Fashion when you're losing weight?

Options

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    rosehips60 wrote: »
    Goodwill is my new best shopping stop. $4 a shirt and $4.50 for pants or skirts. Now that I'm smaller I'm finding a lot of really cute stuff there and I love a good shopping spree for under $30!

This.. Our Goodwill also offers 50% on the first Sat of every month.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I frequent Goodwill a lot. Once a week for 30 minutes I can usually come out with a few pieces for cheap, week after week that adds up to a cheap wardrobe. I do buy a few things from ebay, and I shop clearance. Got a couple of cheap shirts from Old Navy Clearance for less than $1 each.

How do you buy a shirt for less than a dollar at the actual store?! I never go in there because it does not appeal to me but I might start. My co-worker got some decent looking cardigans for 12 bucks.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I've run into the same problem more and more in the last couple weeks, especially with the scrub tops I have to wear for work. I've shopped the local thrift stores for clothes more in the last 5 months than I have in the last 5 years. Personally, I'm waiting until I hit my goal weight before I buy a completely new wardrobe (jeans, t-shirts, etc.) - 'XS' scrub tops are already a pain to find at the thrift stores, vanity-sized or not.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I frequent Goodwill a lot. Once a week for 30 minutes I can usually come out with a few pieces for cheap, week after week that adds up to a cheap wardrobe. I do buy a few things from ebay, and I shop clearance. Got a couple of cheap shirts from Old Navy Clearance for less than $1 each.

How do you buy a shirt for less than a dollar at the actual store?! I never go in there because it does not appeal to me but I might start. My co-worker got some decent looking cardigans for 12 bucks.

Old Navy Clearance, it was marked down for a few dollars, then they had a 70% off the already discounted clearance price. I picked up two shirts for $.70 each (plus tax), got some running shorts for around $3 too. Yeah, they are pretty cheaply made, but I don't need them to last long, I just need something taht fits me!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Old Navy Clearance, it was marked down for a few dollars, then they had a 70% off the already discounted clearance price. I picked up two shirts for $.70 each (plus tax), got some running shorts for around $3 too. Yeah, they are pretty cheaply made, but I don't need them to last long, I just need something taht fits me!

For real. For .70 cents each they could last me 2 days and I wouldn't care. I'll stop in. I dress very casual for work because I'm working with pre-schoolers. Just need cardigans and leggings.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I got a shirt for $.99 at Wal-Mart last year. It was tax-free weekend, so it really was less than a buck! :)

Wore it four times before it was too big.
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i have found pages on facebook that r for sale or free in the local area and i have put up my old things thats r too big for free or sale. then i look around or even ask (iso) if anyone has what i need for cheap or free.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I use a tailor to get more expensive items, like winter coats and the suits I need for work, altered.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    All my clothes from before my weight loss are way to baggy to wear in public. I went shopping about two weeks ago and bought a few new sweaters and leggings so I would have something to wear. But now even those are getting to be too big on me. I feel like I should go out and buy new clothes but I'm still not at my goal weight so I don't want to waste money on a new wardrobe. Anyone else experience this? What did you do?

Thrift stores, thrift stores, thrift stores! Not only are they cheaper than buying a lot of new articles of clothing at mall stores & outlets, but you can find clothes at times that are hardly worn or new with tags. I'm still shopping at thrift stores, eBay, & the stores I listed below for good deals.

TJMAXX, Marshalls, & Ross also have some great deals on clothing (they also have a pretty nice selection of fitness wear too).

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have this problem too! But isn't it also a great problem to have?

