Gym or Home Work- out?

Options
13»

Replies

• baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Home. Price is cheaper, no travel time, & you can't get Ebola!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Both. I use body weights, dumb bells, and do yoga at home. I walk at local parks, and use the weight circuit and cardio equipment at the gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I can imagine the travel time to West Africa can be a bit prohibitive :)

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like both. I go to the gym to lift weights or to run on the treadmill in bad weather. I workout at home when I'm short on time or doing a DVD to switch things up. Though, I'm currently doing T25 so unless I work out twice a day, I probably won't make it to the gym for a couple weeks.

Pros for gym - they have bigger and better equipment than what I have at home.
    Cons for gym - it's kind of far away from my home but if I go on the way home from work, it's manageable and it's a monthly fee.

Pros for home - I can wear whatever I want and don't worry about how sweaty I look or if sweat shows through my pants.
    Cons for home - it's a lot easier to find an excuse to not work out.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Gym.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Home. I either roll right out of bed, put on my gear/start my dvd player and go. Or once I get home, I can change and get it started and then shower and be ready in time for all of my fall tv faves.

An example of why I love working out at home was perfectly illustrated for me yesterday. I came home from work, did a quick 15-20 minute workout with my kettlebell and resistance band, and then I was right back out of the door to go to church. And once I got home, I ate, and then did a series of plank holds for about 10 minutes. I wouldn't have had time to get a workout in yesterday if I solely worked out at the gym (especially since I was too tired/lazy to wake up early enough to complete the run that I wanted to do).

However, I do enjoy doing classes. I've completed a few kettlebell classes, and I have now personally committed myself to going to 1 class a week. I like it because there is an instructor to make sure that I'm doing my form correctly, there are a lot more kettlebells at my disposal there, and there is always a new routine to do.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. But either is better than doing nothing.

29509743.png
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and loved it. Then I moved and the new gym came nowhere close to the beautiful old one, which had a swimming pool and sauna.

I built my own home gym with elliptical, spin bike, bench, weights, elastic bands, gym ball...and now I would not even dream of trying to find a new gym.

For me there are less distractions at home, no friends to chat to...I can watch my own movie or turn up the music without the need of head phones. No travel time and quite often I throw in a session inbetween other things that I would not have done if I needed to first get to a gym.
    Stef.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I do both but would choose home over public gym any day because well, people.
    hahah. exactly.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Home.

Outdoors, Squat Rack, Floor, Barbell, Dumbbells, Bands, Ball, Treadmill, DVDs by Cathe, Ilaria Montagnani, Rodney Yee, Shiva Rea.

Granted, these items are spread through three rooms in my house, so efficiency is not necessarily the name of the game.

FYI - Most studies show we get better workouts with free-weights than with machines.

I do most of my lifting from the floor or rack, and actually tossed my lifting bench. I have shoulder issues and appreciate the hard stop available with the floor that keeps me from hyper movements, such as with flys and chest presses.

Unless you are an Olympic or Power lifter, I see no reason for a gym membership. Considering my rack was free, I have saved a lot of money over the last 10 years by working out at home versus a membership. Even if the rack had cost money, I would still be ahead.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    v70t5m wrote: »
    Unless you are an Olympic or Power lifter, I see no reason for a gym membership. Considering my rack was free, I have saved a lot of money over the last 10 years by working out at home versus a membership. Even if the rack had cost money, I would still be ahead.

Or you live in an apartment... or a myriad of other reasons people have for gym memberships. :huh: :noway:
  • JourneyToWonderWoman
    Options
    Right now, I like the gym. Mainly because I live in an apartment, and the workout center there is terrible. I love having space and a variety of machines to work out with. Ideally, I would love to have an at home gym basement, but for the meantime, I enjoy my time at the gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I got neighbola at home from letting outsiders within the defensive perimeter.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love the gym as I have a lot of friends there, and with everyone else working out, it sort of motivates me to work harder or run faster.

But I always think about having a mini gym in my room all the time - I'm worried I wont be motivated though, and it will all just collect dust :neutral_face:

With it being colder now, I would love to workout in my room. But I have just spent £150 on new nike workout clothing for the gym... Ha :blush:
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Gym. Accountability and motivation. After you've been going for a while, people notice when you take a day off and they ask you what's going on. Where I am at, guys are in an undeclared competition for results. At home, it's too easy to skip a day or not be as intense - at the gym, there are people watching.
    -
    gym-o.gif