Random question.... How do people really not lose weight doing insanity?

Options
I first achieved over 100 pounds of weight loss with the help of insanity. Since then, i put some weight back on and have been reading these boards and others on the web with folks saying that they arent losing any weight. How is that possible aside from the obvious eating more than you are spending....

I am back on the program and am teaming it up with t25 on very busy days.... I am almost ten days in and the weight comes off at about the desired 2 pounds a week for me. I am just trying to figure it all out as to why it works for some and not others. I know on days that I combine the two workouts, i am well over 1k calories burned according to my polar.

Is it really as simple as the diet? Or are there underlying issues (IE metabolism, age response, etc)

Interested to see your thoughts.

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    They are most likely eating back what they burn.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Or some people don't have much to lose or don't try hard enough.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I went to the gym for years and lost no weight. I biked 15 miles a day summer of 2013 and gained weight. Why? I ate too much. Simple as that.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    They are most likely eating back what they burn.

and then some. I think most people overestimate the calories they burn, even with a HRM. I think eating back calories is super risky!

Intense exercise can also trigger an increase in appetite. It does for me! Personally, as much as I love working out HARD, I have better luck with a scaled back program when in weight loss mode.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Because weight is lost in the kitchen, not at the gym.

Working out while losing weight will help you tone and preserve lean muscle mass. It will allow you to eat more than you would have without the exercise. But in and of itself, it won't cause you to lose weight, You have to be eating at a calorie deficit for that.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I went to the gym for years and lost no weight. I biked 15 miles a day summer of 2013 and gained weight. Why? I ate too much. Simple as that.

/thread
  • patzane67
    patzane67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eating
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I first achieved over 100 pounds of weight loss with the help of insanity. Since then, i put some weight back on and have been reading these boards and others on the web with folks saying that they arent losing any weight. How is that possible aside from the obvious eating more than you are spending....

I am back on the program and am teaming it up with t25 on very busy days.... I am almost ten days in and the weight comes off at about the desired 2 pounds a week for me. I am just trying to figure it all out as to why it works for some and not others. I know on days that I combine the two workouts, i am well over 1k calories burned according to my polar.

Is it really as simple as the diet? Or are there underlying issues (IE metabolism, age response, etc)

They are eating more than they need.

It's really as simple as diet.
  • vallm13
    Options
    Hi guys, i have finished 1 month of insanity and shockingly, am heavier than when i started. People do say i look a bit leaner and i feel stronger. but obviously, considering how physically demanding insanity is, i was hoping to lose weight as well. I dont have any excuses, i must simply be eating more than i think i am, though it doesnt feel like it. I think i need to start weighing food portions because it is so easy to underestimate otherwise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    T doesn't matter what you do, if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    weighing out the broccoli for dinner with care... whilst roughly guessing the number of peanuts eaten at break?
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    not being honest about weighing measuring and tracking every thing that is eaten. I used to belong to the "broken cookies don't have any calories" team.
  • cfer667
    cfer667 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This question is phrased incredibly rudely. Please get off your high horse. It's ok to be proud and feel good about your accomplishments. But it's so easy to get off the wagon and fail. Please be respectful to others who are at different place than you.

It could be metabolism related. It could be genetics.

It could be they don't have the knowledge of how to eat or how much they're eating vs what they need. Not many people eat the same everyday so it's challenging to understand what's going wrong.

Like Vallm said, they could gain weight because they're getting more muscular (which is a good thing) but pay too much attention to the scale and get bummed out or frustrated and try something more drastic which has the reverse effect.

They could also have allergies and react differently to different foods and not understand that.

Many reasons. Everyone is in a different stage of health and fitness, and a different place in what they understand/know about themselves and their health.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cfer667 wrote: »
    This question is phrased incredibly rudely. Please get off your high horse. It's ok to be proud and feel good about your accomplishments. But it's so easy to get off the wagon and fail. Please be respectful to others who are at different place than you.

It could be metabolism related. It could be genetics.

It could be they don't have the knowledge of how to eat or how much they're eating vs what they need. Not many people eat the same everyday so it's challenging to understand what's going wrong.

Like Vallm said, they could gain weight because they're getting more muscular (which is a good thing) but pay too much attention to the scale and get bummed out or frustrated and try something more drastic which has the reverse effect.

They could also have allergies and react differently to different foods and not understand that.

Many reasons. Everyone is in a different stage of health and fitness, and a different place in what they understand/know about themselves and their health.

If it is metabolism or genetic related, it still comes down to consuming more calories than burned. Gaining appreciable muscle mass requires a combination of work and diet and is hard for women due to testosterone levels ... so gaining or losing weight once again comes down to calorie balance.

The one thing that caloric intake does not account for is fluid levels. Glycogen replenishment involves water retention ... sodium intake can alter water retention levels ... but that is water weight, not fat weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They might be drinking those Beachbody shakes. Those things can make you gain weight!!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I gained the first two or so weeks and then I lost the following weeks even with counting calories. Does that make me a failure? I lost less than 10lbs total but I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with. I was more concerned with inches.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How is that possible aside from the obvious eating more than you are spending....
    I think you answered your own question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Well, obviously they're eating too much. I can do a *kitten* ton of exercise and not lose weight...because I eat to maintenance.

You can't out-exercise your diet.
  • karen_grace67
    Options
    Not everyone has a resting caloric consumption that these programs assume given that person's weight, age, gender, activity. I used to ride a bike competitively - around 20 hours a week much of it at race pace. Because I was an endurance athlete, I worked for years to train my body to use fuel super efficiently - and I was very successful at it. I could ride 90 miles easily on a piece of toast.

I still ride around 200 miles a week, run some, and eat well, but about a year ago I plateaued about 10 pounds heavier than I'm comfortable with, and it's not budging. It's a complete aggravation. Although I wouldn't give up my years of competing.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Can be over eating or genetics metabolism to as for me I just started insanity on Monday this is my 3rd time I got diagnosed with hypo thyroid 2 yrs ago and reach 188 got insanity did full round got down to 165 I followed meal plan n yes did shakeology my husband got me the bundle that included shakes very nice of him anyways then last year I gave birth so did another round which I finished this January and went from 170 to 155 lbs didn't follow meal plan but did use some of the recipes had few cheats here n thee I stopped working out and using my thyroid led in August just because of testing we did every 6 weeks to see if I can go without meds turns out I can't since August I went from 155-185 which was my weight Sunday I am not following meal plan this time we shall see how it goes but as it turns out a lot can factor I always had good results n wen tho budget don't permits me to follow meal plan I believe I should be fine we shall see today I weighed myself I was 181 could be water weight gone who knows