How will you cook your Turkey?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I "roast" it on my Weber grill. I have a little smoke box so I add some smoke early on. It pretty much works just like the oven, but it frees the oven up for other things...plus, it's usually pretty nice here on Thanksgiving and it allows me to just hang out on the patio drinking my old fashioned and watching the turkey cook.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Mine will be cooked like prime rib, because that is what we eat on Thanksgiving.
  • turtlebeth
    turtlebeth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't know what brining is, but it sounds salty?!? I'll be cooking the turkey in the oven like every year, slow and all day with lots of juices basted back over the bird. Works for us and makes ton of leftovers. Yummy
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Brine it and roast it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    turtlebeth wrote: »
    I don't know what brining is, but it sounds salty?!? I'll be cooking the turkey in the oven like every year, slow and all day with lots of juices basted back over the bird. Works for us and makes ton of leftovers. Yummy
    A brine is essentially a salt bath.

It's an extremely effective tool for making a turkey flavorful and juicy, due to one of the mechanisms that happens when the turkey is held in the bath. Any flavor additives you have in the saline solution will be transported deep into the turkey's meat.

It is important to have the right level of salt, of course.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cooks Illustrated method: butterflied and high heat roasted with turkey on a rack placed on top of a pan of stuffing. Best stuffing ever, the turkey juices drip into the stuffing plus plenty of crispy bits around the perimeter of the pan.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Brined, then dried, rubbed in garlic powder, butter and black pepper, and roasted until brown and crispy (check the recipe on the back of the Diamond Kosher Salt box). I follow the Bobby Flay method of making gravy - roast a mess of chicken or turkey wings with aromatics alongside your turkey (or even beforehand) and use that as your base for stock and gravy. Mighty delicious and it makes a TON of stock and plenty of gravy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For a moist-all-the-way-through turkey, "spatchcock" (butterfly) the bird and cut it in quarters. Instead of racks, put a layer of carrots, celery, onions, etc. on the bottom of each pan so the veggies will steam up into the turkey meat. Breast and leg quarters will be in separate pans so the dark meat can be left in the oven a bit longer than the white. Meanwhile, the neck and giblets will be boiling for the gravy.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For a moist-all-the-way-through turkey, "spatchcock" (butterfly) the bird and cut it in quarters. Instead of racks, put a layer of carrots, celery, onions, etc. on the bottom of each pan so the veggies will steam up into the turkey meat. Breast and leg quarters will be in separate pans so the dark meat can be left in the oven a bit longer than the white. Meanwhile, the neck and giblets will be boiling for the gravy.

How do you manage to spatchcock a turkey? They are way tougher to get through than a chicken.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    We're cheating and getting a turkey from Bill Millers (a Texas BBQ joint). I believe they smoke them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In the oven. :p
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My husband insists he is going to deep fry the turkey this year. I have oven roasted the Thanksgiving turkey for the last 15 years because he usually spends the day in the woods. I like it this way. I have a Thanksgiving day routine and he is not a part of it until the sun sets. LOL I may need to drink more mimosas than usual.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There are only four of us this year, so I bought a turkey breast. I'm going to roast it over indirect heat on my charcoal grill. Yummy!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast chucked in the oven until it's done. Simple.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Given the opportunity, I tend to lean towards brining and using the oven.

But I'm on my own, this year and we just had the office thanksgiving potluck, so I may just do something in the microwave, if I'm inclined to do anything special food-wise on Thursday.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In an oven.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Going to fry. but could only find soybean oil this year
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    My grandmother-in-law will roast it in the oven until it is very dry, then we won't eat it until it's room temperature. I love that woman!