Is anyone else addicted to SUGAR?!?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Craving sugar can be a sign of diabetes and or insulin resistance. Have you been tested for either?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Yes let's blame everything/body else then ourselves, because you don't have any self control over what you eat. Learn moderation, yes you will have bad days, but then you will have good days and eventually you learn moderation. :)

Or...eat less sugar.

That sounds like moderation
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Yes let's blame everything/body else then ourselves, because you don't have any self control over what you eat. Learn moderation, yes you will have bad days, but then you will have good days and eventually you learn moderation. :)

Or...eat less sugar.

This thread is no place for logic. It's a place for the "whole foods" crowd to sit in smug judgment of those below them.

I don't recall anyone saying that.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your recall doesn't enter into it.

Thanks for the flags, by the way.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge

That's the real issue... when you overindulge.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Your recall doesn't enter into it.

Thanks for the flags, by the way.

If I flagged you, I would tell you :)
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eating "healthy" isn't terribly difficult for me. I love lean meats and veggies, I can cut out fried stuff where I need to, but eliminating sugary sweets is like kicking a crack habit. Even when I cut out sugar, I still crave the artificial sweeteners (which have their own unique drawbacks) and before long, I'm back to the real thing.

And this isn't just about weight loss. I know all about sugar's negative impact on other health issues I'm dealing with, and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge, yet I still struggle to break the habit long-term.

Anyone else dealing with a similar struggle? Any input or wisdom??

OP, what are these health issues you speak of? Also, if you need to cut back on sugar consumption because of health reasons, then decide for yourself. Continue to eat sugar in excess and worsen your prevailing conditions, or make a change, and reduce consumption through whatever means work best for you, be it complete exclusion or work on your determination to consume sugars in moderate amounts. Sugar won't be your downfall. A lack of willpower will. If you can "cut out" fried stuff when you need to, then how's that different from being able to exercise moderation with sugar? In any case, good luck, OP!

PS: I've heard that consuming cinnamon can help reduce sugar cravings. Not sure if that works, but it's something you could try.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge

That's the real issue... when you overindulge.

This. OP: When sugar is consumed in moderation, a person typically won't feel ill- although some are more sensitive than others. Moderation is key. It's not learned overnight. It takes time. You'll screw up more than once but it does become easier.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Eating "healthy" isn't terribly difficult for me. I love lean meats and veggies, I can cut out fried stuff where I need to, but eliminating sugary sweets is like kicking a crack habit. Even when I cut out sugar, I still crave the artificial sweeteners (which have their own unique drawbacks) and before long, I'm back to the real thing.

And this isn't just about weight loss. I know all about sugar's negative impact on other health issues I'm dealing with, and how terrible it makes me feel in general when I overindulge, yet I still struggle to break the habit long-term.

Anyone else dealing with a similar struggle? Any input or wisdom??

OP, what are these health issues you speak of? Also, if you need to cut back on sugar consumption because of health reasons, then decide for yourself. Continue to eat sugar in excess and worsen your prevailing conditions, or make a change, and reduce consumption through whatever means work best for you, be it complete exclusion or work on your determination to consume sugars in moderate amounts. Sugar won't be your downfall. A lack of willpower will. If you can "cut out" fried stuff when you need to, then how's that different from being able to exercise moderation with sugar? In any case, good luck, OP!

PS: I've heard that consuming cinnamon can help reduce sugar cravings. Not sure if that works, but it's something you could try.

I didn't see that OP has health issues until now. OP, if you don't mind sharing, what health conditions do you have? If you have endocrine diseases like diabetes or insulin resistance, that may be why you are craving sugar. That's typically a sign that the diabetes or IR is not well-managed. If you haven't already, you should meet with a registered dietician who can talk to you about how many carbs you should be eating and specifically the kind of carbs that are best for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Or...eat less sugar.

actually, yes, it can be.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Then eat less sugar, stop congratulating yourselves and move the hell on already.

wtf?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

This thread is no place for logic. It's a place for the "whole foods" crowd to sit in smug judgment of those below them.

whisky tango foxtrot that's some warped thinking. Seriously. Seek help. Our decisions to eat less sugar (or not) are not about YOU.

ps: I had garlic/jalapeno olives and wine as a snack tonight. Also not about YOU.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I cut it out for a couple of weeks to remind myself I didn't need it as a crutch when feeling bad and could have perfectly satisfying meals without it (I don't believe it's addictive). After that, I ate it as I wanted, but only within my calories/after my other nutritional goals were met. That keeps it at a moderate level.

A gram limit wouldn't work for me, as I mostly eat "added sugar" at all in stuff like ice cream or the pie I'll probably make for Thanksgiving. Or maybe I toss a bit of the straight 100% stuff in with a rhubarb sauce on occasion.

Rhubarb rocks.
    I don't eat pie, but if I did, rhubarb would be the one.

Homemade strawberry rhubarb pie. . . .mmmm. . . .okay, now I'm hungry.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

whisky tango foxtrot that's some warped thinking. Seriously. Seek help. Our decisions to eat less sugar (or not) are not about YOU.

ps: I had garlic/jalapeno olives and wine as a snack tonight. Also not about YOU.

How dare you drink wine and eat garlic/jalapeno olives - I only eat plain olives - you think you're better than me.

I bet next you're gonna say you drank that wine out of a glass instead of straight out the bottle.

I find your attitude towards food and drink a direct slap in my face!

In answer to the OP question - yes I have found in the past cutting back on junk food (especially chocolate and crisps difficult). Cravings can be hard to overcome.

My approach, which worked for me (so in my own study of one had a 100% success record) and may not work for others is to go cold turkey for about 30 days. Then after 30 days I would look to re-introduce them and see if I could keep eat them in some for of moderation.

The interesting thing is that half the stuff I did used to eat out of 'habit for a better work' I didn't find I wanted or needed to re-introduce.

Anyway, good luck in finding what works for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

How dare you drink wine and eat garlic/jalapeno olives - I only eat plain olives - you think you're better than me.

I bet next you're gonna say you drank that wine out of a glass instead of straight out the bottle.

In answer to the OP question - yes I have found in the past cutting back on junk food (especially chocolate and crisps difficult). Cravings can be hard to overcome.

My approach, which worked for me (so in my own study of one had a 100% success record) and may not work for others is to go cold turkey for about 30 days. Then after 30 days I would look to re-introduce them and see if I could keep eat them in some for of moderation.

The interesting thing is that half the stuff I did used to eat out of 'habit for a better work' I didn't find I wanted or needed to re-introduce.

I used a glass. Stemless. Designed for a white wine. So there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sigh….the dead horse sugar addiction thread has reared its head for the millionth time..

OP - in my humble opinion saying one is addicted to sugar is a smack in the face to people who struggle with real addiction like heroin, crack, etc…

sugar is not the devil….I eat it regularly and haven no issues, and overall health is fine.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I hope you didn't use a stemless glass for white wine - next you'll be saying you chill your red wine!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

I hope you didn't use a stemless glass for white wine - next you'll be saying you chill your red wine!
    Lol. I had to. Dog tails are too hard to control. All our glasses are stemless.
    They are thick and well balanced at least.
    Please don't think less of me. :p
  • prholmes
    Options
    I did go off "added" sugar at one point.. and junk food. I had to keep telling myself it was toxic to my body (which it IS!). But unfortunately I fell off the wagon. Trying to get back on now.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    prholmes wrote: »
    I did go off "added" sugar at one point.. and junk food. I had to keep telling myself it was toxic to my body (which it IS!). But unfortunately I fell off the wagon. Trying to get back on now.
    I eat sugar everyday. I'm alive and healthy.