It's been said but thrift stores. It's seriously a great option for something that you know you'll only wear a few times.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yay for smaller clothes, Great job! Try the goodwill until you're down to a point that warrants a shopping spree.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Ross, Target, Walmart or thrift stores are your friend. Buy the minimal amount you can get by with. Choose basics (both in style and color) that will go with everything. Also, I try to buy clothes that are a little tighter than I would normally like to wear and wear them until they are a little looser than I would normally like to wear. It buys me a little bit of time. It's frustrating to constantly be shrinking out of clothes...but it's the best frustration I've ever been through! Enjoy the process!
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    All the clothes I own were bought when I was 20lbs heavier. I'm quite happy wearing baggy clothes until I hit my goal weight. However I start a new job on December 1st and actually have to dress properly (well smart casual, have no idea what that means though) so will have to buy a wardrobe for that (I can literally wear what I want to my current job).
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have it easy, im a jeans, tank top and hooded sweatshirt gal. I own 1 dress and i wear it no matter what my weight is, just put a pretty sweater or shrug on with it so i can hide that it's either too big or too small.

When i did have to wear nice clothes every day i had a bunch of wrap around skirts that were DIY and then i only had to worry about the tops fitting. Wrap arounds can be very adjustable depending on how they are made.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Ross, Target, Walmart or thrift stores are your friend. Buy the minimal amount you can get by with. Choose basics (both in style and color) that will go with everything. Also, I try to buy clothes that are a little tighter than I would normally like to wear and wear them until they are a little looser than I would normally like to wear. It buys me a little bit of time. It's frustrating to constantly be shrinking out of clothes...but it's the best frustration I've ever been through! Enjoy the process!

This is what I do. I also rely on stretchy but flowy fabrics like jersey in simple shapes which look fine tight or loose. I've lost over 20lbs and not had to replace any clothes yet. Although I did just buy new jeans in a size down. I could have worn the current ones longer as they're not that loose but that is purely vanity/motivation of moving down a size in something.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Aside from the good advice about using thrift stores/Goodwill, stick to classic/basic pants. Nobody will know if you wear the same pair of black pants 2-3x per week. Invest in accessories that will last no matter what your weight is. With enough scarves, belts and necklaces I can dress up or down just about anything. Cardigans are also great- they fit a wide range of sizes. Buy smaller- they still look cute, and they'll fit for a long time. I'm still wearing every cardigan I bought when I was 50lbs heavier. Maxi skirts can be worn like 10 different ways- there's a page out there if you google it. If it gets big on the waist, move up to a strapless style dress, use a large belt, add cardigan.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Goodwill. I go to my favorite one every weekend and dig through the rack to find nice articles of clothing. Half my work clothes are now Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, something that I never had before I lost weight. And then when they get to be too big, into a box they go, back to Goodwill to be donated, for a nice tax deduction.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying a bunch of new (not thrift) clothes in the middle of my loss, thinking I wouldn't get that much smaller with another 10 lbs or so to go. [Note - I frequent TJ Maxx and clearance sections. I almost never pay full price for clothing to begin with.] I was so excited to finally be a smaller size that I got carried away. This was last summer/fall, now I have all these pants and shorts from a year ago that are too baggy because I dropped another size.

Everyone's advice is spot on, Goodwill is a great choice for transition clothing. Stretchy clothing is also a good choice. It never really occurred to me that I could be this size, so keep in mind as you drop fat and gain muscle you might become a size you don't expect.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I use a group on Facebook called "Fattoo" (this group is for plus sizes, so it may not be for you, but you get the gist). I sell my old clothes on this site, get paid via paypal, then ship. Then I use my paypal money and buy smaller items! Granted, this is not a SUPER cheap way to do things, but I am a fashion lover and this site is a great way to get name brand items in my size for much cheaper than buying them new.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had this problem at one time I went from a 12-14 to a 6 so everything went. I still had some stuff at my moms that was smaller so I had that stuff, my friend gave me some of her stuff she would be donating anyway as she was about the size I was at the time. I also bought some stuff a bit at a time. I had my more expensive items taken in like suits and dresses for a reasonable price. Now I am having the opposite problem as i've gained some weight but I am hoping to lose it again so I'm not getting rid of stuff. I am buying the basics and wearing dresses and tights as some of the ones I have are styles that fit me at different sizes. There are some great second hand shops which is where I went as I was losing weight the first time so I didn't spend to much.