Options
13»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Swai, tilapia, farm raised catfish.

I like tuna and wild caught salmon but the cooking is much more important and its expensive.

Sturgeon is my all time favorite though. I dont think you can just go and buy it though. You gotta go catch it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    My favorite fish is frozen tilapia loins from Costco. I bake them in lemon juice and sprinkle cajun seasoning on them. I don't think they taste fishy at all. Fish like salmon and tuna have a stronger flavor and tend to taste fishy
    Ditto. The frozen tilapia at Costco has almost zero fish taste.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned barramundi filets. I have found that they not only are a mild-tasting white fish, but that they have almost twice the protein tilapia does. Those are my favorite. Along with salmon and tuna, of course.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Tilapia and orange roughy are both good options. I like baking them with paprika salt and pepper..and then adding a creamy shrimp sauce on top (melt butter, sautee garlic, add paprika, salt, pepper, flour, stir until smooth, add cream and stir until it thickens, then add the shrimp and cook until done)
  • sneely247
    sneely247 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salmon fan.....
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Haddock, cod, tilapia, turbot. If you can find it perfectly cooked, catfish. Trout is a really bland fish that might work for you. Make sure you season it well.

I don't have a recipe. I usually just buy the frozen fillets, thaw them, throw a spice blend on them and bake at 325F for 10-15 min. Depends on the thickness of the fillet.

The other option I like is buying the Atlantic Star crispy breaded filets and just following the directions. Dip in your favorite sauce. I like cocktail or tartar sauce, but YMMV.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm with Mitch16. My SO and I ate tilapia like it was going out of style until he came across a news story about how they are fed animal feces and are raised in outdoor pools in industrialized areas in China. So check your frozen bags of tilapia and think twice about it. All the ones we bought at our local Meijer (a store like a super-Walmart or Target) say Product of China. Um, no thanks!

Personally, I love rainbow trout, but can only find it fresh sometimes. I find the taste to be along the lines of a lighter, non-fishy salmon-type flavor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not big fish lovers in our household. I stick to cod, don't overcook it, and drizzle it with lemon juice after cooking.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe for salmon, although my favorite is still to sprinkle salmon with my garlic lemon dill grinder, salt and fresh ground pepper and then bake it.
    http://www.becel.ca/en/becel/heart-healthy-recipes/main-dishes/46178/becel-maple-mustard-salmon

When it comes to other types of fish, tilapia and orange roughy are my favorites. Haddock or cod aren't bad either but I find they rely too much on your seasoning for flavour.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents - Regardless of choice - I'd stick with domestic when possible...I personally buy fresh USA wild-caught when it comes to my scallops etc. There is a wealth of information on the internet and many things to consider - if you want to really educate yourself. Some fish you "think" is good for you is not necessarily the best choice. As a kid, I worked for 4 years at a fish store and still love my seafood...but I am very picky. Sometimes "fresh frozen" fish can even be fresher than "unfrozen" depending upon source, transportation etc. Happy eating.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Whiting filet, lightly dusted in flour and sauteed in butter. :D
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Tilapia or really most freshwater white fish are good. In general freshwater fish are milder than saltwater. But Tilapia is everywhere. Blue and channel catfish are also good (other ones taste like what they eat...mud).

As far as saltwater fish go, dolphin (gills not blowholes....restaurants call it mahi mahi), flounder, cod, haddock, and halibut are also really mild in flavor.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For eating out: My faves are Branzino prepared at the awesome chain restaurant Seasons 52 (they make it great!) // Also another great not-fishy fish is Chilean Sea Bass (but order only when your pockets are full of cash).
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I ended up making Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos (a recipe I found off of Myrecipes.com. It was good! :)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-tilapia-baja-tacos
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend tilapia- I find it quite fishy considering how bland it tastes, if that makes any sense. It's probably one of the most "blah" fishes there are. I would totally recommend salmon or even cod. Cod is also a cheaper, more "bland" fish, but the texture is good and the flavor is good. Salmon has much more flavor and a much meatier texture. Cod has to be baked-- well, does better in the oven than the pan or grill. Salmon is excellent in the pan or even better on the grill. I make the same marinade for both of them-- I just combine low sodium soy sauce with stevia and garlic and some cayenne pepper to taste and baste the fish with it as it is cooking (I don't soak it in the marinade, as the soy sauce makes the fish too salty that way). But I baste the fish with it while cooking and then use the leftover and pour on top. I used to use brown sugar instead of stevia, so if that fits into your diet, I would do it that way!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Halibut is my favourite. Expensive though so I don't have it often :(
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If any local high school / college has an AG program and the raise fish (ie we raised freshwater tilapia), ask for a student to filet some for you !
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I would say go the other way around and try eating some tastier fish like salmon. The bland ones like tilapia don't taste all that fishy, but they also don't taste like much.

I personally love to cook salmon with a bit of black pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice. If you add a bit of olive oil on the top and blacken it under the broiler, it tastes delicious.