how do you avoid putting on weight when with the flu?

Options
I always gain at least 5 pound when I've got the flu. I think partially because I'm off work for a couple of days, partially cause I don't workout when I'm sick. I don't think I'm overeating, hardly eating anything,mostly tea, unsweetened. Any ideas?

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about losing weight when ill. I would worry about getting rid of the flu.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about losing weight when ill. I would worry about getting rid of the flu.

Ditto.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just getting over the flu. Everything that went in... came back out. Lost 6 lbs in 3 days. Also gained backed those lbs of lost fluids over the last few days. How do you gain when you're sick?
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I really don't know , honestly , but I always do. Always have . then it takes me over a week when I get better to get back to previous shape. Maybe its just liquids getting out slow, I don't know
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Juvenica wrote: »
    I really don't know , honestly , but I always do. Always have . then it takes me over a week when I get better to get back to previous shape. Maybe its just liquids getting out slow, I don't know

Putting on 5 pounds over a 3 day flu - losing that 5 pounds a week after.....sounds like water weight and not a terribly bad thing.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Pretty much.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When you're ill, especially with a fever, you retain water (inflammation). Don't worry about it; just focus on getting better.
  • Juvenica
    Options
    Bfdeal , love ur idea man :smiley:
  • _Southern_Comfort_
    Options
    Last time I had the flu, I lost about 10 lbs through throwing up, dehydration, and not being able to eat. I have no idea how anyone could possibly gain weight if you have the flu.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Juvenica wrote: »
    I always gain at least 5 pound when I've got the flu. I think partially because I'm off work for a couple of days, partially cause I don't workout when I'm sick. I don't think I'm overeating, hardly eating anything,mostly tea, unsweetened. Any ideas?
    This is an issue I have never had...I'm usually good for losing 10 pounds with a flu!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Last time I had the flu, I lost about 10 lbs through throwing up, dehydration, and not being able to eat. I have no idea how anyone could possibly gain weight if you have the flu.

Unfortunately, this has always been my experience as well. I suppose someone who gains is just retaining water probably from drinking more fluids and not being as active.
  • _Southern_Comfort_
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Unfortunately, this has always been my experience as well. I suppose someone who gains is just retaining water probably from drinking more fluids and not being as active.

I wish I could retain some fluids when I have the flu. I retain them in a bucket beside my bed.
  • Juvenica
    Options
    hahahaha , well , unfortunately I'm not any lighter , but at least my mood has improved a lot, thanks guys
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You "don't think" you are overeating? Well, are you, or aren't you? Are you still logging your food accurately? Even not feeling well, you can still log. Or if you are seriously at death's door, you can either write down/photograph everything you eat, or even pre-prepare meals before you get sick, if you feel it coming on.
  • Juvenica
    Options
    I came to mfp about a week ago , so I'm still new to the whole calorie counting, I'm trying to do my best , since I am not american, don't even live in USA, and most of my food is homemade, of the slow-food kind. But will follow your advice and keep a sharper eye.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    i just got over bronchitis. I gained 2lbs of water. now that i am better that water weight wooshed away and I am back down to what i was, plus i lost an additional pound. I wouldn't worry about it. It probably will come right off when you start to feel better. The body holds onto water when you are sick.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The vomiting, diarrhea and inability to eat prevent me from gaining weight with the flu.

If I get a cold and am extra hungry, I will eat a little more. :)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I never get flu but when I'm sick I barely eat anything. I just don't have the appetite for it. MFP always yells at me for only eating 100-300 calories when I'm supposed to be eating 1470.

Also that would be water weight you gained. I usually don't weigh when sick because it's usually messed up with me.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Don't get the flu.

ditto.annual flu jab .