Is anyone else addicted to SUGAR?!?

Options
Eating "healthy" isn't terribly difficult for me. I love lean meats and veggies, I can cut out fried stuff where I need to, but eliminating sugary sweets is like kicking a crack habit. Even when I cut out sugar, I still crave the artificial sweeteners (which have their own unique drawbacks) and before long, I'm back to the real thing.

And this isn't just about weight loss. I know all about sugar's negative impact on other health issues I'm dealing with, and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge, yet I still struggle to break the habit long-term.

Anyone else dealing with a similar struggle? Any input or wisdom??

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Prepare for folks to nitpick your use of the word "addicted" and for folks to declare that everything in moderation is the only preferable option.

Good luck. I used to waste tons of calories on sugary snacks and drinks. I ultimately decided to cut out added sugars pretty much cold turkey for a few weeks. I still limit added sugars to 3 grams per serving. In the beginning it took a lot of label reading (they call sugar many things and add tons of it to things that don't need it other than for industrial purposes).

Best thing I ever did for myself, tbh.
    You need to figure out what works for you for the long haul. Everyone's different. cheers!
  • Stacy_WR250
    Options
    You're right - "everything in moderation" is the universal answer for everything! Problem solved! ;)

A few months ago, I also cut added sugar (in all its clever disguises) for two weeks and instantly felt better, but I failed to slowly add it back in with moderation. Instead, I figured I was doing well and "rewarded" myself and eventually wound up back at start. Your approach sounds much more rational. I probably should have had that long term plan in place before I quit cold turkey in the first plan. Thanks for the input!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am also "addicted". i think about it all of the time and can't go a day without chocolate. :\
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions of what you like is the solution. BUT... If you really want to cut out sugar, I suggest you lower the amount of sugary foods, little by little until one day, you're not eating it anymore... cold turkey might not be the way. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're truly addicted, I would recommend counseling.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have that problem too : /. For me, I think it has to do with insomnia. I just try not to have things that have much added sugar in my house, or else I will probably binge, and binge, and binge again...So if I don't have it nearby, I can't eat it :smile:
  • Lasmartchika
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    seriously. this thread again?

Yes, this thread again.. like so many others... you do realize a bunch of new people enter this website everyday? :huh: If the same question bothers you, maybe you should take a step away from the forums. Nobody comes in here already knowledgeable of all fitness and diet.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Yes, this thread again.. like so many others... you do realize a bunch of new people enter this website everyday? :huh: If the same question bothers you, maybe you should take a step away from the forums. Nobody comes in here already knowledgeable of all fitness and diet.

It used to be you were allowed to suggest that someone use the search feature. Two days ago there was a massive massive thread about this. The only reason this question bothers me is because addiction is a serious serious thing. And sugar is not addictive.
  • Lasmartchika
    Options

It used to be you were allowed to suggest that someone use the search feature. Two days ago there was a massive massive thread about this. The only reason this question bothers me is because addiction is a serious serious thing. And sugar is not addictive.

Well, maybe this person wasn't here two days ago. Or she's not stuck the forums like you are. Instead of saying "oh this thread again..." Why don't you guide her and show her how to use the search feature? Then you could be helpful and not be annoyed. She's new... she has only 2 posts. Help the new people, if you don't want to, then just simply ignore the repeated threads. Don't worry, tomorrow this same sugar thread will be repeated. Just like other threads will be repeated constantly. EVERY. DAY.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I was also "addicted" to sugar. My husband and I couldn't go a single meal without dessert. I could literally eat an entire pan of brownies and not even feel queasy. I craved sugar for breakfast and with every single meal. I know your plight. I had to go almost cold turkey. I have been at this for 65 days now and do not have a single craving for any sweets. I allow myself a cheat meal once a week and if I do happen to want something sweet, I'll have it then, but honestly, once I started eating healthily and eliminated all the crap, my cravings just went away. I'm not gonna say the first week or so wasn't hard, but I pulled through. You just have to do what works for you- if you can go cold turkey, then do it. If not, try to cut them out slowly like you have done in the past.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I know all about sugar's negative impact on other health issues I'm dealing with, and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge, yet I still struggle to break the habit long-term.

If you have diagnosed health issues that are impacted by sugar intake, talking to your doctor about strategies for changing your diet or getting a referral to a registered dietician would be a good place to start.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I cut it out for a couple of weeks to remind myself I didn't need it as a crutch when feeling bad and could have perfectly satisfying meals without it (I don't believe it's addictive). After that, I ate it as I wanted, but only within my calories/after my other nutritional goals were met. That keeps it at a moderate level.

A gram limit wouldn't work for me, as I mostly eat "added sugar" at all in stuff like ice cream or the pie I'll probably make for Thanksgiving. Or maybe I toss a bit of the straight 100% stuff in with a rhubarb sauce on occasion.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you can't do moderation for something (make fun of the term all you want, I'm 59 pounds down because of it), then you need to cut it out entirely. Those are literally your only two options.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No. I used to be addicted to nicotine though.

Guess what I did?

I stopped mincing around and quit.

Either eat it or don't.

It's really no one's business what you choose to do, so pick one of those options and quit pretending that it's a world shattering decision for anyone but yourself.

If you seriously believe that artificial sweeteners have "drawbacks", quit them or eat them in small amounts. If you seriously think you have a problem with binging on sugar, seek a professional's help to work out your issues with food and figure out a long term plan you can live with.

Those are your options, no matter what a bunch of strangers on the internet say/think about it.

So pick one and move on with your life already.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you can't do moderation for something (make fun of the term all you want, I'm 59 pounds down because of it), then you need to cut it out entirely. Those are literally your only two options.

Who mocks moderation?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I cut it out for a couple of weeks to remind myself I didn't need it as a crutch when feeling bad and could have perfectly satisfying meals without it (I don't believe it's addictive). After that, I ate it as I wanted, but only within my calories/after my other nutritional goals were met. That keeps it at a moderate level.

A gram limit wouldn't work for me, as I mostly eat "added sugar" at all in stuff like ice cream or the pie I'll probably make for Thanksgiving. Or maybe I toss a bit of the straight 100% stuff in with a rhubarb sauce on occasion.

Rhubarb rocks.
    I don't eat pie, but if I did, rhubarb would be the one.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yes let's blame everything/body else then ourselves, because you don't have any self control over what you eat. Learn moderation, yes you will have bad days, but then you will have good days and eventually you learn moderation. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Yes let's blame everything/body else then ourselves, because you don't have any self control over what you eat. Learn moderation, yes you will have bad days, but then you will have good days and eventually you learn moderation. :)

Or...eat less sugar.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Then eat less sugar, stop congratulating yourselves and move the hell on already.