Weight lifting Questions

Options
13»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can agree with that. I definitely will be abondoning my supersetting habits when I get closer to this comp.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! In a nut shell: Your rest times depend on your exercise lineup. You will want to rest long enough, so you can perform all reps/sets in good form, but not too long to avoid having your heart rate drop and lose intensity, or get cold muscles.
    There is some trial and error involved, best to keep a detailed workout log, so you can adjust over time.
    If you have to wait longer between sets for other reasons (sharing a station, or waiting in line for the next station), just do some light cardio or dynamic stretching to keep your muscles warm and ready.

Happy lifting!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I've been successful with strength + fat loss with 3 days lifting/2-3 days cardio. I started with the New Rules of Lifting book/program. I was actually able to get it from the local library.
  • dangie2002
    dangie2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

This. Heavy weight, if you're wondering what that means, is a weight where you can't do more than 6 reps with PERFECT form.

Thank you for the tip! I'm not afraid of bulk. I know I won't build like a guy.
  • dangie2002
    Options
    poedunk65 wrote: »
    Did you talk to a trainer where you work out?

I work out at a college, I've asked questions, get referred to talk to others, when I email, I don't get responses. I'm trying to navigate this process on my own. Doctor's aren't trained in this. Where I live, we are rural, little resources around us.
  • dangie2002
    Options
    GuitarJerry, Thephoenixisrising, dbmata, jemhh and everyone else on here: THANK YOU for the references for educating myself and the tips. You are all very helpful!! My next concern is knee pain with squats. I have a weak knee along my MCL, old damage from High School. I have been squatting using a wall for form and doing leg presses and curls. I want to do deadlifts. My goal is to be able to do them. I fear adding even a 45# bar when a simple squat creates pain. Any way around this? Is the a strengthening exercise to help overcome this or do I need to be more squats and just working through it?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    dangie2002 wrote: »
    GuitarJerry, Thephoenixisrising, dbmata, jemhh and everyone else on here: THANK YOU for the references for educating myself and the tips. You are all very helpful!! My next concern is knee pain with squats. I have a weak knee along my MCL, old damage from High School. I have been squatting using a wall for form and doing leg presses and curls. I want to do deadlifts. My goal is to be able to do them. I fear adding even a 45# bar when a simple squat creates pain. Any way around this? Is the a strengthening exercise to help overcome this or do I need to be more squats and just working through it?

Joint pain is hard to advise on. There is a group called Eat TrainProgress that has many people willing to help with form if you post video of your form.
  • dangie2002
    Options
    Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I work in a variety of rep ranges. I'm currently working doing undulating periodization for which I work in the 15-20 rep range on Tues, 10 rep range on Thurs and I do my Oly stuff in 3s and 5s on Saturday.

On my high rep day I'm primarily working muscular endurance and stamina and I take the least amount of rest...this is also when I do my super sets...so for example, I'll do some leg presses for 15 and then do a quick set of 20 push-ups and then take my rest of about 60 seconds or so.

I take a bit longer rest periods when I do 10s as the weight is heavier and my priorities are different.

I generally take a full 2 - 3 minutes rest between sets with my Oly work...'cuz throwing up a heavy snatch when you're tired isn't very smart.

I basically take enough rest between sets to allow me to give maximum effort on the next set. I would suggest that if you only needed 30 seconds between sets that possibly what you're doing is too easy.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    dangie2002 wrote: »

Joint pain is hard to advise on. There is a group called Eat TrainProgress that has many people willing to help with form if you post video of your form.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

This is the group^^^
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    lol, yeah, that walk. The gym I lift at is on the second floor of the Y.

I finished out a heavy squat session with 300 reps of leg extensions. I stood up and immediately took a knee. Eventually toddled to the stairs and proceeded to almost fall down them. lol.

I sometimes think about sleeping in my basement after a heavy workout. It's where my "gym" is, and sometimes those stairs are just so daunting after. D:
  • dangie2002
    Options

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! There is so much to read in here!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've had some issues with MCL and LCL in my left knee. My rehab both times (this and a previous) has been lunges, squats, box step ups. Hurt my knee in April, couldn't do more than about 150-155 pounds in a back squat. Last week hit 345 for 6. I still get pain going up and down stairs, but aggressive squatting, lunges, step ups, jumps, and some isolation work under supervision has done a lot for rehabbing it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM, because I do my cardio workout after my strength splits. I let the HRM guide me on how long to rest. A challenging set sends my heart rate to 140-148, a less challenging set sends my heart rate to 120. I start the next set when my heart rate is below 100, but that is a random unscientific choice of number. My normal resting heart rate is 58.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I wear an HRM, because I do my cardio workout after my strength splits. I let the HRM guide me on how long to rest. A challenging set sends my heart rate to 140-148, a less challenging set sends my heart rate to 120. I start the next set when my heart rate is below 100, but that is a random unscientific choice of number. My normal resting heart rate is 58.
    I'm mostly wearing a HR monitor, too, and in the beginning, I went by heart rate as well, to time my recovery.
    However, as I got fitter, the heart rate dropped rather quickly, and I ended up depriving my muscles of needed rest between sets. I went back to the stop watch, and pre-set rest times, depending on the type of workout and goal.