What changed, besides weight, after losing a lot of weight?

Options

Replies

• IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I ran my boobs off!

LMFAO. ^ That.

Things that changed for me after I lost 100 lbs:

-Lost a few 'friends'.
    -Gained a few friends.
    -My kids make healthier choices now.
    -I play with my kids instead of sitting on the park bench.
    -I let my husband chase me instead of chasing him out of insecurity.
    -I feel pretty.
    -I love exercising.
    -My weekends are spent doing fun stuff with my kids...usually outside.
    -I have 90% control over my cravings...60% of the time...all of the time. (Said Ron Burgandy.)
    -My obsession with food is almost gone...sorta.
    -I love shopping for clothes now.
    -It's easier to ignore the critics. (I've really never understood why people criticize others for losing weight and getting healthy. Seems really silly to badmouth someone trying to get healthy. "Don't get healthy and live for a long time! That's dumb!" Doesn't make any sense...but, whatever.)
    -My marriage went through a rocky period after the weight loss because I was coming to terms with how much better things seemed after the weight loss. I attributed my husband's happiness to aesthetics...but really it had more to do with my attitude. And, it was very hard coming to terms with the fact that I had gotten so out of control healthwise and I was SO fat...and I had done that to myself. I was not pretty...I looked terrible. And I treated everyone around me like *kitten*. Once I accepted those things my marriage changed a lot and I calmed down.
    -I have helped others lose weight and get fit. (I gave them advice on how I was successful...they took my advice and ran with it. They did their own hard work and I'm proud of all of them.)
    -I really 'found' myself...I know who I am now. I am ridiculous...and nerdy...and loud...and I love to laugh (cackle, really). I love making my kids laugh. I love dancing around like an idiot when I go for my runs and a good song comes on. Hell, I love dancing anywhere. I am HAPPY.

My life is completely different than it was two years ago. It is 110% better in almost every aspect.

-IndiaGuerita
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Aleishia22 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of losing weight and I already have friends telling me that they're not going to hang out with me anymore when I reach my goal because "I'll be too hot". They say it jokingly but I'm nervous that it may be true. Did anyone experience that? Am I going to lose friends because I'm not the " funny fat one" anymore?

Yep...you'll lose friends. But, you'll gain new friends. Better friends..friends that don't drag you down but lift you up. Friends that will give you pep talks and tell you to get back on track. Friends that have your back. Your fit-family.

They are way better than any person who will criticize you or make you feel bad for being healthy or losing weight.

-IndiaGuerita
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Everything is better. Better physical health, mental health, financial health, spiritual health, better mental cognition, I tolerate my job better, etc. I don't tolerate relationships with emotionally underdeveloped people anymore. Life is too short.

I enjoy my quiet confidence the most.

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    One thing that changed is that I feel much more confident in almost all aspects of my life. With family, friends, at work, and especially dating. (Which, coincidentally, I'm doing a LOT more of.)

I have more energy and just generally feel better.
    I crave exercise. I have a date tonight, so not going to the gym and find myself a little disappointed about that.
    I'm more positive emotionally and this time of year, that is a blessing.
    Since the cold snap we're enduring, I get cold easier and it's harder to stay warm. More layers.

I don't know if I've lost friends, but I am aware that some of my friends treat me differently. My sister resented my loss at first, but she's started back working out and watching what she's eating more closely. I like that because I love her.My mother isn't giving me passive aggressive grief over my weight for the first time in years.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    MaroneLotz wrote: »
    So, besides the number on the scale, what else changed for you?

Nothing.

• Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Everything... just about every aspect of my life changed!

My health and happiness improved, I look younger, I have energy, I can shop for clothes anywhere, I receive compliments on my appearance... OMG... I could go on and on, for me the list seems to be endless!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 265 pounds.

I feel like an utterly different person than the 419 pound man I started as.

I'd say the biggest outward change is the way I am treated by strangers. I was used to people giving me reactions from disapproval to outright contempt whenever I entered a room.

Now, I am just a background character--one of the crowd. I have disappeared. It's kind of weird, since I am still trying to get rid of the defensive chip on the shoulder I had when I was fat. I am now part of that "normal-sized-person" club that everyone else always was a member of.

