question about soup

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    OP what was the original request you went to the doctor with? Help with losing weight? Do you have any medical conditions which may require you to restrict certain things (ie sodium, carbs, dairy, etc)?

LOL at soups with water making the thyroid stop working being the quote of the week. I'm not sure - we have had some doozies this week. Baking Soda is Toxic... How many calories do you burn donating platelets... etc.

Seriously someone should do a David Letterman Top 10 Quotes of the Week from MFP Forums.

You forgot about skinny stealthing.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    OP what was the original request you went to the doctor with? Help with losing weight? Do you have any medical conditions which may require you to restrict certain things (ie sodium, carbs, dairy, etc)?

LOL at soups with water making the thyroid stop working being the quote of the week. I'm not sure - we have had some doozies this week. Baking Soda is Toxic... How many calories do you burn donating platelets... etc.

Seriously someone should do a David Letterman Top 10 Quotes of the Week from MFP Forums.

You forgot about skinny stealthing.

OMG how could I forget skinny stealthing... also "my liver is fabulous" is still my personal favorite this week and I don't even spend that much time on the forums

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just made a awesome potato and ham soup last night for dinner and tomorrow I am making a awesome vegetable soup. I am on a soup kick. I think you need to revaluate who you are seeing. Make sure that person has an actual degree and is a licensed dietian. So many times, "nutritionists" like to miss label themselves as a dietian when they in fact are not.
  • Kylandme
    Kylandme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    He even told me to eat nuts 8 almonds or 8 walnut up to 1 pm and this will be one of my meals every 3 hrs... I mean instead of a meal I take 8 almonds
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    soup you make yourself? awesome.

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

How does the processing "kill nutrition"? Please be specific.

I'm not a library. Do your own research.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Canning doesn't 'kill nutrition'. Neither does freezing or adding salt or preservatives. In some cases of processing like turning whole wheat into refined white flour, nutrition is removed and then re-added later by 'fortifying'. But canned soups are just canned soup.
    Kylandme wrote: »
    He even told me to eat nuts 8 almonds or 8 walnut up to 1 pm and this will be one of my meals every 3 hrs... I mean instead of a meal I take 8 almonds
    Well, if you HAVE TO eat every 3 hours, I could see 8 nuts being a 'meal'. Because that's a lot of meals.

Your 'dietician' sounds like a personal trainer. Did you find him at a gym? Did he give you workout advice?

• Kylandme
    Options
    no workouts... he just gives this diet
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    No I dont but he said soups with water will make the thyroid stop working

No… just no.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

You post it, you defend it. That's how it works around here.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I did the research as you said and you're 100% wrong. Next

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I REALLY hope this is a troll post and there isn't really a nutritionist being paid to tell people this stuff. I think this this claim is just as bad, if not worse, than the toxic baking soda chicken.
  • Kylandme
    Options
    im not a troll... i don't have time to waste
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Translated....

I don't know and have nothing to back it up.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    im not a troll... i don't have time to waste

Then why are you wasting time with a medical professional who is a quack?

Find a REGISTERED dietician.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    all soup is is exactly what your "nutritionist" is making you eat, except in water.... how does water--something we NEED--hurt you?

^ this. We roast or smoke a chicken a week and make ~ a gallon of stock with the carcass. Every week. I eat soup almost every day. However, I do avoid soups in restaurants. Partly because I think mine taste better ;-o but also because you have no idea what's going in the pot in the kitchen. It can be extraordinarily nutritious when you make it at home and deceptively caloric in a restaurant.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No I dont but he said soups with water will make the thyroid stop working

trust-me_-i_m-a-doctor.jpg

I love Grover!

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

So, you're not a library, but I'm pretty sure you're well stocked up on baseless assertions if we need any though eh?
  • Torontonius
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most commercial soup bases and sauces contain artificial meat-like flavors that mimic those we used to get from natural, gelatin-rich broth. These kinds of short cuts mean that consumers are shortchanged. When the homemade stocks were pushed out by the cheap substitutes, an important source of minerals disappeared from the American diet. The thickening effects of gelatin could be mimicked with emulsifiers, but, of course, the health benefits were lost. Gelatin is a very healthy thing to have in your diet. It helps you digest proteins properly and is supportive of digestive health overall.

