Any previous BodyMedia fans switch to jawbone up24?

Options
I've had the bodymedia fit core and really like it. I was really excited about the Core 2, but it looks like it's never coming out now that jawbone's bought bodymedia :/ I don't see how a wrist band can provide the accuracy that my core can, but I've been looking at the up24. Not sure what I think of it and can't find much online comparing its abilities to any bodymedia devices. Thought I'd see if anyone here has used both bodymedia devices and the newest jawbone. I, for one, remember running from jawbone when I was first searching for an activity tracker, before I chose bodymedia. The reviews for the old device were terrible and it didn't do half the stuff that my core does, but to be fair, that was years ago. Still, the up24 certainly doesn't seem like something I'd rather have than the Core 2 I feel I was promised -_- ...but does anyone have good things to say about it?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I want to know about this as well.. I am a current BMF Link user and I can see the Bodymedia is being phased out.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    With the issues syncing my Bodymedia now (grrr) I have been reading reviews online and thinking about switching to a different tracker too. I have the same thing, where I don't see how the others can be as accurate. I found this site that did reviews on them pc mag article, and it seems like the Fitbit One is the winner. It has a display too, which is a big deal to me.

On another site I found about accuracy (which is most important of course)

Researchers found that the BodyMedia FIT device was the most accurate and comparable to research models, with a 9.3-percent error rating. After that came the Fitbit Zip (10.1 percent), Fitbit One (10.4), Jawbone Up (12.2) Actigraph (12.6), Directlife (12.8), Nike Fuel Band (13.0), and Basis Band (23.5).
  • randomtai
    Options
    I do know that Jawbone uses the Bodymedia technology, I assume that is why they bought the company.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I want to know about this as well.. I am a current BMF Link user and I can see the Bodymedia is being phased out.

are you serious? why would they phase it out when it's the most accurate calorie tracker on the maket? unless they're gonna release a new one that is even more accurate? I don't want to switch from my bodymedia because it's dead on for my cal expenditure and that's the most important thing for me. I'll be really annoyed if they discontinue it and replace it with some sh1tty wristband with piss poor accuracy.
  • thechialynn
    thechialynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Jawbone UP 3 is supposed to have the bioimpedance sensors that Jawbone bought with Bodymedia. I think it'll be out later this year or early next year.
    http://www.wired.com/2014/11/jawbones-new-wearable-up3-ambitious-right-places/
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

are you serious? why would they phase it out when it's the most accurate calorie tracker on the maket? unless they're gonna release a new one that is even more accurate? I don't want to switch from my bodymedia because it's dead on for my cal expenditure and that's the most important thing for me. I'll be really annoyed if they discontinue it and replace it with some sh1tty wristband with piss poor accuracy.

Because a lot people don't like the visible armband. It never bothered me, and I like when people ask me about it, but I think things like FitBit that aren't visible have cause sales of the BodyMedia to drop.

• randomtai
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Because a lot people don't like the visible armband. It never bothered me, and I like when people ask me about it, but I think things like FitBit that aren't visible have cause sales of the BodyMedia to drop.

Sad when people prefer looks over function for something meant for function.
  • NiaCas
    NiaCas Posts: 6 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Sad when people prefer looks over function for something meant for function. [/quote]

Very true. I'm not interested in spending over $100 on something that looks "ok" and becomes more of a novelty as aesthetics allegedly increases. I just want the most accurate tool available that uses the best technology I can afford! Besides, I thought the Core 2 that was supposed to come out looked pretty cool lol AND it had the best of the core and the link put together. I think if bodymedia had just done away with the subscription requirement for their website, their sales would have increased. I don't even know if lack of money was why they left us, but I wish they'd come back :( ...or were at least bought by a better company lol
  • GreenPharmD
    GreenPharmD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought the UP24... sigh... what a waste of money. Absolutely no account for the intensity of how hard my body is working... I could walk 5 miles or run 5 miles and it just accounted for my steps. I went back to Bodymedia Link...now with the troubles syncing to MFP I'm very frustrated. I don't understand how Jawbone couldn't come up with something that the Bodymedia users are used to - something more accurate.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I bought the UP24... sigh... what a waste of money. Absolutely no account for the intensity of how hard my body is working... I could walk 5 miles or run 5 miles and it just accounted for my steps. I went back to Bodymedia Link...now with the troubles syncing to MFP I'm very frustrated. I don't understand how Jawbone couldn't come up with something that the Bodymedia users are used to - something more accurate.

Damn that is not promising at all. I am clinging to the hope my BMF does not break or anything.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Damn that is not promising at all. I am clinging to the hope my BMF does not break or anything.

My first one lasted 6 years. I bought another because I'm addicted to those numbers!

I've emailed the company a couple of times to tell them how much I like the product and that I don't want it to turn into a step-based tracker. BodyMedia products are the only ones that show my calorie burn from lifting, gardening, and yoga.

• randomtai
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

My first one lasted 6 years. I bought another because I'm addicted to those numbers!

I've emailed the company a couple of times to tell them how much I like the product and that I don't want it to turn into a step-based tracker. BodyMedia products are the only ones that show my calorie burn from lifting, gardening, and yoga.

Same here... let us know if you receive a reply to your email.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The Up3 is the marriage of Jawbone and BodyMedia tech. Because of the issues I've had which were documented in numerous emails, Jawbone has agreed to give my money back for my BodyMedia link. I only had it 6 months. I'm putting the money towards the Up3. It's going to suck being without a tracker for 6 more weeks though.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Any idea if they're going to continue the monthly fee with the Up3? I loved the data I got from my Fit band but didn't enjoy shelling out every month.
  • randomtai
    Options
    http://jawbone.com/store/buy/up3

This is the information they provided... I am not sure on how accurate it will be.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wow...This is so sad!! I just bought my BM core and I am in love with it already. It's been 2 days!! I can't believe they are being phased out, and not being replaced with an equivalent. This sucks!!! I don't even mind dishing out the money, heck I pay $8/month for netflix, $6/month for my health is nothing. Sad sad day...
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    brewinggirl_butskinnier Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm thinking about buying a backup to the link just in case it does crap out. You can still get them on amazon and ebay.

I doubt they'll stop supporting them with the interface because they'd lose a lot of monthly fees.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    Although looking at the Up3...it's water resistant to 10m. That could be cool.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Although looking at the Up3...it's water resistant to 10m. That could be cool.

I wish they would offer a trade in or something. :P
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit worried about the sketchy quality of Jawbone products, but I went ahead and pre-ordered the UP3. The water resistance was one of the bigger draws. Hopefully the Jawbone doesn't disappoint.