How will you cook your Turkey?

velocityc6
velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I know there are many methods, mine will be cooked on a Big Green Egg smoker.

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Alton Brown method! Cook the bird at 500 (yes, 500F) for 30 minutes, insert temp probe into the breast, apply the TURKEY TRIANGLE and continue to cook at 350 until probe reads 161 then take it out and let it rest before carving!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    One in a smoker for many hours, the other deep fried in 12 gallons of oil for not very many minutes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    velocityc6 wrote: »

Thinking going to get it on brine Tuesday, dry it overnight on weds, light smoke for an hour on thursday, then finish it in the oven roasted, or braised. Not sure on the final cook style yet.
  • Da_Big_Kahuna
    Da_Big_Kahuna Posts: 117 Member
    A local Indian place does Tandoori Turkey. That's what we're doing.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    My mother-in-law deep fries her turkey. There will be two this year, so she may roast one and fry the other. I'll be eating the fried one regardless. :smile:
  • anne0925
    anne0925 Posts: 3 Member
    Butterflied and roasted with fresh herbs and citrus.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Alton Brown method! Cook the bird at 500 (yes, 500F) for 30 minutes, insert temp probe into the breast, apply the TURKEY TRIANGLE and continue to cook at 350 until probe reads 161 then take it out and let it rest before carving!

This has always been my method of cooking turkey. Don't forget the brine! However, we are forgoing the turkey this year. Not too many people like it in my family.

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

This has always been my method of cooking turkey. Don't forget the brine! However, we are forgoing the turkey this year. Not too many people like it in my family.

I hate turkey but it's my hubby's favorite holiday so we have a 25 pound bird for just the two of us. We will have so many left overs!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

I hate turkey but it's my hubby's favorite holiday so we have a 25 pound bird for just the two of us. We will have so many left overs!

Oh my! I've made many a dish with leftover turkey!

• zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    velocityc6 wrote: »

I'll also be smoking mine in a BGE. And like dbmata I'll be brining for a day or so in preparation.

When smoking I'm not sure if I'll use a maple/BBQ mop or cover it in a bacon mat to be self-basting...
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    My brother-in-law will deep-fry a turkey... when I cook the turkey I always cook it in one of those Reynolds Oven bags.... the turkey comes out sooooooo moist and tender.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Brining then roasted. We love turkey.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I love roasting and grilling turkeys. Tonight it is pre-thanksgiving with a turkey breast on the grill. I'm shortcutting the side dishes tonight with some lower calorie and quicker versions of what will be made next week. I might roast a small one on Sunday. Haven't decided.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Dry brined, then rinsed, rubbed with herbs and stuffed with celery, onion, and citrus. Finally cooked on the rotisserie in the outdoor grill. Perfectly crispy skin, perfectly juicy and flavorful meat.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    I stuff mine with lemon and orange and garlic wedges. I melt butter and mix that with white wine. I inject the turkey all over with a syringe/needle from work, and pour it inside as well and rub butter on the outside. I season with seasonings ending with Paprika. YUM! I slow bake it, I forget exactly how. I have to ask my dad every year lol.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I cheated and bought a Cajun fried turkey from Popeye's.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited November 2014
    I won't! Thanksgiving day turkey will be cooked by my father in law in the oven, I believe brined then cooked using Alton Brown's recipe, and the day after turkey will be cooked by my mother in a roaster with salt, pepper & onion, always breast down to keep it moist.
  • Like my grandpa did it since the 1940's. Covered with a butter soaked new tea towel and cooked low and slow overnight on 200. It makes the bird tender on the inside and browned and yummy on the outside.
  • Forgot to add that we roast it for 30 min on 400 in the beginning to kill any bad bugs just for precaution
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    I'm pretty sure my dad will deep fry the big bird and cook a smaller one in the oven. B)