The Issue Isn't Motivation, It's Obligation

13»

Replies

• yoovie wrote: »
    It's true, there are many people who do not honor all of their obligations, but EVERYONE honors at least one. My point is that the obligation to ourselves needs to be a higher priority.

Agreed.

All we can do is keep explaining it as people slowly get it and start to win. Hopefully most people figure it out on their own.

I figured it out when I kept skipping the gym in the morning or after work because I was "so tired" or [enter excuse here], but when a friend or family member needed me for something, or if I had to work late, then it was no problem. I was still just as tired, or maybe I didn't feel like it but I was obligated, so no questions asked.

So now I don't think of gym time or food prep as something I do when I feel like because it's convenient. It's something I have to do because I am obligated to take care of myself, no problem, no questions asked.

This makes sense. I tend to procrastinate because I don't feel like doing things, or I'm tired, or whatever. But if I have something my kids need, I do it anyway. I need to realize that my kids need me to be healthy. This is something my kids need, whether I'm tired or feel like it or not.

Thank you! Sometimes you need another perspective for things to click.