Fashion when you're losing weight?

Options
All my clothes from before my weight loss are way to baggy to wear in public. I went shopping about two weeks ago and bought a few new sweaters and leggings so I would have something to wear. But now even those are getting to be too big on me. I feel like I should go out and buy new clothes but I'm still not at my goal weight so I don't want to waste money on a new wardrobe. Anyone else experience this? What did you do?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hoo, yes. Don't wait. Have a few things that fit. Spandex is my friend. How about second hand and consignment stores? I buy mix-and-match, colored t's, and neutral colored skirts and pants (grey and black). I punch up with colored tights and scarves.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I sell the good, more expensive stuff on eBay for a few bucks and then buy other stuff on eBay with the money. The rest gets donated.

I'm so tired of buying new clothes that I'm currently wearing 16s that are so very baggy because I don't want to buy anything new in 14.

But it's chilly at night now and I have no pants, so this plan may not work.

I'm so sick of buying clothes that are only worn a handful of times!

• Reader56
    Options
    Too bad we don't have a convenient way to clothes shop in each others closets!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores!
  • fiziksphreak
    fiziksphreak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could have some stuff taken in at a tailor. A lot of dry cleaners have tailors and it is pretty inexpensive.
  • This is such a good problem to have! Congratulations! I would suggest consignment stores as well. You need to be proud of your accomplishments and NOT hide it. I feel ya when it comes to buying clothes you'll only wear a few times. That being said - go for quantity, not quality! You don't need to spend the extra money for the clothes to last you awhile.. go cheap! Keep at it girl!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only bought clothes when they were falling off. For shirts I went from 1X to M, pretty much (but had to buy smaller stuff again this Fall). The thrift stores suck here but that's a good option! Typically I got things at Kohls when they had good sales and a 30% coupon.
  • CatalinaJoye
    CatalinaJoye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    a skinny person looks good in anything
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Ross
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wear a lot of loose cardigans and leggings for work (work with preschoolers). Seems I can wear smalls or my old mediums when it comes to sweaters. Leggings were always medium...Now you just can't see through them anymore :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Reader56 wrote: »
    Too bad we don't have a convenient way to clothes shop in each others closets!

Word.

Like everyone else has said, thrift/consignment stores, clearance racks, and stretchy clothes are your friends. And definitely punch it up with pretty scarves, statement jewelry, etc so that you won't feel so sloppy.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I was wondering if puffer coats could be taken in or is that just silly? Anyone know?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Anything can be taken in, but the more layers of fabric they have the more difficult it is to do.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't have the money right now to alter stuff, but I've always been good at hand sewing. Went on pinterest and found some great altering tips. Not going to do a suit, but I feel good about skirts and dresses. And maybe a sweater or two! :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I don't have the money right now to alter stuff, but I've always been good at hand sewing. Went on pinterest and found some great altering tips. Not going to do a suit, but I feel good about skirts and dresses. And maybe a sweater or two! :smile:

Do you do it by hand or have a sewing machine?
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ross, Target and Marshall's are all less expensive. Check out consignment shops near you. You can bring in your baggy stuff and pick up some things that fit.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I go to the Goodwill, a lot. 'Cause the one I go to, Target donates all their new stuff that didn't sell. So basically, you can get brand new stuff, for mega cheap. And then it's not a huge deal if you lose some weight & it doesn't completely fit.
    Lately though I've been into leggings, mostly 'cause I gained a little. But I have to say, I'll probably be sad if I lose some weight & they don't fit lol.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you bought it, some stores offer free alterations on the products they sell. Of course, it tends to be the more expensive clothes that fall in that category, but it's something to consider.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is my new best shopping stop. $4 a shirt and $4.50 for pants or skirts. Now that I'm smaller I'm finding a lot of really cute stuff there and I love a good shopping spree for under $30!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I frequent Goodwill a lot. Once a week for 30 minutes I can usually come out with a few pieces for cheap, week after week that adds up to a cheap wardrobe. I do buy a few things from ebay, and I shop clearance. Got a couple of cheap shirts from Old Navy Clearance for less than $1 each.