People sit next to me on the bus and subway without a second thought. I am not obviously judged for every public meal I eat.

It's weird.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not done yet, but:

My shoe size - from an 8.5 to a 7
    I feel pretty sexy for the first time in I don't even know how long
    I'm stronger - so much stronger
    I have more energy
    I want ALL THE SEX
    I like looking in the mirror
    I like the way clothes fit me
    I like me (this could be the anti-depressants talking though ;) )
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm cold all the time now. I have saggy skin because I lost a lot. I've tried foods I never thought I would. I've tried diets I never thought I would try. I'm more aware of how I look and how I want others to see me. I still hate shopping for clothes though lol!
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not done yet, but:

I want ALL THE SEX

^^^^^ This. This too. It's WONDERFUL.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, I never lost a LOT of weight, so I wouldn't expect a drastic change in my overall life. But I lost enough to feel a difference and I've sculpted myself a bit through weight training. I looked pretty good before, but I look awesome now.

Secretly, I feel like a rock star. I have this sense of physical pride when I am in public - like I KNOW I look good. It's my little secret, though. I'm not a big show-off, it's basically internal. There's just a confident little smile on my face and it's easier to interact with people and be friendly.

But that's it. I've always had a good relationship with my spouse, so that hasn't changed.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I stand out even more now than I did before which is kool I guess
    I want more sex but now I get less .. only because of my loose skin insecurity
    I am cold all the damn time
    I fit back into my clothes from high school
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    MaroneLotz wrote: »
    So, besides the number on the scale, what else changed for you?

Nothing.

:'( But you've accomplished so much - far more than the vast majority of people who attempt serious weight loss!!! Where others quit the race before the end of the first mile, you're like a hard-core marathoner! (*)
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am only starting this, but I am so glad you all have had such great success. I love all the positive changes in your lives.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me is that food is not my enemy or something to be afraid of. I know I can eat and there are no bad foods, just food. Now that I don't demonize it I can control it. Also I've started to take a greater interest in my appearance overall. I've started wearing make up again and I feel better about myself and my life in general.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have lost 64lbs so far. I am a lot more active now, I have way more faith in myself, I enjoy clothes shopping again, I dont always feel like the fat girl in the room, I feel better physically and mentally, so a lot lol. As far as friends most of them are not active or really all that healthy, but they have all either supported me in my journey it just been quiet about it. I also feel I have opened up to new friends because I feel less insecure and because I am more open to trying new things. I recently went hiking with an old friend of mine. I never would have tried it before especially with someone I haven't seen in a while. I have noticed my anxiety is way better too, not gone but better. I went from being a stay at home mom that panicked over ordering food at a restaurant to being comfortable socializing at my new job and gym.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well... I became way more active. From 1k steps to 20k, started to jog on the treadmill without considering medieval torture and I enjoy my meals more than before (I spend more time tasting them than just swallowing); however, my social anxiety went to hell... can't go out without feeling observed (which is justified by the fact that every time I go out, at least one man shouts obscenities at me... and yes, I wear lots of clothes) so I barely leave the house at all now
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty more days than not.

I like dressing comfortable lately and don't feel as offensive doing so.

I put up with less -ish from people. I mean I don't think I put up with much before, not as much as when I was younger, but now I just feel even less inclined to put up with nonsense and disloyalty as I did before. I hated being patronized and now I feel like I can just throw people out who have that tone towards me. Prior I was in a confused state wondering how much of it was warranted and if there was really something I had to learn from this or that condescending person. Now I feel more confident and like "Yah, it's not me, it's you"...and I can exit that friendship faster and with less doubts.

Not having so much weight to lose as I did before makes this easier somehow, like I don't have to question how much of their tone toward me is due to how I look and a sincere effort to help me. Now I know who is just doing it to be a *kitten*.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My self confidence is through the roof. I also enjoy getting out on the trails which I never thought I would say. I can also see my muscles now which I am very pleased with.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I lost friends because losing weight made me confident enough to "come out" about my mental illnesses.

Random people are nicer, and those who wouldn't look twice at me in high school have asked me out, repeatedly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!