Research on gelatin and natural broths came to an end in the 1950s when food companies discovered how to induce maillard reactions–the process of creating flavor compounds by mixing reduced sugars and amino acids under increased temperatures–and produce meat-like flavors in the laboratory. In a General Foods Company report issued in 1947, chemists predicted that almost all natural flavors would soon be chemically synthesized.15 Following the Second World War, American food companies discovered monosodium glutamate, a food ingredient the Japanese had invented in 1908 to enhance food flavors, including meat-like flavors. Humans actually have receptors on the tongue for glutamate—it is the protein in food that the human body recognizes as meat–but the glutamate in MSG has a different configuration, which cannot be assimilated properly by the body. Any protein can be hydrolyzed (broken down into its component amino acids) to produce a base containing MSG. When the industry learned how to synthesize the flavor of meat in the laboratory, using inexpensive proteins from grains and legumes, the door was opened to a flood of new products, including boullion cubes, dehydrated soup mixes, sauce mixes, TV dinners, and condiments with a meaty taste.

The fast food industry could not exist without MSG and artificial meat flavors, which beguile the consumer into eating bland and tasteless food. The sauces in many commercially processed foods contain MSG, water, thickeners, emulsifiers and caramel coloring. Your tongue is tricked into thinking that you are consuming something nutritious, when in fact it is getting nothing at all except some very toxic substances. Even dressings, Worcestershire sauce, rice mixes, flavored tofu, and many meat products have MSG in them. Almost all canned soups and stews contain MSG, and the “hydrolyzed protein” bases often contain MSG in very large amounts.

So-called homemade soups in most restaurants are usually made by mixing water with a powdered soup base made of hydrolyzed protein and artificial flavors, and then adding chopped vegetables and other ingredients. Even things like lobster bisque and fish sauces in most seafood restaurants are prepared using these powdered bases full of artificial flavors.

The industry even thinks it is too costly to just use a little onion and garlic for flavoring–they use artificial garlic and onion flavors instead. It’s all profit based with no thought for the health of the consumer.

Unfortunately, most of the processed vegetarian foods are loaded with these flavorings, as well. The list of ingredients in vegetarian hamburgers, hot dogs, bacon, baloney, etc., may include hydrolyzed protein and “natural” flavors, all sources of MSG. Soy foods are loaded with MSG.

Food manufacturers get around the labeling requirements by putting MSG in the spice mixes; if the mix is less than fifty percent MSG, they don’t have to indicate MSG on the label. You may have noticed that the phrase “No MSG” has actually disappeared. The industry doesn’t use it anymore because they found out that there was MSG in all the spice mixes; even Bragg’s amino acids had to take “No MSG” off the label.

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/dirty-secrets-of-the-food-processing-industry/

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most commercial soup bases and sauces contain artificial meat-like flavors that mimic those we used to get from natural, gelatin-rich broth...snip unattributed quote.
    You've snipped that from Weston A Price without attribution. Naughty, and an opinion piece. They discovered how to make flavours. How does this support your claim that it "strips the nutrition out"?

• Torontonius
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Most commercial soup bases and sauces contain artificial meat-like flavors that mimic those we used to get from natural, gelatin-rich broth...snip unattributed quote.
    You've snipped that from Weston A Price without attribution. Naughty, and an opinion piece. They discovered how to make flavours. How does this support your claim that it "strips the nutrition out"?

good point, I guess that was a non-sequitur - but relevant to the original question

as for "killing nutrients", cooking enhances certain nutrients' bioavailability (beta carotene and lycopene being two prominent examples) and diminishes others (B-complex, C and other water-soluble vitamins)

either way, anything you buy that's made in a factory will not be as nutritious as something you make yourself with fresh vegetables

i thought that was kind of obvious, but there's a contingent of users here who seem to do nothing more than post "where's the proof". I hope you are all atheists, otherwise you're huge hypocrites.