Yay or Nay on Fruit?

Options
13»

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm always tweaking my maintenance eating in hopes to beating the statistical odds of regaining.

And as I have incorporated more and more veggies, I've found myself eating less & less fruit. After some research, I'm contemplating if there is even a reason to consume fruit if I'm getting the comparable vitamins & nutrients from veggies but at a fraction of the calories, carbs, & sugar of fruit.

Thoughts?

I stick to macros so I have to eat fruit under severe moderation so I don't have all my carb allowances in one snack.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jeffd247 wrote: »
    "I got fat because I eat too many apples" said anyone who went over their calories for the day by eating too many apples every day.

FIFY
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yes! Some people do get fat eating fruit. It's obviously not JUST the fruit, same as it's not just the cake or whatever, but if you like to eat a lot, then they do contribute a significant amount of calories. A good-sized apple might be 100 calories. If you really eat a lot of fruit, then you might be having to allow 500 - 1000 calories for it. If you love fruit, and don't mind giving up other things to eat it, then that's fine. But the OP is asking about whether it's necessary to eat fruit if you're eating plenty of vegetables, and I'm not sure that it is. I like to eat a lot of vegetables, and I'm able to do that within my calorie allowance in a way that I couldn't with fruit. Some fruit is lower in calories, but if you don't particularly want something sweet, then I don't know if there's any reason to have to eat it - what is in fruit that you can't get from vegetables?
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I don't have a sweet tooth, really, so I pick more vegetables than fruit. That said, I try and get one a day at least. Vitamin C is a little harder to find in vegetables.

That is not entirely true. Red pepper (paprika) has way more vitamin C than an orange. 183,5mg per 100 gram in peppers compared to 53.2mg in citrus fruit aka oranges. Source: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have been on MFP since 3/12/12. I have lost over 160 pounds. I eat fruit everyday. All things in moderation. Stay within your calorie deficit. Eat less calories than you burn and most people lose weight. Weight gain is from eating more calories than you burn, not necessarily from fruit, unless that is all you eat, and you are eating more calories than you burn.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah but there's something to be said for debunking the "fruit is free" myth that gets built up by other diet programs like Weight Watchers. Fruit has calories. You can (and arguably, should) eat fruit as part of a healthy diet, but like anything else, if you eat too much overall, you will gain weight. The idea that some fruit is good therefore more fruit must be better is one that we sometimes need to get out of our minds. Fruit, like anything else, needs to fit into our calorie goal for the day.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Fruits are my favourite group of food and I typically have 5 or more servings a day. On the other hand, I don't like any other food high in sugar (like cake, biscuits, candy).

Fruit can't really be a bad choice in my opinion, but I don't think you necessarily "need" it. Just eat what feels right for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Red pepper (paprika) has way more vitamin C than an orange. 183,5mg per 100 gram in peppers compared to 53.2mg in citrus fruit aka oranges. Source: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

I do love my peppers, too!

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,001 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    You don't 'have' to eat fruit, but if you do, try to eat it before 1pm or so. Stick it in a shake for sweetness or in yogurt. I have about 2-3 cups a day of fruit max. I eat a lot of veggies myself.

The only part that you should follow is the bolded. Timing makes no difference as long as you brush your teeth well before going to bed, especially after eating fruit because of the acids and sugar and the potential effect on teeth.

Seriously though, fruit is yummy but not essential as long as you are getting the micronutrients and fiber from other foods.

58841349.png

Agree

But to add, please do NOT brush your teeth within half hour of eating anything, if you must eat a lump of cheese first
    Seriously??? :s
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need it, but I like fruit better than vegetables. Although, I find vegetables to be more filling than fruit which doesn't really fill me at all.