin D, the cold winter air in my lungs... it's all good.

My biggest problem isn't the cold, since the right jacket, hat, scarf and gloves will take care of that just fine, but the icy sidewalks and roads. I wear winter boots with a good tread, but sometimes I think that the most appropriate footwear would be ice skates. :) I still manage, though.

Having said that, if you really can't stand to walk outside in winter, invest in a treadmill or join a gym. Or walk in shopping malls or other large indoor areas.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    DarbiB wrote: »
    I live in Chicago and I walk every day, including in the winter. Even last winter, with the extreme cold and snow, I only missed 5 days. I walk with a group every morning. We bundle up in layers. You'd be surprised how fun it actually is. We start off feeling cold and as we walk we start unbuttoning coats and removing layers -- we're quite warm at the end of the one hour walk.

What kind of shoes do you wear?! I'd love to get to walking/jogging outside too. I've got warm running bottoms, and a jacket, but my feet are getting cold.

If it's dry, I generally just wear my running shoes (with wool socks) as it gets colder. Once the snow starts I switch to water resistant hiking shoes or boots (which slows me down a bit). I also own a pair of YakTrax which I wear when it gets slippery.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Another Canadian here, in Montreal. And I love to walk in the winter, and our weather certainly gets MUCH colder than that. Sunshine, vitamin D, the cold winter air in my lungs... it's all good.

My biggest problem isn't the cold, since the right jacket, hat, scarf and gloves will take care of that just fine, but the icy sidewalks and roads. I wear winter boots with a good tread, but sometimes I think that the most appropriate footwear would be ice skates. :) I still manage, though.

Having said that, if you really can't stand to walk outside in winter, invest in a treadmill or join a gym. Or walk in shopping malls or other large indoor areas.

Check out Yaktrax. They clip onto the bottom of your shoes/boots and provide extra traction.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    15 degrees? Fahrenheit? -10 C? Uhhh that's GORGEOUS weather to walk outside in. -25 C is getting a bit cold to walk (if it's windy). Get a coat, gloves, and hat and suck it up. I walk outside in that weather all the time. In just normal runners. Pick up the pace if you really find it that bad. putting on a scarf and hood in addition to the other items will let you get to -35 C weather too.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My feet stay warm with wool hiking socks. I'm getting myself some ice cleats.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/review-ice-cleats
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing! But if you seriously dislike the cold (everyone has different cold tolerance) lots of great suggestions above (there are lots of people who do the mall walks here, keeps you moving and doesn't cost anything!)

I respectfully disagree.

• segacs
    Options
    Check out Yaktrax. They clip onto the bottom of your shoes/boots and provide extra traction.

Yeah, I had a pair for my old boots, but I found myself fussing with them too much. So I just bought boots with better treads. YMMV.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos? Jillian Michaels, Slim in Six, P90X, Turbo Jam, etc.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    RGV2, would you consider -20C, -4F with a wind chill to be "bad weather"?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just Walk, Walk at Home (older Walk Away the Pounds).....DVDs you can use to get your "walk" in.

YouTube has some older workouts you can test drive. But newer DVDs will have more audible music, are chaptered, may have a music only option.

Here's a link to a site that sells DVDs.....watch a few video clips (and read reviews) to get a better idea. These DVDs make exercise excuse proof for me. I can do them at night, when it's raining, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone

If you're not into Leslie....walking workouts are popular. Other instructors/videos to look for: Jessica Smith, Debbie Rocker, Prevention DVDs, George Foreman (Petra Kolber).
  • segacs
    Options
    There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing!

Yep, that's a popular saying among skiers. Besides, those -25C days tend to have fewer crowds.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Like you I just can't handle walking in the cold. I got about .5 miles in this morning and called it quits. Leslie Sansone does have some good walking videos - I have done them in the past but they really hurt my knees these days (more marching vs. walking movement). I plan on doing kettlebells, lots of yoga, and walking around the house.

Just really keep an eye on what goes in your mouth - and you'll be fine!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said bundle up and walk... I live in NY and last winter I was running even when the windchill was -20F. Invest in some good warm clothes (under armor cold gear is the bomb) and don't let the weather slow you down!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 60 pounds and my main exercise has been walking. Well with winter the temp is around 15 degrees and I just can not walk in that. When I started my weight loss I did not think about winter. My question is what can I do now to get the weight off and I can not afford to go to the gym. Ideas please please.

Cannot, or will not?
    I have cold and exercise induced asthma. I put on a jacket, and go out and enjoy that stuff. I hike and camp in the winter. I go out in my shorts in a snowstorm. I'm from Los Angeles.