Wondering if this is okay to eat every day....

Options
I am one of those people who prefers to eat the same thing every day more or less so I am hitting my macros, but I want to make sure that I am getting enough nutrients. Does anyone see any major problems with what I'm eating or have any advice?

I am trying to hit 1400 cals, 140 g carbs, 31 g fat, 140 g protein, and 34 g fiber
This totals up to 1395 cals, 132 g carbs, 35 g fat, 141 g protein, and 43 g fiber

Breakfast
Vanilla Chai Tea
Two White Corn Tortillas
1 egg
3 egg whites
Tiny handful of spinach when I have it (not included in calorie count)

Snack
Light String Cheese
Apple

Lunch/Second Snack
Sugar Free Jello Cup
Bear Naked Granola

Post Workout
1 quest bar
2 scoops of GNC protein shake

Dinner
1 medium sweet potato
2/3 cup of sweet peas
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast baked

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing almost every day, at least for a couple weeks straight. I just prepare it a little differently.

The only thing I'd say is...a Quest bar and TWO scoops of protein seems excessive. Even if you need to hit your protein macro, two scoops of protein is like 200 calories. Why not eat some more food for lunch or dinner?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Buy vitamins
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    not a lot of nutrients in white corn tortillas. you would be far better off to replace those carb calories with a variety of fresh vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cucumber, celery etc.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    The only thing I'd say is...a Quest bar and TWO scoops of protein seems excessive. Even if you need to hit your protein macro, two scoops of protein is like 200 calories. Why not eat some more food for lunch or dinner?
    Good idea! I may switch to just one scoop and add some more food in at lunch.

• Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you need so much protein (I think a normal protein intake for adult women is somewhere between 40-50 g/day and you are aiming for 140g).... a serving of most meats is 3-4 ounces - chicken is 3 oz. You have 8 at dinner (2.5 servings), plus protein mix (2 servings), plus your quest bar (which I believe is fortified with protein), your cheese stick, and some egg whites (which contain some protein).

Are you doing some serious weight lifting and trying to bulk? That or a Dr recommended high protein diet would be the only reason I would think you need this much protein. If not, I would consider a little more fiber in your day and a bit less protein. You only have 1 fruit and 2 starchy (sugary) vegetables in your daily. The recommended is 5 servings of fruits and veggies. You could add maybe a serving of greens (salad) at lunch - put your cheese on top- and a less starchy veggie at dinner (green beans or broccoli) to round this out a bit.

I know lots of people who eat the same things, give or take, every day and they are quite happy that way. I would be bored out of my skull.

Happy eating!!!

• arditarose
    Options
    Lelah77 wrote: »
    I wonder if you need so much protein (I think a normal protein intake for adult women is somewhere between 40-50 g/day and you are aiming for 140g).... a serving of most meats is 3-4 ounces - chicken is 3 oz. You have 8 at dinner (2.5 servings), plus protein mix (2 servings), plus your quest bar (which I believe is fortified with protein), your cheese stick, and some egg whites (which contain some protein).

Are you doing some serious weight lifting and trying to bulk? That or a Dr recommended high protein diet would be the only reason I would think you need this much protein. If not, I would consider a little more fiber in your day and a bit less protein. You only have 1 fruit and 2 starchy (sugary) vegetables in your daily. The recommended is 5 servings of fruits and veggies. You could add maybe a serving of greens (salad) at lunch - put your cheese on top- and a less starchy veggie at dinner (green beans or broccoli) to round this out a bit.

I know lots of people who eat the same things, give or take, every day and they are quite happy that way. I would be bored out of my skull.

Happy eating!!!

Yeah, OP what are your stats? I didn't say anything because 140 is my high goal and I thought maybe you could be heavier than me and were lifting. If you are, then 140 isn't unheard of.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am lifting and trying to gain muscle. My goal was originally less but I'm working with a trainer and nutritionist and these are the macros she wanted me on. But if it doesnt work out she is going to change it up a bit. I was originally only eating about 80 g of protein a day.

But I do agree with your veggie comment. I will scratch the peas, add another veggie, and maybe add in some more veggies with lunch when I switch to the one scoop of powder. I also snack on baby carrots sometimes, but I didnt mention that here.

Thanks for the advice guys, its helping!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I am lifting and trying to gain muscle. My goal was originally less but I'm working with a trainer and nutritionist and these are the macros she wanted me on. But if it doesnt work out she is going to change it up a bit. I was originally only eating about 80 g of protein a day.

But I do agree with your veggie comment. I will scratch the peas, add another veggie, and maybe add in some more veggies with lunch when I switch to the one scoop of powder. I also snack on baby carrots sometimes, but I didnt mention that here.

Thanks for the advice guys, its helping!

You mean you are trying to retain muscle and lose fat? You're on a deficit, so I will assume so. Anyway, nothing wrong with shooting for high protein especially if you weigh 150 +, 140 grams and lifting heavy..sure
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you need so much protein (I think a normal protein intake for adult women is somewhere between 40-50 g/day and you are aiming for 140g

40 - 50g of protein a day is not NEARLY enough. If you wanted to cut back on anything, you'd be better off cutting back the carbs.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    you have to be careful eating too much protein can be hard on your kidneys. I'd add some salad greens too and other low cal, low carb veggies like heaps of spinach, broccoli and such. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The peas look good. I could eat that dinner everyday. The whole menu actually. There's not a lot of foods I can say that about. I would just eat it for a long time and if you get bored then change something at that time.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    you have to be careful eating too much protein can be hard on your kidneys. I'd add some salad greens too and other low cal, low carb veggies like heaps of spinach, broccoli and such. :)

Unless OP has a medical condition, you'd have to be eating like 300g worth of protein a day to cause damage. It's generally recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein, so while yes her consumption is quite high, it isn't a crazy high amount.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »

Unless OP has a medical condition, you'd have to be eating like 300g worth of protein a day to cause damage. It's generally recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein, so while yes her consumption is quite high, it isn't a crazy high amount.

This is what I wanted to say too.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Happy eating!!!

Huh? Women can't get bulky.

• arditarose
    Options

Happy eating!!!

Huh? Women can't get bulky.

Poster was asking if she was trying to bulk. But, obviously the OP is not considering she already stated she's eating 1400 calories.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You may be reaching your calorie goal but what about nutrition? Sugar free products are not good for you at all, so get ride of the jello. Choose between the quest or granola. Eat more fruits and veggies.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You may be reaching your calorie goal but what about nutrition? Sugar free products are not good for you at all, so get ride of the jello. Choose between the quest or granola. Eat more fruits and veggies.

Or you could eat as much jello as you want. Or eat it every other day or every three days. Personally, granola gets in the way of all the meat and chocolate I want to eat, but to each his own.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    man i havent' had good granola in a long time. i like the kind at restaurants when they make it fresh. i should just make some. the weather's right for it...
  • arditarose
    Options
    man i havent' had good granola in a long time. i like the kind at restaurants when they make it fresh. i should just make some. the weather's right for it...

Yeah, it's wonderful. I just tend to smash a handful of it in my mouth like every time I pass the kitchen and before you know it, I've eaten a bag in no time.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The peas contain more calories/carbs than many other green veggies and aren't nutrient dense. I'd suggest swapping those out with something more nutritionally balanced. Peas and corn are mostly just empty carbs. Broccoli would be good, or any sort of colorful veggie blend.