Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

"Rest Day"

2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I make sure to do at least one true rest day per week. The other days I'm either doing light cardio (mostly walking) or PT exercises (stretching and such).
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    on rest days, I usually stalk my enemies... and then scheme.

+1. Brilliant. I should start doing this.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Good question. I was wondering this myself. I'm starting the SL5x5 and feel like I should be doing something those other days. I've been told that weight training actually makes things like running a lot easier. Might have to see for myself!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    cardio or yoga. Although sometimes, I just sleep instead.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    I do stuff that I like and call them active rest days, but I have a lot of weight to lose so I think it's needed. I do boxing for fun and I'm a golf pro so I'll walk 18 holes on an off day 5 miles
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    I lift 3x a week as well.

On off days, I found that light cardio (45 minutes of brisk walking or jogging) actually helps me recover a bit more quickly. If you overdo it, you'll notice the difference in your performance on the next lift day or the one after.

SAM_I_Am77's suggestion of a day or two dedicated to mobility work and stretching isn't a bad idea. You mentioned your just starting out, so you'll probably need to work on mobility for a while in order to hit proper (safe) squat depth.

Thanks for your advice!

I'm just starting out with REALLY lifting, but I've been doing bodyweight exercises (including squats and variations) for over a year. I do below parallel with "perfect" form (according to my personal trainer friend), so I'm pretty confident with my ability to do it with weights. I did some stretching/yoga yesterday because I was sore, and ran my commute rather than briskly walking.

:)