How much weight do you expect to gain by New Year?

Options

Replies

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to gain any; if I can eat nutritiously and enjoy an occasional treat in moderation the rest of the year, there is no reason for me to change anything I'm doing. My suggestion, instead of accepting that you will be derailed from your goal, challenge yourself to stay on track. Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    None! I don't know why people make such a big deal about gaining weight over the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas are only two days and only two meals, and the meals usually act as both lunch and dinner on those days. There may be a couple of other holiday parties here and there, but it really doesn't add up to that many meals.

People make a big deal because "the holidays" are not only two meals for many people. For me, the holidays last from Thanksgiving through New Year's. There are multiple holiday gatherings during that time, whether they are for work or family or friends. I'm not planning on gaining but I can see how it is difficult to turn down a lot of yummy food or eat only a little bit of it. We're all at different places in our journeys, some are good at that and some aren't and some may never be. So if it takes a person saying "I am going to limit my gain to 5 pounds" in order to make it through without gaining 15, then so be it. Good for that person for knowing him/herself that well.

• julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I anticipate a 6-9 pound loss by Jan 1. There is no way I am going to get derailed just because it's the holiday season!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    coruscatti wrote: »
    None! I don't know why people make such a big deal about gaining weight over the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas are only two days and only two meals, and the meals usually act as both lunch and dinner on those days. There may be a couple of other holiday parties here and there, but it really doesn't add up to that many meals.

People make a big deal because "the holidays" are not only two meals for many people. For me, the holidays last from Thanksgiving through New Year's. There are multiple holiday gatherings during that time, whether they are for work or family or friends. I'm not planning on gaining but I can see how it is difficult to turn down a lot of yummy food or eat only a little bit of it. We're all at different places in our journeys, some are good at that and some aren't and some may never be. So if it takes a person saying "I am going to limit my gain to 5 pounds" in order to make it through without gaining 15, then so be it. Good for that person for knowing him/herself that well.

I can't believe people flagged you for that post. Jeeze.

Yeah I agree with you, usually it's only 2-3 days, but this year it's going to be worse, just next week we're going to have family over a few times, then maybe again at Christmas, and there's always that Christmas Eve party we go to, and this year it's a 'breakfast food' theme, which is incredibly dangerous for me, then of course Christmas itself...

I mean, ideally, I'd love to lose my last 3 pounds, I just don't see that happening. Last year wasn't too bad because I had so much willpower, now a year later... not so much! So we'll see, hopefully I can limit the damage... but at least I still tend to be satisfied rather quickly (compared to 'before', I mean) and thankfully I don't drink LOL.
  • mpmagb1
    mpmagb1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Really hoping not to gain but instead lose up to 7 pounds between now and Christmas and maintain loss into the new year
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Absolutely none. There is no reason to gain weight just because it's the holiday season. That's just an excuse to eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a bit of a slow down the week of Christmas, but an overall loss for the holiday season. It's summer, so I tend to eat a lot of salads around this time and even Christmas day for us is Turkey, ham, prawns and salads - nothing really crazy calorie filled. The sweets I will have will be in moderation, largely because I have to fight the rest of the family for them LOL.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm trying to be realistic and at this rate I'm going to try to limit the weight gain to one or two pounds... I did great last year but this year my willpower has dwindled by quite a bit!

Anyone else?

I did well last year enjoying some of my favorite foods and drink by going on maintenance level over Christmas and New Years ( 4-5 days ) including my birthday and I did not gain a gram.....not even water weight.
    I plan to do the same this year.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't intend to gain anything during the holidays. I don't normally, so I don't see why I would this year. I'm on maintenance, so I have plenty of calories. If I want to eat more junk I'll plan a long hike or run to earn it. (*)

OP, you can always just go on maintenance during the holidays. That way you can enjoy more goodies but you won't undo any of the progress you've already made. You may not lose any during this time, but you won't gain, either...Just remember to go BACK to your deficit after the holidays, LOL! ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I don't intend to gain anything during the holidays. I don't normally, so I don't see why I would this year. I'm on maintenance, so I have plenty of calories. If I want to eat more junk I'll plan a long hike or run to earn it. (*)

OP, you can always just go on maintenance during the holidays. That way you can enjoy more goodies but you won't undo any of the progress you've already made. You may not lose any during this time, but you won't gain, either...Just remember to go BACK to your deficit after the holidays, LOL! ;)

Yeah that's the thing though, I've been mostly eating at maintenance anyway because I'm too hungry to keep a deficit half the time, and that's without all that yummy food in reach lol!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on gaining, but I expect my loss to stall.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    None. The scale may go up for a day, but in the end, none. I don't do much that's different during the holidays, except a bit more wine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a weight gaining cal goal right now. I'm still on a weight loss cal goal. So I expect to lose at a slower rate than usual but not by too much. Probably around 4-6 lbs or so.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    not a damn pound. i expect to lose another 15 by then if I'm being honest.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Lose 2lbs per week this holiday season! My fat weight is on special! Everything must go!!!!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to gain 30 lbs or so.
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I expect to lose 7 pounds
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Zero.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »
    I expect to lose 15 pounds by New Year's Day

!!! great attitude !!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not planning on gaining. I'm just planning to stay the same. My employer is having a "no gain holidays" challenge so I signed up for it. Crossing my fingers that I can win a gift card from it :)
    Contests like that help a lot, we have had some at the gym where you weigh in weekly and try to get to a certain goal Holidays or not... doing it as a group seems to really make a difference. It's as if it's individual but you're all in 'this together' type feel to it. :)