Please share you SIMPLE home exercises....

Options
I have been doing cardio on my elliptical but want to start a little strength training. What simple at home exercises are you doing or recommend? Simple = able to do without equipment, not how much effort it takes. No pain no gain (or loss) right?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    go to fitnessblender.com and search for videos with no equipment. voila! They're all free and there are tons of them.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I will check it out.
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    push ups, burpees, squats and roll ups are what I like to do :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm with Alpine1994 - I like video instruction. More motivating than a list of exercises.

These websites sell DVDs .....description and video clips will tell you what equipment (if any is needed).

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/188.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=188&show=10&page=1

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/muscle-toning-exercise-videos

I like this no equipment needed DVD: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-body-training

See if your local library has some of these.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    check angry trainer fitness.com
    nerdfitness.com
    lovingfit.com
    bodyrock.tv or the now "dailyhiit.com" older body rock videos have less equipment
    or Zuzka Light on youtube.

Plenty of things available.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog and cleaning the house. For me those are both exhausting. The dog is not mine - belongs to a family member but I walk him in the morning and evening. He is very enthusiastic and loves to walk. Cleaning the house involves washing clothes as well. I live on the second floor and the washer and dryer are in the basement. So down two floors I must go. In the summertime, I bring the wet clothes upstairs and hang them on the line. These are just simple work outs. Don't go to the supermarket, that is even more cardio. I can spend 2 hours in the market - I know it seems excessive but by the time I get home, put food away - again I'm exhausted. Then I've got to get back up and cook.
    - So that is something simple when you can't get to they gym or can't afford one.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do a pretty intense isometric routine at home and love it. Wife just thinks it flexing in front of the mirror though. :smile:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    This NY Times article links to a paper by the American College of Sports Medicine.
    It's a series of simple body-weight exercises you can do anywhere.
    If you want a longer workout, repeat the cycle.

51637601.png
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I second the use of fitnessblender, but also- are you opposed to getting equipment? You said you want to do strength training, but without equipment, the most you can do is body weight exercises. At a certain point, you would hit a wall because you wouldn't be able to add more weight. You'd essentially be doing cardio at that point.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    Walking the dog and cleaning the house. For me those are both exhausting. The dog is not mine - belongs to a family member but I walk him in the morning and evening. He is very enthusiastic and loves to walk. Cleaning the house involves washing clothes as well. I live on the second floor and the washer and dryer are in the basement. So down two floors I must go. In the summertime, I bring the wet clothes upstairs and hang them on the line. These are just simple work outs. Don't go to the supermarket, that is even more cardio. I can spend 2 hours in the market - I know it seems excessive but by the time I get home, put food away - again I'm exhausted. Then I've got to get back up and cook.
    - So that is something simple when you can't get to they gym or can't afford one.

Those aren't really workouts- just things that need to get done- and sure they burn calories- but for someone trying to push past just living their daily life- you're going to need more than just cleaning and laundry. And while I do tend to consider walking a form of exercise- I wouldn't consider walking around a store shopping cardio. it's just not intense enough with all the stopping you have to do.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Some good books with bodyweight strength program:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

YAYOG also has a phone app that I've heard people like.

Bodyweight programs can seem a little complicated at first, because there are a lot of progressions to figure out. Just keep the book handy and refer to it often.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    http://neilarey.com/workouts.html

This is great site full of workout options.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves home program. Glute bridges, hip thrusts, squats, lunges, pushups.. etc etc :3
  • QueenKristine7
    Options
    I second the use of fitnessblender, but also- are you opposed to getting equipment? You said you want to do strength training, but without equipment, the most you can do is body weight exercises. At a certain point, you would hit a wall because you wouldn't be able to add more weight. You'd essentially be doing cardio at that point.

absolutely nothing wrong with body weight exercises. Check out this site:
    http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

absolutely nothing wrong with body weight exercises. Check out this site:
    http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

Bodyweight exercises are a great way to start strength training; no argument there. However, at a certain point, moving your own weight will no longer be a challenge and you will no longer progress. The best you can do is set yourself at a leveraged disadvantage (such as using only one limb, elevating your feet, _____ dip exercises, etc). However, even creating strategic disadvantages for yourself to build strength will rarely get you close to your one rep max, especially as you get stronger.

Try doing the same bodyweight routine for 1 year. Sure, you can add repetitions and variations, but eventually you'll need to add weight or else you won't get stronger.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I have been doing cardio on my elliptical but want to start a little strength training. What simple at home exercises are you doing or recommend? Simple = able to do without equipment, not how much effort it takes. No pain no gain (or loss) right?

pushups
    pullups
    dips
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am telling you frankly. I don't do any exercise in my home. I just find time to dance for 30 minutes or hardly one hour. This technique always keeps me fit throughout the day.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    go to fitnessblender.com and search for videos with no equipment. voila! They're all free and there are tons of them.

Ahh yes! Download their videos for personal use so you can do your workout anytime of the day. I actually started with Jillian Michaels. A healthy meal, exercise and additional sports are great if you want a fit lifestyle.
  • cierrashadows
    Options
    search youtube for hiit workouts! i did a 1000 calorie one a couple weeks ago that was intense!